S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

TV Tuner / Antenna Problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 03:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W223 400d Long
TV Tuner / Antenna Problem?

Hello

I have 2007 S600L with TV Tuner unit (it is present in trunk) that is not working at all - there is no TV option under VIDEO option in Command.
Also there is a fault code that TV Tuner is giving me (checked via Star Diagnostic) :

94A1 the control wire to the antenna amplifier element has a break (its translated from my langauge to english)

Radio is working OK, so I guess it about roof antenna which I dont know how to get into. Or maybe I should first check somewere else?

Thanks for any tips!
Old 05-14-2020, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 907 Likes on 752 Posts
S500
there's a very expensive roof module just in front of the top of the rear screen with wires that run up the left side of the rear inner wing
not sure how it does stuff but the TV antenna is part of the rear window I think the module switches different elements and or the shark fin does radio

think cost of parts and fitting close to value of the car.....
Old 05-14-2020, 02:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W223 400d Long
Used roof module is very cheap - starts from like 10$ (I already bought 2 just in case), but maybe there is another location I should check first before ripping of roof headliner?
Old 05-15-2020, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 907 Likes on 752 Posts
S500
you maybe lucky,

there's a reason so many people have cheap spares on ebay, probably broken (its all designed to fail these days), its the main the reason the car was written off and scrapped.... but also, few high spec parts out there. the way cars get made is they have looms and modules built for the rubbish spec the original purchaser paid for.... they push the complexity of the supply chain to the supplier. There'll be 15 looms for the same door... if you had electric windows one loom, electric windows and electric mirrors another loom, electric windows, electric mirrors and chromatic dipping another loom, then self close, then keyless go etc.

total madness but the idiot in accounts who didn't calculate the supplier will push this complexity back in to the price of the base loom thinks he won, he got promoted and the manager who supported the lunacy is now ruining running the show

it only starts to makes sense at end of life when the only spare they have to stock (for 7 years or what ever legislation your gov made up - 3 year in japan) is the highest spec module, which of course can work on any spec car. So you may have 2 base spec worn out parts for $10 each. The TV needs a working $1000 module....

..I was just thinking, actually there's these weird vents in the rear wings for some markets that are an antenna for something..... Europe these are just vents and its all in the rear screen and that antenna module