S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 08:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S550
Extended Warranty

Hi,

I've been offered this warranty on my recent purchase, wanted to get some thoughts on if it's worthwhile. 3 months already included in purchase. I have the option to get 3 years/70000km at CAD3000 (~USD 2200) with zero deductible. CAD4k per claim, total up to the car's value.
Car is 2007 S550 4Matic with 150000km
It will require me to change oil/filter and check fluids every 12000km

One line I thought was a little concerning is this: Policy does not cover any loss or inconvenience due to the inability of ****** or the servicing dealer to obtain parts to repair the vehicle.

Details of the Coverage:
AIR CONDITIONING - Coverage Includes: A/C Seals and Gaskets for covered components, Accumulator, Air Conditioning Belt Tensioner, Idler & Pulley, Air Conditioning Clutch, Air Conditioning Compressor, Air Conditioning Condenser, Air Conditioning Evaporator, Air Conditioning Lines, Air Conditioning Pulley & Bearings, Expansion Valve, High/Low Pressure Cycling Switch, Orifice Tube, Receiver Dryer, Schrader Valves
BREAKDOWN AWAY FROM HOME - You will be reimbursed up to a maximum of $150 per claim for expenses incurred if a covered component fails while travelling. Eligible expenses include the cost of hotel rooms, bus fare, taxis, train or airfare. ****** will pay if the following conditions apply: You are at least 300km (180 miles) from Your residence at the time of breakdown, the labour time allocated by a current recognized professional Labour Guide exceeds 8 hours and requires that Your vehicle be kept in the shop overnight. Valid receipts are required for reimbursement. Coverage Includes: Expenses related to Breakdown Away From Home
DIFFERENTIAL - Housings covered when damaged from within Coverage Includes: Differential Housing (Front), Differential Housing (Rear), Differential Internally Lubricated Parts (Front), Differential Internally Lubricated Parts (Rear), Differential Viscous Couplers Coverage Excludes: Differential 4WD Locking Hubs
ELECTRICAL - Does not include computerized systems and other electronics not specifically listed Coverage Includes: Alternator, Alternator Voltage Regulator, Starter Motor, Starter Motor Solenoid
ENGINE - Excludes damage caused by overheating regardless of cause. Coverage Includes: Broken Piston Rings, Camshaft and Bearings, Connecting Rods and Bearings, Crankshaft, Cylinder Heads (excluding damage caused by overheating regardless of the cause), Engine Block (excluding damage caused by overheating regardless of the cause), Engine Internally Lubricated Parts, Engine Main Bearings, Engine Oil Pump, Engine Water Pump, Exhaust Valves, Intake Valves, Internal Variable Timing Components, Pistons, Rocker Arm Assemblies, Timing Belt/Timing Chain and related gears and tensioners, Valve Covers, Valve Guides, Valve Lifters and Push Rods, Valve Springs and Retainers, Wrist Pins Coverage Excludes: Catalytic Converter, Diesel Fuel Injection Systems, Hybrid-Specific Components
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE - You will be reimbursed up to $100 per occurrence for the following services: Towing, Fuel Delivery (excluding the cost of fuel), Battery Boost, Lockout Services (excluding locksmith costs), Tire Change and Winching Services. This coverage applies to the registered vehicle and anyone who is driving it. Coverage is limited to a maximum of 3 (three) service calls. Coverage is terminated on the expiration date or odometer reading, whichever occurs first, and is subject to the Terms and Conditions outlined in this document. For details on how to receive reimbursement, refer to Section 2: How To Claim. Coverage Includes: Battery Boost, Fuel Delivery, Lockout Services (excluding locksmith costs), Tire Change, Vehicle Towing, Winching
SEALS AND GASKETS - All those used to contain fluids/lubricants within the covered parts. Seeping or sweating is not covered as this is considered normal and acceptable. Coverage Includes: All seals and gaskets used to contain fluids/lubricants within the covered components, Camshaft Seals, Crankshaft Seals, Cylinder Head Gaskets, Differential Seals and Gaskets, Intake Manifold Gaskets, Oil Pan Gasket, Timing Cover Gasket, Transfer Case Seals and Gaskets, Transmission/Transaxle Seals and Gaskets, Valve Cover Gaskets, Valve Seals
TRANSFER CASE - 4WD/AWD. Housings covered when damaged from within Coverage Includes: Transfer Case Housing, Transfer Case Internally Lubricated Parts
TRANSMISSION - Automatic/Standard Coverage Includes: Modulator Valve, Solenoid Packs, Torque Converter, Transmission Case (when damaged from within), Transmission Internally Lubricated Parts Coverage Excludes: External Linkages, Flexplate / Ring Gear, Flywheel, Manual Clutch Components
TURBO / SUPERCHARGER - Housings covered when damaged from within Coverage Includes: By-Pass Valve, Clutch & Pulley, Intercooler, Oil Feed Lines, Supercharger Compressor, Supercharger Housing, Supercharger Internally Lubricated Parts, Supercharger Water Pump, Turbo Housing, Turbo Internally Lubricated Parts, Turbo Water Pump, Wastegate, Wastegate Blow Off Valve, Wastegate Controller
Old 03-26-2023, 07:29 AM

Received 356 Likes on 220 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
I've not seen a plan like this in the US. I don't know what the market for extended warranties are like in Canada, but this looks okay. It is more like a discount plan than a true warranty, as you will quickly exceed the cost of the vehicle, if much of anything goes wrong. They usually base the price of the vehicle on the lowest, worst valuation out there they can find--wholesale. $4000 per repair--I can't seem to get out of the dealer for much of anything for less than that. But, the price of the warranty is quite low. I'd do it, if that was my only option. My warranty on my 2008 allows me up to the price of the vehicle per repair, without a maximum...so I could in theory max out the cost of the car every month, if my car were so broken. A new warranty I've purchased for my EQS is quite different.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 128 Posts
Depends on the weather
That's not bad. My after market warranty (Freedom Warranty) that I purchased when I got my car covers everything single thing except wear and tear for 5 years/125,000 miles with a 100.00 deductible.

I'll see the 5 years in June 2024 and the price was $3820. Unfortunately, all of my issues are probably waiting until July 2024 when the warranty expires to pop up.
The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (03-27-2023)