S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

2007 s550 computer issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 s550
2007 s550 computer issues

Hello. I love my 2007 s550. Unfortunately, I had to let my car sit for about eight months. After recently replacing both the starter battery and the rear battery, my computer is sending strange messages to my car. The car only has 87,000 miles on it. Messages keep popping up about the brakes. The radio works sometimes, and other times it looses all stations and the CD player just stays at zero and doesn’t move. The worst issue is the shocks. The vehicles says “wait a moment, vehicle rising. I hear what sounds like the shocks inflating, but the rear of the vehicle is almost on the tires and does not rise. sometimes it’s fine. Two days ago, as I was idling in a parking lot. The odometer actually moved , in the tenths position, to over one mile, even though the vehicle was not moving. The speedometer sometimes goes up to 160 and back to zero while it is in park. I get other unusual messages about the ABS brakes., etc. I’ve been reading about resetting the computer through the command center, and wonder if this might help. Also my power door looks do not respond w the key. Another issue I have had w this beautiful car, previous to the current issues, is the drivers side window will not go down. I saw a you tube video, where a mechanic explains that on the 07 s550, it was notorious for this problem He says it may not actually be the motor, but the control unit. I’d really appreciate any knowledge you would please share with me regarding these issues. Thank you all, in advance
Old 02-18-2020, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 863 Likes on 721 Posts
S500
what you are experiencing is normal designed in failure. Manufacturers build in obsolescence, the idea today is like a smart phone, incredible, great features, does everything you'll ever need... all you need to do is throw xxx dollars in a skip each month to lease it

The best choice would be to remember how much you liked it, chuck it in a skip and forget all about it

yes you could get it drivable (probably for less than 4k UD$) but you'll still have a few nagging but ultimately unimportant issues. Or spend 10k and it'll just have another issue next week..... and the week after

in the UK a brand new cars is worth just 30% at 3 years, a 13 year old S class is worth 4k max or nothing in most cases

using merc spares bought on a mega discount (not incl labour)

if Airmatic 1500 each corner, plus 600 for a pump
a few suspension arms 800
Air con 700 for a new condenser and regas
Radio 1200 for a new amp
4 x ABS sensors 800
2 x batteries 500
new brake calipers and front discs 900
inlet manifold 600
8 x coil pack 400
CPS 50

Last edited by BOTUS; 02-18-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:06 PM

Received 237 Likes on 164 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
Front windows not working is a common thing with W221 chassis. No need to replace the door control modules. All you need is to do a software update on both modules. As far as the ESP/ABS problems, better leave that for the pros. The vehicle needs to be scanned and the codes processed for proper diagnostic.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:58 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
W221 S500 2010
Originally Posted by BOTUS
what you are experiencing is normal designed in failure. Manufacturers build in obsolescence, the idea today is like a smart phone, incredible, great features, does everything you'll ever need... all you need to do is throw xxx dollars in a skip each month to lease it

The best choice would be to remember how much you liked it, chuck it in a skip and forget all about it

yes you could get it drivable (probably for less than 4k UD$) but you'll still have a few nagging but ultimately unimportant issues. Or spend 10k and it'll just have another issue next week..... and the week after

in the UK a brand new cars is worth just 30% at 3 years, a 13 year old S class is worth 4k max or nothing in most cases

using merc spares bought on a mega discount (not incl labour)

if Airmatic 1500 each corner, plus 600 for a pump
Air con 700 for a new condenser and regas
Radio 1200 for a new amp
4 x ABS sensors 800
2 x batteries 500
inlet manifold 600
8 x coil pack 400
CPS 50
I am surprised that you still keep your S500. If I thought of my wife half as bad as you think of your car, I would be single by now.
The following users liked this post:
DaleB (02-20-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 10:44 AM

