S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Scraping noise when braking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W221 S320 CDI
Scraping noise when braking

I have recently had my brakes cleaned and the front nearside wheel bearing replaced. Jusr prior to that whenever I was approaching a junction and lifted my foot off the acclerator there is a slight scraping noise which seems to come from the front nearside. As I apply the brake it increases. Picked the car up from my mechanic this morning and the mechanic has had the car up to have a look and despite spinning the wheel he can hear no noise. He did take the car for a short run and heard the noise also but he is at a loss as to what it could be.
Has anyone ever had this issue and found the problem?
Old 11-16-2023, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 921 Likes on 655 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Jacksdad64
I have recently had my brakes cleaned and the front nearside wheel bearing replaced. Jusr prior to that whenever I was approaching a junction and lifted my foot off the acclerator there is a slight scraping noise which seems to come from the front nearside. As I apply the brake it increases. Picked the car up from my mechanic this morning and the mechanic has had the car up to have a look and despite spinning the wheel he can hear no noise. He did take the car for a short run and heard the noise also but he is at a loss as to what it could be.
Has anyone ever had this issue and found the problem?
Noises in cars often originate in totally different place than what they seem to come from. .

I had a problem that your case might be too, bit of course may not bee.

My drive shaft from transmission to the rear differential was rubbing on the aluminum shield that covers the shaft. Rubbing started after dealer service replaced the flex disks on the shaft when they needed to take the shield off. Shield obviously did not go in place the same way as it was.

The problem was the shaft center support bearing that has rubber mounting for the bearing. This rubber gives over time and allows the shaft move down. This made the shaft U-joint knuckles to rub on the shield when I lift foot of the gas pedal. When car was pulling no noise.

Shaft moves in slightly different position under load changes in the shaft and this is why noise appeared only when coasting.

My fix was to go under the car and pull the shield down some. In my car the shield was made of two pieces and there was a screw in the middle of the joint that I could pull from. The U-joint is close to this point behind cover.

Later I replaced the center bearing and support bracket and then the car was totaled, but that is another story…

I found matching replacement so I’m still driving the gorgeous W221.