S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission Fluid Replacement questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 07:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2006 S430 AMG
Transmission Fluid Replacement questions

I'm almost ready to start the Transmission Fluid change on S550 4matic and have done quite a bit of research on the subject. Lot of info out there (which is great). I still have few questions and was wondering if any of you guys might be able to help:
1. How do I find out which exact transmission model I have (I believe there is a NAV2 version which requires a completely different fluid?)
2. I usually replace the fluid I remove from the car. I know the procedure to measure the temp/dripping is important, but just trying to figure out the risk with simply replacing the same amount of fluid as removed and skipping temp/dripping procedure all together.
3. Where can I get the torque converter chute? I was thinking about simply cutting out a piece of plastic bottle into the shape of the chute....
4. based on the research I've done, transfer case uses transmission fluid correct?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-22-2018, 08:04 PM

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts
2003 S55 (SOLD) , 2012 S550
Post the VIN and I or someone else will be able to look up the tranny.
I cant speak for the 4matic but i did my fluid a few weeks ago and was only able to get a little more than half out...so i ordered the hose coming from the tranny to the cooler so i can do a fluid exchange while the car is running. Have been doing that with my old S55 for years and sold the car with first tranny and engine at 250k.
In my case i did not need the chute as the hole is directly under the converter screw but mine is a 2012 S550 and i believe the ones before did not have it like that but i would think that anything that deflects the fluid will work.

Good luck....
Old 05-22-2018, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 S 550
You might try the VIN Decoder. When I ran mine it contained some trans. information, maybe what you are looking for.

https://www.vindecoderz.com/
Old 05-23-2018, 10:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2007 Mercedes S550
Having the correct trans fluid level is important for the transmission. How do you know that the current level is correct, maybe its low now and you would only be bringing the new fluid level to low again. Seems like a lot of risk, a rebuilt or new transmission is huge money. Checking the fluid level by bringing the trans to temp and then letting the excess run out is easy, not sure why your wanting to skip this important step??? It would worry me all the time if I did not know,
Just follow all the steps in the write-ups here and on the web. I was worried about the process and spent a bunch reading time before I did the service. I have the Car Soft Scanner and you can monitor the fluid temp with the scanner. Leave the transmission overnight so its cool when you start the process. Then you will have plenty of time while the fluid is warming to open up the valve to let out excess.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:25 PM

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts
2003 S55 (SOLD) , 2012 S550
Not sure how you got to the fill level from my post but ok.

In my old car that had a dipstick i always put about a quart short when i exchanged the fluid and then after running it a bit filled it to spec.

On the 722.9 i will put about 1 quart extra into it and then after warming it to the correct temp will go under it and release to spec.

My post was simply pointing out HOW to replace the fluid.....