S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

4Matic Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 10:00 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
S550
4Matic Question

Hi all;

I have been reading up on 4Matic and was wondering what those who live in cold and snowy climates think about it.

I am about to go through my first year of driving on snow up in Boston. I have Very good all weather tires that only have about 10,000 miles on them so they have lots of meat left. I keep them at 37 PSI as per the instruction in the door jam.

Is there anything I need to know? Do You like 4Matic in winter? As an aside, I read that the vehicle is powered with 40% pull from the front and 60% from the back under normal conditions. Is that correct?

LOVE to get some feedback 4Matic if you can find a minute to answer me.

Best to you all.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:34 PM

Received 170 Likes on 130 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
Great for the snow, I've had it on 3 vehicles and never had a problem getting into or out of a parking spot with 4Matic.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Those in the know call all-season tires no-season tires.

A set of actual winter tires will make a noticeable difference.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:20 AM

S550
Originally Posted by EasyPhil
Great for the snow, I've had it on 3 vehicles and never had a problem getting into or out of a parking spot with 4Matic.
Thanks. You know, it is iterating; on uTube people go back and fourth endlessly on what is the best 4 wheel drive system. 4Matic, Quattro, iDrive. Maybe I am wrong because I am new to high end cars such as these but is there really a clear "winner" and does it really matter. My thinking is that if you have one of these cars and the all wheel drive works well for you, is there a real winner? Furthermore, you can, for example, measure 0-60 speed as it can be objective. ow do you measure, in any meaningful way, an all wheel drive system and compare it to others?
Old 01-26-2019, 10:24 AM

S550
Originally Posted by lkchris
Those in the know call all-season tires no-season tires.

A set of actual winter tires will make a noticeable difference.
This statement is an eye opener to me. I have never thought of it or heard that.

Tell me, what do you do? Do you have a set of summer tires and a set of winter tires? If so, do you have an extra set of wheels and y0u just swap them out or do you mount each time? Can you give an example of great summer tires and winter tires?

Love to hear more about this if you can find the time. Thanks in advance either way.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:36 AM

Received 170 Likes on 130 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
Just enjoy your car, there's always something newer or better.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by Bklyn
This statement is an eye opener to me. I have never thought of it or heard that.

Tell me, what do you do? Do you have a set of summer tires and a set of winter tires? If so, do you have an extra set of wheels and y0u just swap them out or do you mount each time? Can you give an example of great summer tires and winter tires?

Love to hear more about this if you can find the time. Thanks in advance either way.
I run snow tires in the winter on the stock 19" wheels and have a set of 20" wheels with summer tires. Some people use the same wheels and swap the tires. I have storage for the offseason wheelset, but a lot of dealers and shops here will store your tires or wheels as part of an installation package deal.

I drive a lot all over MN and cannot call in sick or be late on account of the weather so snow tires and AWD is a necessity. Snow tires make the car much more predictable and stable. Keep in mind that although snow tires help with cornering and acceleration, the real benefit is the braking performance in snow and ice. I have had snow tires on my daily driver cars for at least 15 years. Whether it is FWD, RWD, or AWD, the difference between snow tires and all-seasons is significant and well worth the price if you regularly get snow and freezing temps.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:56 AM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
I have owned wto 4matic Mercedes and I loved them in the snow. Never had any issues.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:47 AM

S550
Originally Posted by yeziam
I run snow tires in the winter on the stock 19" wheels and have a set of 20" wheels with summer tires. Some people use the same wheels and swap the tires. I have storage for the offseason wheelset, but a lot of dealers and shops here will store your tires or wheels as part of an installation package deal.

I drive a lot all over MN and cannot call in sick or be late on account of the weather so snow tires and AWD is a necessity. Snow tires make the car much more predictable and stable. Keep in mind that although snow tires help with cornering and acceleration, the real benefit is the braking performance in snow and ice. I have had snow tires on my daily driver cars for at least 15 years. Whether it is FWD, RWD, or AWD, the difference between snow tires and all-seasons is significant and well worth the price if you regularly get snow and freezing temps.
Thank you, thank you , thank you! Much appreciate your time and explanation.