MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W221) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w221-74/)
-   -   4Matic Question (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w221/734036-4matic-question.html)

Bklyn 01-25-2019 10:00 PM

4Matic Question

Hi all;

I have been reading up on 4Matic and was wondering what those who live in cold and snowy climates think about it.

I am about to go through my first year of driving on snow up in Boston. I have Very good all weather tires that only have about 10,000 miles on them so they have lots of meat left. I keep them at 37 PSI as per the instruction in the door jam.

Is there anything I need to know? Do You like 4Matic in winter? As an aside, I read that the vehicle is powered with 40% pull from the front and 60% from the back under normal conditions. Is that correct?

LOVE to get some feedback 4Matic if you can find a minute to answer me.

Best to you all.

EasyPhil 01-25-2019 11:34 PM

Great for the snow, I've had it on 3 vehicles and never had a problem getting into or out of a parking spot with 4Matic.

lkchris 01-26-2019 12:42 AM

Those in the know call all-season tires no-season tires.

A set of actual winter tires will make a noticeable difference.

Bklyn 01-26-2019 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPhil (Post 7664446)
Great for the snow, I've had it on 3 vehicles and never had a problem getting into or out of a parking spot with 4Matic.

Thanks. You know, it is iterating; on uTube people go back and fourth endlessly on what is the best 4 wheel drive system. 4Matic, Quattro, iDrive. Maybe I am wrong because I am new to high end cars such as these but is there really a clear "winner" and does it really matter. My thinking is that if you have one of these cars and the all wheel drive works well for you, is there a real winner? Furthermore, you can, for example, measure 0-60 speed as it can be objective. ow do you measure, in any meaningful way, an all wheel drive system and compare it to others?

Bklyn 01-26-2019 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by lkchris (Post 7664466)
Those in the know call all-season tires no-season tires.

A set of actual winter tires will make a noticeable difference.

This statement is an eye opener to me. I have never thought of it or heard that.

Tell me, what do you do? Do you have a set of summer tires and a set of winter tires? If so, do you have an extra set of wheels and y0u just swap them out or do you mount each time? Can you give an example of great summer tires and winter tires?

Love to hear more about this if you can find the time. Thanks in advance either way.

EasyPhil 01-27-2019 09:36 AM

Just enjoy your car, there's always something newer or better.

yeziam 01-28-2019 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bklyn (Post 7664616)
This statement is an eye opener to me. I have never thought of it or heard that.

Tell me, what do you do? Do you have a set of summer tires and a set of winter tires? If so, do you have an extra set of wheels and y0u just swap them out or do you mount each time? Can you give an example of great summer tires and winter tires?

Love to hear more about this if you can find the time. Thanks in advance either way.

I run snow tires in the winter on the stock 19" wheels and have a set of 20" wheels with summer tires. Some people use the same wheels and swap the tires. I have storage for the offseason wheelset, but a lot of dealers and shops here will store your tires or wheels as part of an installation package deal.

I drive a lot all over MN and cannot call in sick or be late on account of the weather so snow tires and AWD is a necessity. Snow tires make the car much more predictable and stable. Keep in mind that although snow tires help with cornering and acceleration, the real benefit is the braking performance in snow and ice. I have had snow tires on my daily driver cars for at least 15 years. Whether it is FWD, RWD, or AWD, the difference between snow tires and all-seasons is significant and well worth the price if you regularly get snow and freezing temps.

The Thomas J 01-31-2019 12:56 AM

I have owned wto 4matic Mercedes and I loved them in the snow. Never had any issues.

Bklyn 01-31-2019 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by yeziam (Post 7666449)
I run snow tires in the winter on the stock 19" wheels and have a set of 20" wheels with summer tires. Some people use the same wheels and swap the tires. I have storage for the offseason wheelset, but a lot of dealers and shops here will store your tires or wheels as part of an installation package deal.

I drive a lot all over MN and cannot call in sick or be late on account of the weather so snow tires and AWD is a necessity. Snow tires make the car much more predictable and stable. Keep in mind that although snow tires help with cornering and acceleration, the real benefit is the braking performance in snow and ice. I have had snow tires on my daily driver cars for at least 15 years. Whether it is FWD, RWD, or AWD, the difference between snow tires and all-seasons is significant and well worth the price if you regularly get snow and freezing temps.

Thank you, thank you , thank you! Much appreciate your time and explanation.