S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Help: Sunroof stuck at an awkward angle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2023 | 01:25 AM

W221 S63 AMG
OK...watching this video, I figured out how to remove the glass to see the innards. Tilt it and you get access to the 3 T25 screws holding the glass.

You can see two of the screws (silver) in this screenshot. The screwdriver is on the third screw:

In order to tilt my borked sunroof, I had to reconnect the control panel and carefully manipulate the buttons and push the glass up at the right time.

While the passenger side guide seems to be intact, other plastic bits are broken.

Basically, everything in the channels on both sides needs to be replaced (pic below) as well as the Drip Rail that is behind the sunroof (arms are broken).

I really, really hope that I don't have to buy the entire $1,500 Frame to get those parts.

Parts can be seen here: https://mbparts.mbusa.com/v-2008-mer.../body--sunroof

BTW, I realized that I over paid for my guides above. They are half that price on https://mbparts.mbusa.com.
The following users liked this post:
MOUCHRA (08-30-2024)
Old 02-12-2023 | 06:50 AM

2007 S550
Originally Posted by CQHall
OK...watching this video, I figured out how to remove the glass to see the innards. Tilt it and you get access to the 3 T25 screws holding the glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqYnAjMvOOE&t=1m07s

You can see two of the screws (silver) in this screenshot. The screwdriver is on the third screw:

In order to tilt my borked sunroof, I had to reconnect the control panel and carefully manipulate the buttons and push the glass up at the right time.

While the passenger side guide seems to be intact, other plastic bits are broken.

Basically, everything in the channels on both sides needs to be replaced (pic below) as well as the Drip Rail that is behind the sunroof (arms are broken).

I really, really hope that I don't have to buy the entire $1,500 Frame to get those parts.

Parts can be seen here: https://mbparts.mbusa.com/v-2008-mer.../body--sunroof

BTW, I realized that I over paid for my guides above. They are half that price on https://mbparts.mbusa.com.
Do you need more than part 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8? A frame seems like a lot. Is the frame more than just the metal pieces? There's a whole used assembly on ebay right now for $580 shipped but it includes a lot of the stuff you don't need.

There are even better prices on OEM parts online than MBPARTS if you shop the part number. You will just have to wait on shipping. The local dealership will always gouge you on parts on a walk-in unless you know someone. I have yet to buy a part from my local dealer once I price shop. I'm pretty sure the MBPARTS stuff are the local dealer items, they just committed to a discounted price.
Old 02-12-2023 | 08:11 AM

W221 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by Shadly1
Do you need more than part 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8? A frame seems like a lot. Is the frame more than just the metal pieces? There's a whole used assembly on ebay right now for $580 shipped but it includes a lot of the stuff you don't need.

There are even better prices on OEM parts online than MBPARTS if you shop the part number. You will just have to wait on shipping. The local dealership will always gouge you on parts on a walk-in unless you know someone. I have yet to buy a part from my local dealer once I price shop. I'm pretty sure the MBPARTS stuff are the local dealer items, they just committed to a discounted price.
Yeah, I'm with you. I'm not gonna throw good money after bad on what seems to be an uncommon issue.

I ordered a frame (fully assembled with glass) from eBay for less than $500 shipped from a 2012 S550 last night.

I still have to get the headliner down without destroying it 😂. That's my current assignment at this point, while I wait.
Old 02-12-2023 | 04:36 PM

W221 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by konigstiger
MBUSA offers online parts catalog @ $92 annually, and 24 hour work instruction sheets (WIS) inclusive of STAR wiring diagrams @ $75. Alternative is to search ebay: “wis epc Mercedes” for copy make sure your model year & model year is included on disk.
FYI: I created an account and paid for 24 hrs access. I've been downloading lots of docs. Thanks! MB makes this really, really difficult to find.
Old 02-19-2023 | 09:52 AM

W221 S63 AMG
Annnd here's where I'm stuck.

I cannot get the headliner to easily release from this area where it reaches from underneath and grabs hold of the open area. This 1.5-2cm lip is holding the headliner in place. I don't want to tear it off and deform it. Not sure how to proceed.

The instructions read, "Loosen roof paneling (1) from sliding roof frame." Not really sure how to go about doing this.
UPDATE:

I figured it out.

I put a trim removal tool between the aluminum border/liner thing and I felt a trim clip pop:

I continued around and found many more clips:

Here is the metal trip turned upside down:

So, as it turns out, it's a male/female mating system where the female clips are attached to the headliner and the male lip that mates with them is the black aluminum trim/bezel. The both mate together with the sunroof frame in the middle.

Now I have to get the rear of the headliner to fully release...then I'll be ready for the replacement sunroof frame to arrive tomorrow.

