S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

7G Tronic - down shift problem solved

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 E320 CDI
7G Tronic - down shift problem solved

I couldn't find this fix anywhere, so thought I'd post it:

So I recently upgraded my old, but perfect E320 cdi to an old but perfect S320 cdi. All the extra toys (and I do mean pretty much all) and barolo red so totally loving it.... however, a week after buying it the 7G automatic started giving me a rough downshift when cold at the lowest end. It was basically like a kick in the pants until it has warmed up. This has now gone on for a month....

I was not impressed, especially as I don't have Star, and as the car hard a full MB service history + a very recent MB completed gear box oil & filter change.

I was thinking all sorts of things about valve bodies etc. until I wondered whether this might be the adaptive learning....

Now I've had great success in the past with using a different styled of driving to 'tweak' adaptive functions. It takes a while but it's a god send for those cars where you can't easily fully reset the adaptives without an oem diagnostic kit.

So I started dropping the S320 into neutral when coasting to a stop. Low and behold, one week later and its back to normal. No more kicks!

So give it a go if you have the same issue.
The following users liked this post:
Parkl (12-10-2018)