S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

I知 having this issue and will like to know where to look for the leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w221
I知 having this issue and will like to know where to look for the leak

Hey everyone,

I wanted to do an informative post on an issue I had with my car recently to save people some headaches and aggravation with this issue. When I would go to start the car in the morning I notice that the car was sagging, especially in the back. It was just enough to make you scratch your head and say. Is there something wrong with my car? No car too low see workshop lights or any warnings, just a subtle sag. So I hooked up star diagnosis and tried doing some tests and it found no leaks in the valve block or the strut top, so Instantly assumed that someplace else in the strut must be leaking and replaced the strut. A few months later I noticed the issue is still there so I researched it and there is a bulletin out that this issue is caused by a small leak in either the valve block, or the top of the strut tower which I thought couldnt be related to my car because I had checked it with Star diagnosis. So after seeing another post from someone having a similar issue i decided to spray the valve block with soapy water to see what my findings would be and sure enough there is a small pinhole leak there. Today I am also going to check the top of the strut tower. Looks like a visual/soapy water test is the best way to find small leaks in airmatic. Star diagnosis is more for when your car is slammed and no pressure is there

The bulletin calls for replacing the entire line in the car but before doing that I am going to try and see if it can be repaired. I will do a writeup on my findings. If anyone has a similar issue and they tell you you need a new air strut it may just be the airline leaking and they need to test it with soapy water and not star diagnosis[/quote]