Pro tip: When in doubt...take your time. Step away and regroup. Mistakes cost money on these cars 😂
MOUCHRA (08-30-2024)
Old 02-21-2023 | 09:56 AM

2007 S65 AMG-Sold, 2007 SL55 P030 - 2016 GL450 - - 2017 AMG GTS - Sold - 2015 AMG S65
Did you remove/ take apart the rear ceiling lights? There are screws inside the dome that holds it up, as well as all the coat hangers on either side.
I have located the headliner I have in storage; however, it's packed in a location that makes it hard to get to right now
Old 02-21-2023 | 10:19 AM

W221 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by Hendrik Koster
Did you remove/ take apart the rear ceiling lights? There are screws inside the dome that holds it up, as well as all the coat hangers on either side.
I have located the headliner I have in storage; however, it's packed in a location that makes it hard to get to right now
I'm following the instructions from WIS (posted above). I've removed all of the screws/clips listed. I don't recall there being any instruction calling for the removal of the lights. I believe they come down intact.

I got past the area where I was stuck before. If you cannot get to your headliner, fine. You offered the help and I took you up on it.
Old 02-21-2023 | 01:26 PM

W221 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by Hendrik Koster
Update: I just finished dropping the headliner. There are no screws behind the mirrors. However, there are four industrial strength velcro tabs on the other side of them that you can only access when you start lowering the headliner.

I didn't want to just pull on the headliner to get the velcro to release and risk creasing the headliner, so I needed something to wedge between the headliner and the roof of the car right next to each velcro pad. I used a ball joint pry tool 😂, mostly because it was long enough to reach from the sunroof opening to the velcro pads above the mirrors:

Down!

Next I'm going to see if I can remove and replace the sunroof frame without having to remove the headliner from the car. Again, because I don't want to risk creasing it. I'm going to watch some videos to see exactly how much space is needed to get the frame out and in.
Old 02-21-2023 | 01:38 PM

W221 S63 AMG
It's hard to spot the velcro tabs in the photo above. I circled them here:

Lotus GT (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023 | 06:31 PM

2007 S550
Update: I just finished dropping the headliner. There are no screws behind the mirrors. However, there are four industrial strength velcro tabs on the other side of them that you can only access when you start lowering the headliner.

I didn't want to just pull on the headliner to get the velcro to release and risk creasing the headliner, so I needed something to wedge between the headliner and the roof of the car right next to each velcro pad. I used a ball joint pry tool 😂, mostly because it was long enough to reach from the sunroof opening to the velcro pads above the mirrors:

Down!

Next I'm going to see if I can remove and replace the sunroof frame without having to remove the headliner from the car. Again, because I don't want to risk creasing it. I'm going to watch some videos to see exactly how much space is needed to get the frame out and in.
I saw a video about it once but never attempted it. If I remember right, the guy took out one of the front seats and got it out through the back door diagonally. You're probably better off leaving it in the car if you can. Less risk that way.
CQHall (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023 | 06:53 PM

W221 S63 AMG
I saw a video about it once but never attempted it. If I remember right, the guy took out one of the front seats and got it out through the back door diagonally. You're probably better off leaving it in the car if you can. Less risk that way.
Yeah, I agree.

I just disconnected the drain pipes. I used a right-angle pick tool to loosen up the rubber pipe's grip on the male drain pipe stubs in each corner so I wouldn't have to tug so hard to get them loose.

Looking at the sunroof (and the replacement) I have plenty of room to get them out and in while the headliner is laying on the seats. In fact, the WIS says to, "Loosen headliner and lay it down on seats as far as possible toward rear with electric wiring harness connected." So, there is no call to remove it.

That being said, I'll need at least another person to help with the next part. Maybe two more people. Arrrrg. So close to finishing!

What's left to do:
  • Clean, prep, and grease the hidden half of the donor sunroof frame. This is an excellent time go grease the part of the rails that we never get access to.
  • Remove current sunroof frame.
  • Install donor sunroof frame.
  • Install trim.
I could finish tonight if I had the extra hands.
Old 02-22-2023 | 08:54 PM

W221 S63 AMG
Last night, I set the donor frame up on saw horse type stands (the kind of stands that automotive painters use) and thoroughly cleaned it and used the MB grease. That stuff is amazing. It's like petroleum jelly mixed with warm, soft chewing gum. I've never handled anything like it. I'm sure that there is a consumer version out there somewhere, but I can't name a product that's similar.

This evening after work, I tackled the final big job: Removing the old frame and installing the new.

Taking the old frame out with the glass already removed made it easy for two people. No need to remove the headliner from the car. Just unscrew and take it out of the front passenger door. It won't go out of the rear doors and the steering wheel is in the way from the driver side.

TIP: Remove the screws holding the side curtain air bags that are located near the front grab handles. It's difficult to explain in words why, but if you are doing this job, you'll see the little rubber lip that is a pain in the ***. Loosening those screws makes getting the frame out and in MUCH easier.

The new frame (with glass attached) came in through the passenger door the same way the other one went out. With the glass on, it's sorta heavy for one arm and the weight it awkwardly distributed (putting most of the weight on the forward arm). We did it with two people, but it was indeed a struggle to hold it in place (largely blind) and get a couple of bolts to seat so that it's supported by the car. So, if you have to do this job, ideally plan to have 3 people at hand (2 to align the frame and one to tighten the bolts).

Whew! Hard part is done!

