S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

s500/s550 new owner looking for answers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 03:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 S500 4matic 5.5L
s500/s550 new owner looking for answers

Hello!

As I am a new owner of a S500 (pre-facelift) 4matic with a M273, I have no clue about anything about them, so I have some questions for anyone who might maybe know .

The car is on its way so I decided to do some research.

First question is how the hell do I get an aux into this car, I haven't gotten a clear answer from reading the forums but do all W221s/S500 come stock with a RCA input in the boot or not?

Second question being, since I want to get a smoother and louder sound, kind of an AMG sound, what diameter are the pipes from the pipe connector to the resonator to the exhaust? 2,5"? 2,25"? I have seen these two a lot but never gotten a clear answer. And with the smoother sound do i install a X-pipe or H-pipe instead of the resonator (since i don't want that diesel-esc sound coming from the exhaust)?

Third being, how does one lower the car by like half an inch for a cleaner look, are lowering links the way to go?
Old 03-23-2022, 08:00 AM

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
2013 S550 4MATIC
Congrats on your purchase! As far as sound goes, I have a S63 exhaust on my S550. Do not remember what size the pipe was but it was a exact fit. Any exhaust shop will be able to fit it. It sounds very good but then again I do have the M278 engine on mine.
Now as lowering goes, there is few ways to do it. Links are one way, washer method is another and what I would personally do is lowering it via SDS.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:53 PM

2006 S500 4matic 5.5L
Thanks! And thanks for the answer.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Japan spec 2008 S550
Being a pre-facelift there should be RCA jacks in the glovebox on the sidewall, if not then it’s pretty simple to add them. The bigger question is whether the AUX function is activated in COMAND - if not there are a few gadgets you can buy that enable it.

In terms of mods, I can’t speak to the exhaust yet, or lowering, but if you upgrade the taillights to LED you need to make sure the upgrades have a resistor built in so the car doesn’t read a fault. The android/CarPlay boxes are great too and save you having to find a BT module that works and upgrading the maps.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:12 AM

2006 S500 4matic 5.5L
Originally Posted by Prigruss
Being a pre-facelift there should be RCA jacks in the glovebox on the sidewall, if not then it’s pretty simple to add them. The bigger question is whether the AUX function is activated in COMAND - if not there are a few gadgets you can buy that enable it.

In terms of mods, I can’t speak to the exhaust yet, or lowering, but if you upgrade the taillights to LED you need to make sure the upgrades have a resistor built in so the car doesn’t read a fault. The android/CarPlay boxes are great too and save you having to find a BT module that works and upgrading the maps.
No, I do not have RCA in the glovebox since mine is Eurospec and didn't come with RCA as a default option.
I was wondering how do i code in the AUX function in COMAND, since i don't have it there, do I need to get some dedicated software? Are there one time OBD2 installers or such?
I found a video talking about how you install an aux but I have so many questions like do I need the Xentry DAS or can I just do it through engineering mode if there is such a thing, or can i just do it with some basic obd2 tool/software?
video in question:

or are there cheaper alternatives to installing an audio input for the merc?
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 10:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Japan spec 2008 S550
Unfortunately unless you want to go the FM broadcaster route then it’s the only option. Even if you get one of those Android replacement screens the car audio still needs to be set to Aux.

If Aux isn’t in the menu then it needs to be enabled in STAR from what I’ve seen - my Japanese model came with it already so I haven’t gone down this track thankfully. There’s quite a few posts on here about it but most seem to outsource it to an indie or Merc service. You can get the parts for the wiring on eBay.

I’ve seen a few OBD2 boxes that enable Aux on NTG5 so stands to reason there’ll be an NTG3 one somewhere too.

Old 04-08-2022, 01:17 AM

2006 S500 4matic 5.5L
Ok, thanks for the information!