S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Airmatic Suspension Control Valve Block Replacement

Old 09-26-2018, 01:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W221
Airmatic Suspension Control Valve Block Replacement

I have a 2007 S550 W221.

I have had the Airmatic Suspension error light (Car with Arrow pointing Up) in my dash ever since I bought it. Since the car looked level and goes up and down as it should, I never bothered with it. I finally took it into my indy shop to diagnose an unrelated issue and the mechanic diagnosed this light as well. After going through some STAR computer screens, he declared that the ARIMATIC Suspension Control Valve Block (Part No. 212-320-03-58) was defective and needed to be replaced. I am now looking to DIY the replacement and have the following questions:

1. Should I access this valve from the bottom of the car, from the front right wheel well, or the front bumper? What would be the easiest approach?
2. Does the compressor needs to be removed to access this valve?
3. How critical is this part in terms of Original Mercedes vs. non-OE parts (eBay)? eBay prices range from $125 to $250 for non-OE and $350+ for Genuine Mercedes.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by Sumit Bhasin; 09-26-2018 at 06:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-26-2018, 04:36 PM

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
'15 S550, '10 E350 P1/P2, '02 ML320
Originally Posted by Sumit Bhasin
I am not looking to DIY the replacement and have the following questions:
Just to clarify, you stated you are not looking to DIY, assuming you meant you are looking to, yes?

1. Should I access this valve from the bottom of the car, from the front right wheel well, or the front bumper? What would be the easiest approach?
- When I replaced mine last year I removed the right front wheel and fender liner and was able to get at all the fasteners and connections. The only thing that would have made it easier would have been to remove the bumper, but I didn't need to

- No

3. How critical is this part in terms of Original Mercedes vs. non-OE parts (eBay)? eBay prices range from $125 to $250 for non-OE and $350+ for Genuine Mercedes.
- No experience here, I bought the Mercedes Part because I found a deal, which has since evaporated. I bought mine for $249 for the Mercedes-branded new part, it is now $350 from the same supplier.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W221
Thanks dlafever,
I meant to write "I am NOW looking to DIY". My lazy fingers betray me every now and then!

Thanks for sharing your experience. Appreciate it very much.
The following users liked this post:
dlafever (09-27-2018)
Old 12-05-2021, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
Originally Posted by dlafever
Just to clarify, you stated you are not looking to DIY, assuming you meant you are looking to, yes?

- When I replaced mine last year I removed the right front wheel and fender liner and was able to get at all the fasteners and connections. The only thing that would have made it easier would have been to remove the bumper, but I didn't need to

- No

- No experience here, I bought the Mercedes Part because I found a deal, which has since evaporated. I bought mine for $249 for the Mercedes-branded new part, it is now $350 from the same supplier.
Did you had to use any special steps to replace the valve block?
I mean like raise all the wheels , how to refill the system with air, etc.?
I am trying to do mine and trying to figure it out if I just raise the front at the middle is enough and is it as simple as disconnect air hoses reconnect, reassemble everything and turn on car?