I even plugged up the buttons and tested to see if there were any issues. It works as expected. The only small annoyance is that the rear sits down maybe 5mm too low. I ran across an adjustment procedure in WIS. Gonna review that before I button it all up.

Last edited by CQHall; 02-22-2023 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2023 | 08:58 PM

2007 S550
Now that it's out, how bad is the carnage on your old frame?
Old 02-22-2023 | 09:10 PM

W221 S63 AMG
Now that it's out, how bad is the carnage on your old frame?
Bad, but compartmentalized.

Basically, everything that slides/tilts had something broken on it as well as the plastic/rubber drip tray that sits behind the sunroof. And it seems like the metal and plastic bits that slide within the rails were designed to be replaced...but I couldn't see how to replace them. But, I think that replacing them also involves the belt that moves all of that.

So, it may be technically possible to rebuild it, it's not worth the hassle of buying the parts to rebuild it from MB for several hundred dollars when you can get an entire frame, sunroof glass, and motor assembly for $200-300 from a junk yard. But, if you had two sunroofs assemblies that were broken in different ways, I can see someone being able to combine them into a single working unit.

I shouldn't have bought those rails from MB. But, I'm glad that I bought the grease. However, I wish that it came in smaller tubes. I used maybe 2-4 tablespoons of it, tops.
Old 02-22-2023 | 09:12 PM

W221 S63 AMG
BTW, I'm going to take the motor off of the old frame and toss it in my tool box just in case.
Old 02-23-2023 | 03:26 AM

W221 S63 AMG
Done!
  • Number of nuts/screws lost: 0
  • Number of nuts/screws left over: 0
  • Clips broken: 0
  • Local shop estimate: Over $3,000
  • Cost (estimate, including buying parts that I didn't need): Around $500
  • Time spent: Waaaay more than I expected.

Shoutout to @konigstiger for the WIS docs. I couldn't have done it without those! I have since created an account and know how to get them for myself.
MOUCHRA (08-30-2024)
Old 02-23-2023 | 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
well done for the hard work and the write up :-)

are you going to do things properly now and never open it again ? can't stand a weaker body shell, leaks and noise for something that should never be fitted in any car.
mate was 3 months in to a wait for his new five series (as they were too thick to make most with real cruise control), when they rang and said you now owe us 500 quid for the sunroof this production slot has... he wasn't happy - I told him to tell them to shove it up their **** - you don't want that crap in you pride and joy - ended up waiting 5 months to get one built properly with a real roof !
CQHall (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023 | 02:23 PM

W221 S63 AMG
Thanks!

I'm with you on slick tops. I had a slick top Touareg and loved it.

I don't use sunroofs much when I do have them. So, yeah, I probably won't use it much, if at all.
BOTUS (02-23-2023)
Old 08-31-2024 | 11:24 PM

S550
Smile Broken plastic part at atachment with metal slider.

Hello QCHall,
Mine is broken at the plastic rail attachment section with metal slider on the driver side (see attached photo).
If I get the whole sunroof assembly are both the rails and these sliders part of it? I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Old 08-31-2024 | 11:40 PM

W221 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by MOUCHRA
Hello QCHall,
Mine is broken at the plastic rail attachment section with metal slider on the driver side (see attached photo).
If I get the whole sunroof assembly are both the rails and these sliders part of it? I would greatly appreciate your feedback.
To be honest, I'm not sure.

I know that there are some parts available individually from the dealership. So, you may not have to buy that whole assembly. I know because I was sold some small parts that were a common failure point but they weren't what was wrong with mine. Also, check out ebay photos close up to see what is typically included when you buy one from a parts puller seller.

I know that when I got the sunroof from the ebay parts puller it had everything that I needed. But, if you can get away with not having to drop the entire headliner and remove the entire sunroof assembly, that's the way to go.

Good luck.
MOUCHRA (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024 | 06:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
u used the name velcro !

that's funny I grew up in the UK calling it this - but its really a propitiatory name and most of the world has NO IDEA what it is
its now called "hook and loop", indeed in much of the world you can walk round multiple stores asking for "velcro" and they all look at you like you're an alien with a medical problem....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook-and-loop_fastener
Old 09-01-2024 | 10:24 AM

S550

I know that there are some parts available individually from the dealership. So, you may not have to buy that whole assembly. I know because I was sold some small parts that were a common failure point but they weren't what was wrong with mine. Also, check out ebay photos close up to see what is typically included when you buy one from a parts puller seller.

I know that when I got the sunroof from the ebay parts puller it had everything that I needed. But, if you can get away with not having to drop the entire headliner and remove the entire sunroof assembly, that's the way to go.

Good luck.
Thank you for your response.
I am doing just that and looking at the eBay photos carefully.
I will reach out to the local dealer as well before dropping the headliner.
Old 09-05-2024 | 09:34 PM

S550

Good luck.
Hi QC Hall,
Just a quick update on the slider part. I talked to the dealer and that piece is part of the hole track assembly.
I was able to find one on ebay for a reasonable price and will be here at my place tomorrow. I will be following your directions as close as possible. Are there any special recommendations you would have for me? My car is a 20212 S550.
Thank you.