2007 s550
No problem w the brakes. They are new. It’s just codes in the computer. Maybe it needs an update or to be reprogrammed. As far as chucking the car, it it being worth 4K, not in my mind. The car is gorgeous . It was $104k new. It has no miles on it. I will drive it into the ground. I have four cars. This one is my fav. I’m sure it’s just a technical glitch on the computer somewhere. I use to sell cars. I know someone on this thread will be able to provide the corrct info
Old 02-19-2020, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
ABS sensors will be dead (very common) rear amp/tuner dead, happens to every single one, AC condenser failing at this age actually it went 2 years ago you just didn't notice yet, coil packs will die, variable intake vacuum link rods on the inlet manifold probably already broken

I missed these off the list yesterday, gearbox torque converter lock up clutch failing very common, gearbox electro plate speed sensor very common (those 2 will take another 4k out of your wallet)

we could add the seats, PSE pump, ignition switch, gearbox esm etc.

FYI mine was 140k new and worthless today and at half the miles you've got

Last edited by BOTUS; 02-19-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:58 PM

Received 167 Likes on 128 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
You need a Star system to properly diagnose your problems and update modules so that they have the latest software for that model. In my own car, I updated the software for all of the door modules, keylessgo, distronic plus,command,navigation plus some others. My 2007 currently has 206,000 miles, drives great and looks great.
Debbie Leonard (02-24-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 06:46 PM

Received 169 Likes on 130 Posts
2007 SL550 & 2012 S550 4matic
Perhaps a member local to you would be willing to help you diagnose and resolve using his/her Star system. Where are you located? or better yet add this location information to your profile. This seems like a solvable problem.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:41 AM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
All of these symptoms could be caused by a failing device on the CANBUS causing data corruption. You might get a clue from information available from the OBD2 diagnostic port. It is unlikely that you have multiple failed devices UNLESS this is a vehicle that was exposed to flood damage in the past.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
Originally Posted by steveb9771
All of these symptoms could be caused by a failing device on the CANBUS causing data corruption. You might get a clue from information available from the OBD2 diagnostic port. It is unlikely that you have multiple failed devices UNLESS this is a vehicle that was exposed to flood damage in the past.
this is so naïve. these will die inside the next 2 years if they haven't already. we should stop eulogising and realise from 1998 the world moved on to a different business model

airmatic struts 1500 x 4
airmatic pump 600
air con 700 for a new condenser and regas
radio 1200 for a new amp
4 x ABS sensors 800
2 x batteries 500
inlet manifold 600
8 x coil pack 400
crank sensor 50
gearbox torque converter lock up clutch 3000
gearbox electro plate speed sensor 1200
gearbox ism 150.
ignition switch 250
seat air cushion 500
PSE pump 1200
Old 02-24-2020, 08:40 AM

2007 s550
The car was never exposed to a flood. Thank you very much for the information . I knew someone on here would know what was wrong,
Old 02-24-2020, 08:42 AM

2007 s550
The car does not need anything on that extensive lit’s. It has 87000 miles and runs like it was new. It was my fault for letting it sit for eight months and allowing both batteries to dye. They have been replaced
Old 02-24-2020, 08:44 AM

2007 s550
Hi I live in Key Largo Floruda and I’m sure this is a solvable problem. This car is gorgeous and I laughed when I read the response fro the UK guy who said to chick the car and it’s worth $4k! The car was $104,000! It’s absolutely gorgeous, with 87,000 miles on it!
Old 02-24-2020, 08:46 AM

2007 s550
The extensive list of repairs you provided is laughable. It needs none of the items you suggested, other than the batteries, which have been replaced. I did replace the brake pads.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:54 AM

2007 s550
The A/c is ice cold. Everything in the car works. It does not need anything w the ABS. These codes pop up and leave. To the gentlemen who wonders why I keep this car, it only has 87k and is absolutely gorgeous. I have three other cars but do not plan on selling or getting rid of this car. It’s a solid. And very quick, luxurious tank. I replaced the 07 tail lights w the 2010 lights. The car looks stunning
Old 02-24-2020, 08:57 AM

