S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Compartment Door problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 S550 4Matic
Compartment Door problem

I'm talking about the door that closes the cup holder compartment in the center console, not the ashtray door or the large armrest door. It used to open with a single push down. one click open, one click close.
I think this is the part number 221-810-05-29
something happened & now it doesn't open with a single click. I have to manually lift the door open. It doesn't click into the closed position either. it looks like it closes too far.
anyone seen this before? is the door broken or the console broken?
Thanks
Old 10-14-2017, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by supralance
I'm talking about the door that closes the cup holder compartment in the center console, not the ashtray door or the large armrest door. It used to open with a single push down. one click open, one click close.
I think this is the part number 221-810-05-29
something happened & now it doesn't open with a single click. I have to manually lift the door open. It doesn't click into the closed position either. it looks like it closes too far.
anyone seen this before? is the door broken or the console broken?
Thanks
Nope, have not seen that.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 S 550
Mine too...I took pulled the rubber stops out and unscrewed the torx screws to see how the lid works...seems there's a spring mechanism on the right hand side of the cup holder section...

Anybody have an idea how to repair or must I buy the whole piece?

thx...Mike
Old 01-19-2018, 01:39 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Mercedes-Benz 2007 S550, 2012 S550 4-Matic, 2015 GL450
Originally Posted by mmmikemo
Mine too...I took pulled the rubber stops out and unscrewed the torx screws to see how the lid works...seems there's a spring mechanism on the right hand side of the cup holder section...

Anybody have an idea how to repair or must I buy the whole piece?

thx...Mike
Have you determined that it’s the panel that is the problem and not the dual cup holder assembly that sits inside? The cup holder assembly has a small protuding cam at the end that pops up when the panel is open and lays flush when the panel is closed. What it does is it releases the cup holder assembly springs so it can elevate. Hard to describe without photos...sometimes that finger cam which is part of a gear skips a teeth and then it jams and then it is hard to close the panel. If not the cup holder assembly then it’s probably an alignment issue with the cup holder panel. In the past, I’ve just gently tugged on one end or the other until it lines up correctly and the gap looks correct when closed.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:16 PM

2010 S 550
Thank you KNB,

I don't see the cup holder cam you are speaking about...I only have the lock to lock the dual holder into place. I did pull on the panel as you suggested and now it can lie flat and is correctly lined up...although, it doesn't work like it used to...I cannot depress the front of the cover and have it raise...I have to push on the rear of the cover to open it...

So, it is still not like it should be, tho much better aligned...I still think it is the spring on the side of the compartment that needs to be realigned or replaced...
Any other thoughts?

thx...Mike
Old 02-13-2018, 11:42 AM

2010 S 550
Can anyone help guide me?... I recognize that it is not a critical component but every time I get in the car with water, I have to push on the rear of the cup holder lid and push it down to open.

Has anyone ever replaced/adjusted the spring mechanism on the cup holder compartment that is located on the passenger side of the compartment?

thx...Mike
Old 03-21-2018, 03:45 PM

2010 S 550
Bump...still trying to figure this out...someone must have had a malfunction with their drink holder compartment lid...

thx...Mike
Old 03-24-2018, 05:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Mercedes-Benz 2007 S550, 2012 S550 4-Matic, 2015 GL450
You need to remove the cup holder tray. Pull off the two rubber stops at the corner of the tray. This will reveal two t20 toro screws. Unscrew them and remove. Then lift the entire tray and compartment door cover assembly. The cover you are having problems with is spring loaded. There are two springs seen from the back side of the assembly. The cover locks and unlocks based on the cams on each side. I’m thinking your cover door is out of alignment with the cams. I have attached photos for reference.
Exposed T20 screw.

Springs on each side. The spring could be broken or popped out.

The cam for the cover on each side. It should stop on retract. The cam could be out of alignment with the hung for the cover door.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:04 PM

2010 S 550
Awesome...I'm on it...I'll let you know the result.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:50 PM

2010 S 550
Ok, Finally got to it...turns out these pics must be from a different year/console as mine doesn't look like this...it has a compression spring on one side and another spring/wire that appears to control the open close function that is not malfunctioning. I can't find any tab to hook the wire over that makes sense. Maybe it is the entire wire that has lost its elasticity. It kinda looks very lightweight to perform this function.
I'm going to try some body shops/dealers in town to see if they can help...thanks so much
Old 06-21-2018, 12:22 PM

2011 S550 4Matic
I fixed mine today, I think the problem you are having is the same as mine. When I say Left/Right, I mean from behind the console looking forward toward the ashtray.
The left side console has a plastic tab broken off. The tab is what catches the coiled up spring attached to the door hinge.
The spring on the right side keeps popping off, but doesn't seem to effect its operation, because mine is working without it.
I drilled a small hole next to where the tab was. I cut down a small nail & fed it through from the inside of the compartment. Once the spring was attached to the nail, everything was back to functioning.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:54 AM

gl320 cdi
Hey supralance, I have the same issue. Can you please walk me through the steps and if possible with pics how to fix this. I’ve taken apart the unit and can’t figure out your genius fix. Thanks
Old 06-23-2018, 01:26 PM

2011 S550 4Matic

White nail, left side, rear of compartment

Drill hole, push thru from inside compartment
A piece of plastic on the outside of the compartment broke off. I didn't notice it until the second time I had it apart. You have to remove the door to see it & fix it. I left the mesh attached. Check it out with a bright light.
The piece of plastic would catch the spring that is self contained on the door, left side.
I trimmed down the nail so it would mimic the tab that broke off, and not be too long as to bind up the works. When reassembling use a pick or a small screwdriver to make the end of the spring grab the nail.
I'm still not sure what the spring on the right does, but mine doesn't stay in place, works like new without it...I drove it almost a year with broken, such a bummer
Old 06-23-2018, 07:47 PM

gl320 cdi
Wow. That is so nice of you to take the time to share. I’m going take it apart again. Hopefully I understand what you did. I’ll let you know. Thanks
Old 02-08-2022, 09:36 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Mine would stay open. I took it apart and realized some clips are broken.
I took the springs out and now can manually close or open it when needed. Its not terribly important to me and it holds an iced tea when I need it.