S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LOTS of problems with S350, please help :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 07:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2x S 350 TD, 280 SEL
Unhappy LOTS of problems with S350, please help :(

Hello everyone,

I'm getting a lot of problems with my S350. I'll replace the battery tomorrow because:

Some time ago, red battery light.

Then, I come to a stop, some liquid pours out from the transmission AREA, looks like some random oil, tastes funny, is too viscous (I think) to be ATF, is not engine oil nor power steering fluid nor coolant.
And I can't get the parking brake off.

Fast forward a couple days, I come to check up on the car left in a parking lot, I start it, Parking brake gets off, making a horrible screeching noise. From this point on, the parking brake worked correctly without noise.

Now that I drive the car, one day after, I still get red battery light. Was planning on changing it when I have the time to do it.

Now, so four days after: "Key battery low", "Start your engine or Comand will shut off" message, Comand indeed shuts off, comes back, then off, ABS/ESP goes out, comes back, goes out, comes back. Then a couple minutes after, engine light and misfires.

I have had a S350 with the idler gear issue and such misfires. Odds are low it would come right now, at the same time as this.

I suspect, the issue is the big battery in the back, because all the electronics go out. But then, why sudden minute-long fluid leak at the gearbox area?
Why the misfires, if it is the battery in the back, and not the engine battery (the car starts fine) ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Tomorrow I will replace the rear battery (I have a spare, can't buy front because Sunday), see if it makes a difference, and on Monday I'll replace the front battery and leave it at my mechanic for a check up.

Last edited by defalt; 08-20-2022 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2022, 06:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 775 Likes on 654 Posts
S500
the battery will never make the gearbox leak and the park brake may well be a broken wire on the ABS sensors at the back - sounds like usual wear and tear / normal merc fun

if your bag is playing with Merc's invest in some tools and support with dealer diagnostics kit from BenzNinja, The battery light might well be a software gremlin - as few ever fix it. And if it needs flashing the investment with BenzNija will be a great idea

many of us have done it and the service is 110%

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...e-codings.html

The following users liked this post:
Senecat (08-25-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 11:40 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
S350
Have you checked the engine temperature gauge? A friend of mine had a similar incident where the red battery light came on and the temperature went up to the near line of death. He shut off the car and towed it to the dealer. It was one of the belts that snapped and triggered all funny lights on the cluster.