2007 s550
I used to sell cars. I’m a Motörhead kind of girl. I have owned lots of Benz and beakers , and will continue to buy them, as they run forever.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
you come on a forum to ask for help, an experienced motor vehicle tech identifies two of the issues you have are exclusively related to two well know failure modes on this car (ABS sensor failure and a failed Radio Amp in the trunk), offers the best low cost solution and you choose to ignore... so stop wasting people time, get it towed to a main dealership and pay them 8k … .then watch every other single component I list take more money out of your purse
Old 02-24-2020, 03:08 PM

2007 s550
You’re missing the point. Nothing is going to cost 8k. There are no issues w the brakes. The brakes are fine. It’s a compiter update. Am I supposed to take the advice of someone on the thread that tells me to sell my gorgeous Benz fir $4k? I don’t think so. There are no brake issue. I’ll take the advice of the person who suggested updating computer w star system, not someone who made a list of things that my car does not need! Did you read the fact that the cars runs like new and only was driven 6,000 miles a year?
Old 02-24-2020, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by Debbie Leonard
You’re missing the point. Nothing is going to cost 8k. There are no issues w the brakes. The brakes are fine. It’s a compiter update. Am I supposed to take the advice of someone on the thread that tells me to sell my gorgeous Benz fir $4k? I don’t think so. There are no brake issue. I’ll take the advice of the person who suggested updating computer w star system, not someone who made a list of things that my car does not need! Did you read the fact that the cars runs like new and only was driven 6,000 miles a year?
Good luck fixing all your issues with a software update....ain't gonna happen. The person from the UK is correct on several possibilities, but you need to take your car to a reputable independent MB repair shop, or the MB dealer (if they haven't run all the qualified techs out the door and replaced them with tech-school kids) for a proper diagnosis. That means a trip to the mainland for you...I wouldn't trust it to anyone in the Keys unless you're looking for Conch Fritters or a Pina Colada. The internet is not going to fix your 13 year old s-class with multiple problems. Expect at least a few thousand dollars of repairs to the air suspension and wheel speed sensors.

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 02-24-2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:53 AM

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts
2007 S600
Debbie,

Let's apply a little logic to this situation. Did ANY of these things happen before you parked it? If not, then it's unlikely that they all failed simply because you neglected to keep the batteries charged. And despite what our cheerful pal Botus claims, you may not be quite doomed to the car falling apart around you as you drive down the street. I own a 2007 S600, and despite the predictions of doom and gloom, it's just fine. The suspension, the COMAND system, audio, seats, windows, sunroof, butt warmer, massage, active seats, soft close doors, turbos, coil packs, speed sensors, transmission... ALL OF IT WORKS just fine, thanks. And yes, I did in fact have to have my ABS/ESP module replaced... though curiously, I seem to be in the monitory there; it's a **** poor design but they don't all fail. It's interesting to note that the hardware appears to be identical to that in my Ford and my wife's Volvo, for whatever that's worth. If yours keeps throwing EBS/ESP errors after everything else is fixed, then yeah, it's a $1600 hit, but it only hurts for a little while.

Now, that said... yeah, you're probably going to need a shop, or at the very least a laptop set up with Mercedes software and an adapter to connect it to your car. If you're a gear head with a little mechanical experience and are in a DIY mood, ping @MBZTECH here for help getting started. Otherwise, find a friendly dealer or an independent shop with actual experience working on Mercedes S-class vehicles of that vintage. Ask them questions, like do they have Mercedes DAS and XENTRY diagnostic software? Can they do firmware upgrades and SCN coding? If you get a blank look or they act like they don't need all that computer-y stuff, then keep looking - these are not the mechanics you're looking for, move along. You really cannot troubleshoot these cars without it. I have an MBII scan tool. It's OK for reading out trouble codes, and can reset some or all of them, but it really won't let you do any tests or actuations. If you're going to spend money on tools, get the right tools for the job.

And lastly... if you have some tools and some time, you might start by checking things like ground connections, especially the one in the trunk. A bad ground (which I would expect to see in a car sitting idle in the Keys for months) will most certainly wreak havoc upon electronic devices. Clean all the connections, both at the battery terminals and the frame grounds. For the windows, GTS (Google that s***) and find the process for re-setting window limits. Look for things like "W221 reset window travel limits".
steveb9771 (02-26-2020)