S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Buying advice from DIYers needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 11:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Current: 2007 E350 P1 and P2
Buying advice from DIYers needed

Hi guys,

I'm a long-term E class owner and am toying with the idea of buying a used S class. What I'm hoping for is a departure from the normal answers you'd expect from this scenario. My suspicion is that the great majority of S owners posting will say that I need to buy a very new model with few miles, an impeccable service history, and a warranty, ideally as a CPO from the dealer. I'm not interested in that approach. Rather what I'd like to get opinions on is how much more service-intensive the S models are from the E class, especially from the perspective of those of you who DIY.

I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've had my cars in to the dealer for service in the last ten years (tires/balancing notwithstanding). Here's what I do/have done myself:

Oil and filter changes (from the top, with good fleece filters and Mobil 1, using an 8 quart pump)
Transmission fluid and filter changes (with torque converter drains when possible and with the "lots of fluid" method when not)
Crankshaft sensor replacements
Belt tensioner and idler pulley replacement (plus belts of course)
Differential fluid changes
Brake pad and rotor replacements front and rear
ESP sensor replacement (in the steering column)
Plug and coil replacements
Valve covers
Bumper cover removal and headlight lens upgrades
Fuel filter replacement
Windshield washer nozzle replacement (after they were blocked by that damn RainX stuff)

There's probably more that I can't really think of at the moment. I'm no big mechanic or anything but I haven't been afraid of this stuff and could always learn more.

My question, then, is how much more do y'all think I would be in for with an S class over an E? I'd avoid any car with ABC and I'd be prepared for an Arnott swap of busted bags/shocks. The idea I toy with is finding a car with some age on it but maybe not so much mileage, preferably from one of the local Florida little old ladies with 50k or so on it, then do the transmission service right away. I'd maintain the sh*t out of it and pile on the miles. Do you think this could be a reasonable proposition? I wouldn't mess with a Star system but would instead go to an Indy for resets if necessary, and I do have a code reader for basic stuff.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-01-2018, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 128 Posts
Depends on the weather
Most people will say don't do it with no warranty.

Having owned an S550 and S600, look for something that was taken care of. If the miles are on the higher end but it was driven by an elderly woman who babied it, it's likely a good buy. You can have one with 50k miles that was beat down to the ground. Don't be afraid to travel to find the right one. I buy my cars out to FL from snow birds and drive them back to MD. No matter how pristine a car is, it will break in one way or another at some point. Just put aside money for those repairs when they happen. The S550 engine is easier to work on since you have more room in the engine bay. The v12 bay is pretty tight.

You can be proactive and depending on the miles, go ahead and buy the common things that fail here and there in all cars online so you already have it on hand...spark plugs, coils, water pump, brake pads,

If you're DIY like me, you can do a lot and not have to visit the dealer. Everything was put tgether which means it can be taken apart and put back together. Instructions are out there for just about everything and youtube videos.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Wodeshed (02-03-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 05:12 PM

Received 168 Likes on 128 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
It's important to get the car that has many of the features you need that's within your budget. Star system in my opinion is mandatory and essential tool for these cars.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Current: 2007 E350 P1 and P2
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking that the added complexity of the S class vs the E may not be that big a deal as long as I avoid the 12 cylinders and ABC suspension. I'll just be prepared for the air suspension issues as they arise.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
The older they are, the more they'll bury you in costs.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
Listen if you have a good tool box and are handy, short of a trans failure/computer fail your pretty good to go.
The following users liked this post:
John Choi (02-04-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 05:38 PM

Received 168 Likes on 128 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by DaveW68
The older they are, the more they'll bury you in costs.
Sure, if you run to dealer for service.

My car is approaching 190,000 miles, it's a 2007 where the prior owner (fleet vehicle I imagine) had all of the services done religiously along with a number of the recalls, things like updated cam shaft adjustment magnets. I've had a number of small issues with it in the 8 months that I owned it...

1. Front sway bar links were bad, car would make clunking noises on the smoothest of roads. Cost $120 for the pair and replaced them myself, that's less than what the dealer charges for one hour of their time.
2. Heater Control Valve fell apart, could have been catastrophic since it fell apart as I parked. Cost $54 for the part and I replaced it and topped off the coolant, again cost less than one hour of dealer time.
3. Oil Cooler Gaskets deteriorated leading to oil appearing in the coolant reservoir. Cost for two gaskets $24, thernostat(you have to remove it, might as well replace it and it was worn) for $65. I did all of the work on this and it involved removing the belt tensioner, belt, thermostat, oil cooler, coolant flush and oil change.
4. A number of software updates: Command(birds eye view, video option, FM traffic updates), Audio System, Telaide to mbrace, radar sensors, enabled Aux after installing iPOD integration kit that I bought for $117 with the wiring harness making it plug and play.
5. I was continually getting an ESP and ABS message which was driving me crazy, no adaptive cruise control, no parking assist, along with the use of ESP and ABS. To me the car isn't great to drive without these features. STAR was telling me that the speed sensor wasn't visible even though I had purchase a new one. After a few hours of figuring out what could be wrong, I sprayed some brake cleaner into the hole that the speed sensor goes in and that eliminated the sensor not visible error. I then used STAR to reset the errors and then performed one of the guided tests and that fixed the problem.

I could have been buried in costs but I know how to work on a car, I know how to work on this car.

Side Note: I drove a friends 2013 Honda Accord with 8,000 miles on it, the edge that Accord has over my S550? The bluetooth connectivity for your phone or music player, but that car didn't have navigation so I guess it's a wash. No comparison with respect to ride, comfort, acceleration, sound system and safety.