S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

2012 w221 collapsed right front

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550, 2012 S550
2012 w221 collapsed right front

2012 S550 39k mi. During 15 min drive to work in the a.m. pushed the lift button, dash message indicated vehicle raising. Came out after work and noticed the car looked seriously raked but didn't think much beyond that. It's only

1 month new to me and thought, let me check later if the previous owner installed a kit or something. Got home, no lights or warnings but during the drive I noticed the wheel mildly pulling to the right. Pulled in the garage walked

around back and damn, she's leaning hard to the right. Walked around the front and the pass side front appears completely collapsed. The driver side is low-er but ok looking. Took out my iSoft MBII and no codes! none! tried the

raise button, no sound, no response. Read the position sensors actuals, I didn't jot them down but the front right was reading -2. something iirc. I don't know what the expected reading is. I'm still searching through the forums and I

see to look for a 40 amp fuse in the fuse box in front on the drivers side for the air pump. I checked the top of the strut for cracks or damage but it looks near pristine. So now I'm totally collapsed on the rh side. Can anyone help

with a troubleshooting workflow or tip sheet? I've seen mention of a airmatic reset? I'm looking to diy until I can't

Thanks in advance
Old 07-11-2018, 07:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
S600
Are you saying it is raised in normal position while the engine is running and you're driving, but lowering after you park it? After it sits a couple hours, it's even lower, right? If so, it could be some fuse or a setting with software, but it sounds more like a leak at that strut or a line going to the strut. The pump could go out if you drive it too much because it's running constantly (or more than normal) to keep that corner raised. I'm not too familiar with the air ride on this car because I have ABC, but you'd think you could try some soapy water to check for air leaks as a first step, if you're trying to DIY. I'm sure someone has a better suggestion, but until then, that's where I'd start. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2018, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550, 2012 S550
Hi Jtsnyder, thanks for getting back to me.

This is the fist time this issue has occurred and it happened just yesterday. As I recollect on yesterday, as I pulled out of my community onto the street and I remember thinking the ride felt a little rough, so I selected Comfort and the dash indicator acknowledged that, next I pushed the Raise button and saw the message it was Raising... Honestly it's the first time I remember

pushing that button and seeing the Raising... message. It may have been slowly dipping prior to all this but I didn't notice it. I grab some leak check at napa later but at this point, I don't think there is any air in it. I'm still thinking I should hear a pump or something when I turn it on, but so far nothing. Thanks again.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 S550 4Matic
I had issues on a previous MB, I found & fixed an air leak in the line that went under the battery tray (W212). I discovered it by hearing the air escaping after I turned the car off.
I've also replaced air struts by using Arnott Industries manufactured parts. Good value, just time consuming by shipping to FL & back. I hope they are making replacement struts for this car.
I tried rule out the distribution block by taking it to the dealer & having the tech test the individual struts, but by jacking the pressures on the individual struts, I think he blew a few out. Immediately after taking it to the dealer the car was undriveable. I had to replace the front right strut, then the rear air bags.
All good after that
GL