S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

W221 late 2009 Faelift Radio not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 06:52 AM
Dng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W221
W221 late 2009 Faelift Radio not working

Hello guys,
New here and i wanna ask for some opinions for my issue

currently have a W221 2009 Facelift with Harman Kardon and the radio tuner isn’t working.
i try to change stations, it moves but still stays at 1 station. No sound, no presets, search option doesn’t work, I can’t input the frequence from the keypad.
Everything else works fine,
NAV fully functional, works with sound and search and keypad
CD works fine
Memory Card works fine
AUX works fine,
USB works fine
Telephone works fine, i can use voice search, keypad works
Car settings work ( until recently had an issue with ambient lighting, wouldnt change from solar and wasn’t turn on) that got fixed.
Checked all antena wiring, checked the head unit, checked the AMP,
When scanned with DAS no error codes came up,

Whats your opinion on this?
Old 06-12-2021, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 907 Likes on 752 Posts
S500
if everything appears to operates normally aside from NO SOUND ANYWHERE, switch to FM... if the radio station name/number is now completely missing but all the other background colours exist the amp in the boot is dead

it happens on every single W221 ever made
Old 06-12-2021, 03:20 PM
Dng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W221
I switch to FM, all shows, i can navigate through the station but everytime comes to this Piano station.

any opinion?

I uploaded a picture how it shows, whatever i do this is how it shows.
switching between fm/am when i switch stations, still comes back to PIANO

Originally Posted by BOTUS
if everything appears to operates normally aside from NO SOUND ANYWHERE, switch to FM... if the radio station name/number is now completely missing but all the other background colours exist the amp in the boot is dead

it happens on every single W221 ever made
Old 06-13-2021, 05:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 907 Likes on 752 Posts
S500
….you have the name and frequency, which I guess should be a good thing. These are just ALL missing on the usual dead amp fault condition.

Are you saying you have sound EVERYWHERE else except for normal radio?

The radio channels MW FM and the noise for everything are all generated by the "Tuner AMP" in the boot, everything else is its own sperate module, the main bits joint together via a Fibre optic MOST link. If only "normal Radio" is missing and CD, DVD, Phone Nav, DAB Europe and Sirus USA, have sound. Then it might be the Radio antenna but that's a nasty job especially if you have TV as its $1000 dollars and then the rest is part of the rear window.

there's a whole load of crap and stupidity for the radio antenna and they are mostly fail all day long junk on a Merc (although NOT common failure in the 221). If you have sound for all bar the radio, check this area and or try a simple external antenna to the amp and see if you get anything. You could probably bodge up a bit for a BMW or VAG for nothing off ebay, they all use these funny coloured Fakra connectors

double check the model...

https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/e...86/63v/82/345/
Old 06-14-2021, 02:34 AM

Received 106 Likes on 73 Posts
W222, W221, W218, W211
visit a shop where they know how to use xentry - you can do fairly complete diagnostics of the builtin FM module in less than 5 mins, that covers selecting frequencies, adjusting audio etc... but if the problem is described as here, most likely you will see an exact error that shows what went bad before even getting into diagnostics...Replacement of Comand module is usually the only option as nobody bothers fixing them (you would need to export config settings from your car and code the new one to match, otherwise you might get settings and options that don't exist in your car or vice versa - lack options that you used to have). Again - simple and straightforward for somebody who knows how to use Xentry.

However, If you can have audio from other sources and your amp works fine (ie. CD, HDD or AUX works and you can hear sound without any problems), I would completely ignore the broken FM module and use alternatives (from simple spotify via carplay add-on, up to replacement of entire display to something with Android 10.25" on it...).

//edit: I just re-read the first post - ok, so have you tried diag in DAS/Xentry to input your own freq? Alternatively - have you tried adjusting FM frequency using steering controls from cluster menu instead? Is it possible you or somebody played with coding of the radio and switched the region to something else or tried enabling Video in Motion before this happened?

Last edited by amgs63dxb; 06-14-2021 at 02:37 AM.