S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Posting in here as the CL forum is dead!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 03:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cl63 AMG
Posting in here as the CL forum is dead!

CL63 AMG

The pre fuse box by the battery has a few fuses on the outside, however INSIDE it has a relay. Does anyone know what that relay controls?

Mercedes do NOT sell this relay separately however i managed to get one from a breakers as mine had gone.

Now the car is doing some strange things. Its been sat for a week.

I started it fine. Turned it off then it was comeatly dead. Even the hazards wouldnt work. Battery had voltage but it showed a big voltage drop at the pre fuse box.

Its now sat on trickle charge and its dead then its fine then its dead then its fine. When its running its fine. Its also sporadically just lighting up the dash even though the key isnt in it or near it!

Im confused as to what that relay actually does as this may shead some light on the situation

also when the car is "dead" puting the key in the ignition wakes it up
Old 04-16-2021, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 921 Likes on 655 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Johncl63
CL63 AMG

The pre fuse box by the battery has a few fuses on the outside, however INSIDE it has a relay. Does anyone know what that relay controls?

Mercedes do NOT sell this relay separately however i managed to get one from a breakers as mine had gone.

Now the car is doing some strange things. Its been sat for a week.

I started it fine. Turned it off then it was comeatly dead. Even the hazards wouldnt work. Battery had voltage but it showed a big voltage drop at the pre fuse box.

Its now sat on trickle charge and its dead then its fine then its dead then its fine. When its running its fine. Its also sporadically just lighting up the dash even though the key isnt in it or near it!

Im confused as to what that relay actually does as this may shead some light on the situation

also when the car is "dead" puting the key in the ignition wakes it up
I don't know about the relay but if there is a big voltage drop between battery and the box you probably have bad connection somewhere in the cable feeding the box from the battery.

I have not looked at my boxes but normally there is a bigger wire that feeds the box so this wire should have the same voltage coming to the box as the battery has.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:17 AM

Cl63 AMG
Originally Posted by Arrie
I don't know about the relay but if there is a big voltage drop between battery and the box you probably have bad connection somewhere in the cable feeding the box from the battery.

I have not looked at my boxes but normally there is a bigger wire that feeds the box so this wire should have the same voltage coming to the box as the battery has.
The voltage drop was down to the relay. Im just trying to work out what it does and why on earth mercedes dont sell it separately! Id like to work out why it went bad. Only spotted due to a heat mark on the case. We tried to saulder it but the case had melted so it couldnt make connection. The part doesn't even show on the mercades parts list (called them up) you have to buy the full pre fuse box at £695 but the only thing that had gone was a £8 relay!

Just driven 4.5 hours no issues no warning lights. Stopped twice.

Old 04-17-2021, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 921 Likes on 655 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Johncl63
The voltage drop was down to the relay. Im just trying to work out what it does and why on earth mercedes dont sell it separately! Id like to work out why it went bad. Only spotted due to a heat mark on the case. We tried to saulder it but the case had melted so it couldnt make connection. The part doesn't even show on the mercades parts list (called them up) you have to buy the full pre fuse box at £695 but the only thing that had gone was a £8 relay!

Just driven 4.5 hours no issues no warning lights. Stopped twice.

If the voltage drop was “to the relay” changing the relay does not fix anything but, if the voltage drop is “from the relay” then the relay is the problem and seeing the picture of the burnt relay points to this way.

Relay failing like this indicates that higher than rated current went thru the relay. Usually they fail with contacts going bad over time not passing full voltage thru.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:27 AM

Cl63 AMG
Originally Posted by Arrie
If the voltage drop was “to the relay” changing the relay does not fix anything but, if the voltage drop is “from the relay” then the relay is the problem and seeing the picture of the burnt relay points to this way.

Relay failing like this indicates that higher than rated current went thru the relay. Usually they fail with contacts going bad over time not passing full voltage thru.
So could it be because the battery was low or did it get a spike in current?

Id still love to knkw what this realy is in charge of, but as its inside the fuse box it doesnt appear on any diagram!

I suspect the valtage drop was FROM the realy as the battery was at 12, at the teminals on the pre fuse box AFTER the relay it had a drop of 9v and we only had 3 at the alternator.

Even the Hazard lights wouldnt come on!

Chaged the relay and all ok

Last edited by Johncl63; 04-17-2021 at 10:29 AM.