S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Major model year changes in W221

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2020 | 12:07 PM

SL55AMG, GL450, SLK, S550, Maserati Coupe
The "basher OTUS" simply hates W221 and possibly hates Mercedes in general, and who knows? Maybe he doesn't even really own one. I could see if he hated the W220, I had one of those and really liked it although it was almost more of a Chrysler than a Mercedes when comparing to a W140. But my W221 is quite a car. And it is truly amazing how fast it is. Someone says "step on it" and it is surprising how quickly it gets to well over 100MPH. Seems faster than my SL550 although it might not be. I could hardly complain about my W221, it's been super reliable, super comfortable, quite a good looking car, uses no oil, gets near 20MPG, and in all black with dark tint, has a mystique about it. I see people stop to try to look into the windows, as if to say, What famous person is in there??
If you have a car that you don't like, sell it and get one that you do like. I have five Mercedes and a Maserati, and love them all. The Benzos that I own today (GL450, S550, SL550, SL600, SLK230) are the 20th thru 24th Mercedes I've owned. I think the W220 was the least reliable; it never stranded me but did need some repairs along the way, more than I thought it should have.
Old 10-21-2020 | 06:20 AM

2008 GL450, latest addition 2007 S65 AMG with 50K miles
Originally Posted by auburn2
Since I am shopping around for another W221 I am looking at what changes happened over the years. I think 2010 was the front end changed right?

Other things I am interested in are:
lane keep assist
pedestrian recognition on the night vision system
electric power steering
blind spot monitoring

Did these things all come in on the 2010 model or were they phased in on different years?
Auburn2, I just purchased an extremely nice 2 owner 2007 S65 with only 50k miles. I know it has the night vision and blind spot monitoring, not the lane keep assist or electric P/S. I do have an observation on the lane keep assist though. I just sold my 2015 Chrysler 300C which had the lane keep assist and if the S-class of that same era are similar, I would pass on it. I have driven my friends 2015 Tesla Model S and the difference between the two systems is VERY dramatic. My system was really just a party trick. Put it into any kind of bend in the road, no matter how slight and even on the highest sensitivity setting it would struggle then fail to keep within the lane. By contrast the Tesla was ROCK STEADY exactly in the middle of the lane no matter how curvy the road was. Now I have heard but not experienced the latest S-Class lane keep assist is very "Tesla" like.