S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

2009 S550 no start and a funny clock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 08:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2009 S550

Took the car to the grocery store to grab some essentials, and when I got back in to start it, no start, and the clock started quickly running backwards and wouldn't stop until I got out and locked the car with the remote. Tried to jump with no avail, so I'll have to deal with it in the morning.

The battery is only about 3 years old, but I'm hoping that's the issue (obviously). Anybody have any thoughts on what the issue might be?
The following 2 users liked this post by justinmorrison:
FATMIR (04-10-2018), Sharingit (09-13-2020)
Old 03-04-2018, 09:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 S550
Originally Posted by justinmorrison
Took the car to the grocery store to grab some essentials, and when I got back in to start it, no start, and the clock started quickly running backwards and wouldn't stop until I got out and locked the car with the remote. Tried to jump with no avail, so I'll have to deal with it in the morning.

The battery is only about 3 years old, but I'm hoping that's the issue (obviously). Anybody have any thoughts on what the issue might be?
I had a very similar issue and it turned out to be the battery (the one for the electronics). I had to open the car with the physical key since the remote didn't do anything (initially I thought it might be the remote key battery). Once inside, the car did start but the clock started going backwards and some of the "features" that are powered by electricity were turned off: dynamic contour on the seats, chair moving forward/backwards when entering/exiting the car, touching the handle to lock the car, etc. Did that happen to you too?

As I drove the car and did multiple stops (it was a shopping trip), they started to come back online slowly; I reckon the battery was charging back. Prior to this, in a 14 days span, I only drove twice for a quick groceries drive and the weather was cold and I was using a lot of the heating options. Now if you're saying the car doesn't start at all, I don't know, you could have both batteries (main + electronics) discharged?

By the way, anyone here knows how these two batteries work together? Does one charge the other or ... ?
Old 03-04-2018, 10:05 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2009 S550
If I recall, the 2009 W221 doesn't have the separate starter battery, so just one under the hood, nothing in the truck. I don't know if any electronic features didn't work, as the car wouldn't start, and that was my primary concern. Keyless entry (both touching the handle and with the key) worked fine, but obviously those features don't require as much power as turning over the engine. Going to pick up a battery today and swap it out and keeping my fingers crossed.
The following users liked this post:
FATMIR (04-10-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 01:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Bobitza
By the way, anyone here knows how these two batteries work together?
See attachment.
Attached Files
Old 04-10-2018, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes benz s550 4matic

Hello i have the same car and same problem the car wont start at all, and i have the funny clock thing too. Did you fix it? what was wrong? i have a almost new OEM battery in the the car that is a month old so, i dont think i have a battery problem, the key is working properly and the push button too i think? please any help would be appreciated