S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

S550 4 Matic Trans Swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 S550 4 Matic
S550 4 Matic Trans Swap

Hi Guys,

Just found out the hard way about these glass transmissions, i had the car for a while, flushed and filled the trans every 24k, and while cruising down the road, she gave a hard downshift, and stalled. Started right back up, no lights on the dash, will register the gear (R,N,D,P) on the guage cluster, but car will not move, had it towed to mercedes, the pulled the pan, fluid clean, but metal shavings and "lots" of clutch friction material in the bottom of the pan, so they came to the conclusion i need a new trans, quoted me 7500 bucks. I found a nice used trans out of a 2011 with 30k on it for cheap and bought it, i know i need to have the tcu flashed abd married to the car, and im most likely just gonna let the dealer flush and refill the system for me, but figured id try to save the 4500 in labor they want to swap out the trans. Has anyone pulled the trans in their w221 before? Just curious what im getting into, ive done heavy mechanical work before , but i just have hand tools and some ramps 😁, any special tools i need, any tips to make it go smoother?

thanks