S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Blind spot assist retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 S 550
Blind spot assist retrofit

I have a 2011 S550 that did not come with blind spot detection. I've noticed that cars that have that feature have what appear to be the same mirrors. If I simply purchased new mirrors with the blind spot detection will they work on my vehicle? Is there some other hardware that would have to be added? I can't imagine that they would have a separate wiring harness for each application so I'm wondering if it would simply be a matter of plugging new mirrors into the harness?

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-12-2020, 12:55 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have blind spot detection. I've read that it comes with individual sensors, not the rear parking sensors) on either side of the rear bumper.

I found this post, maybe it will help!

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...trofitted.html
Old 01-12-2020, 07:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
W221 W222 W216
Originally Posted by chachd
I have a 2011 S550 that did not come with blind spot detection. I've noticed that cars that have that feature have what appear to be the same mirrors. If I simply purchased new mirrors with the blind spot detection will they work on my vehicle? Is there some other hardware that would have to be added? I can't imagine that they would have a separate wiring harness for each application so I'm wondering if it would simply be a matter of plugging new mirrors into the harness?

Thanks for any help!
The original bsa retrofit is easier and costs less if the car has the distronic plus and parking guidance options. If its without distronic, you will need to retrofit the whole radar system, not worth it in today’s market. If you really want bsa spare yourself the cost and labour of installing the original and buy an aftermarket from Ali express or Amazon.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:10 PM

Received 168 Likes on 128 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
If you have a car with Distronic Plus, you will need two additional radar sensors in the rear which requires a new wiring harness to accommodate 4 radar sensors instead of two, plus the mirrors with the triangles. Once you have all of the hardware in place you need to code the car for the feature.