S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2 Separate issues - Fuel Leak Smell & Parking Brake Inoperative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S550
2 Separate issues - Fuel Leak Smell & Parking Brake Inoperative

Hi all,

First off - Shout out to this forum for helping me order refurbished Arnott front springs for my airmatic issue that I had several months ago. I was able to return my OEM springs to Arnott for a credit - and get their refurbished parts installed to my car. It has been driving fine ever since and I believe I saved a ton thanks to your recommendations.

Now I have a couple issues with my 2008 S550. First off, there is a heavy fuel smell that emits from the cabin whenever I fill the car up with gas. After driving maybe 30-50 miles, the fuel smell is no longer. However it is most present in the back seat and I feel bad for my passengers as they have to take in the harsh odors of gasoline. I know the 2008 E class had a class action lawsuit involving bad fuel tanks and sender units:https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...robe/20800823/ but every time I contacted my local dealer - they told me to buzz off and that my car is not affected by that fuel tank issue. Please advise on this!

Secondly - I set my parking brake and it doesn't release the brake properly. I get a message on the dash that reads Parking Brake Inoperative; See manual. It also leaves a yellow PARK sign on the dashboard despite several attempts to release the parking brake.

I honestly love this car and I have maintained it quite well I believe -- but at 89k Miles and these 2 issues -- I am considering unloading. Please let me know your thoughts on repairing these items! Thanks.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:11 AM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
'15 S550, '10 E350 P1/P2, '02 ML320
When I bought my 2008 S550 last two years ago it had the fuel smell issue as well. For me it was as simple as replacing the fuel filter and gasket around the opening of the tank where the fuel filter sits. I'm a DIY type so don't think much of just fixing these types of issues, actually looking forward to it when it occurs. At 145k miles, it feels like we are just getting started...

If you are leaking fuel out of the top of your tank, it could just be a matter of time before the car becomes a bomb so don't delay getting it sorted!

As for the parking brake, I have only used mine once, during a regular service checkup. I do remember that the motor for the electronic parking brake can get crusty and jam, preventing proper operation of the unit. No info other than that.
The following users liked this post:
southbayagent (04-03-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 10:21 PM

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
Remove the rear seat and remove the 2 access hole covers. Your chassis is not affected by the W211 recall. Most likely you will find fuel puddling on top of the right or left fuel tank covers. If fuel is found on the left, I believe you will need a new fuel filter assembly. If fuel is found on the right, I believe you can get a new cover and seal.
The following users liked this post:
southbayagent (04-03-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 12:08 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2007 CL550
I'm having this exact same issue with my CL550. I discovered a large pool of gas on top of the fuel filter. I had asked where the fuel was coming from since there are so tubes coming out but apparently from above it seems it would leak from the ring (faulty gasket). Does anyone know the best place to get a quick replacement? Thoughts on OEM vs cheaper non-OEM versions I've seen on Amazon?