S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

W221 2010 S400 Hybrid w intermittent no start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes s400
W221 2010 S400 Hybrid w intermittent no start

I have just purchased a 2010 S400 hybrid and it was fine and drove for about 40 miles from dealership before parking it on my driveway. The next evening my wife and I decided to go take it out and it would not start. Lights and everything would go on as if it was on accessory, but the engine was off and it didnt say ready on the dash. We left it after several attempts and a half hour later we tried to start and it worked. The following day I took it to work and had no issues. Was it just a fluke? I looked at service records and from 2015 to 2018 it has been serviced and electronics checked. I couldnt figure out if the dealership replaced the power electronics module that apparently had a recall at some point. That's my story and so far it's working but will keep you posted. I'm bummed out that I bought the hybrid not knowing it would cost more to repair than if I had just bought a regular s class.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:15 PM

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts
2007 S600
No clue if this could be related to your issue or not, but...

My S600 has Keyless-Go. MOST of the time you get in, push the brake pedal, hit the button, and it purrs to life. All good. Once in a while, totally at random, you press the brake, push the button, the dash light sup, and... nothing. No engine start. I fought this for a while, even replaced the starter thinking it could be a bad starter relay. Nope. Apparently it's a Keyless-Go issue. If I pull the KG button and use the key, it's an instant start, every time, no matter what. If using the KG button, sometimes it starts immediately. Sometimes you just have to hold the button in for anywhere from (again, totally random) a second or so, to as much as 4-5 seconds before it starts.

I'm sure it could be fixed. I'm equally sure I don't want to pay the bill that would come with fixing it. Since I know the workaround, it's a minor thing. Again, maybe not at all related to what you're seeing, but it might be something to try.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by 2010s400
I have just purchased a 2010 S400 hybrid and it was fine and drove for about 40 miles from dealership
I assume MB dealer, best to have them check it and confirm there are no outstanding service campaigns even if no fault codes are found and/or no trouble found you will have invoice documentation of complaint in the event it happens again / more frequently.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 and S400
Originally Posted by 2010s400
I have just purchased a 2010 S400 hybrid and it was fine and drove for about 40 miles from dealership before parking it on my driveway. The next evening my wife and I decided to go take it out and it would not start. Lights and everything would go on as if it was on accessory, but the engine was off and it didnt say ready on the dash. We left it after several attempts and a half hour later we tried to start and it worked. The following day I took it to work and had no issues. Was it just a fluke? I looked at service records and from 2015 to 2018 it has been serviced and electronics checked. I couldnt figure out if the dealership replaced the power electronics module that apparently had a recall at some point. That's my story and so far it's working but will keep you posted. I'm bummed out that I bought the hybrid not knowing it would cost more to repair than if I had just bought a regular s class.

What was the outcome? Does the car still do it periodically?
Old 07-03-2020, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S400
Originally Posted by jeffcapp99
What was the outcome? Does the car still do it periodically?
Intermittently unable to start is signal for you that the hybrid inverter has problem. Check ASAP . The dealer can't solve your problem as it is out of warranty/(recall issue) now.