S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Rear Axle problem!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes S550
Rear Axle problem!

Hey everybody..having a serious problem. I have a 2007 W221 RWD. It started with an idiot at a tire shop essentially messing up my rear wheel bearing assembly because put the lug nuts on incorrectly and immediately the car waa grinding when i attempted to drive off.

Idiots at tire shop said they not responsible so im gone deal with them legally. In the meantime im trying to get the car fixed. Ordered a new hub assembly and in the process of trying to change wheel hub it would not seperate from rear axle had to basically beat on it and in process messed up the right rear axle.

Here is the issue now. In the process of wheel and axle being off the car was started and put into gear while wheel was jacked up. It immediately started making a loud noise in rear end. The car was then cut off.

So i ordered a right rear axle. Everything was then reinstalled. Went to crank it up and put in gear and it immediately started making the same noise it did when the right rear axle was off. Plus when i take emergenxy brake off the car rolls as the linkage is not engaging in any gear right now.

Car will not move. I dont know if its because of axle not installled correctly or something happened when car was turned on and put into gear with rear axle off. Just seems like something is not engaging. Any help would be appreciated.

ps: sorry for any grammetical errors as im typing this from my Samsung S23 Ultra and the site not allowing predictive words.....THANX!!
Old 03-12-2024, 05:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 909 Likes on 754 Posts
S500
have you changed wheel sizes ? there are TWO very different length wheel bolts - 17" std OEM wheel use little stubby ones - the 18" or bigger (to get the spacing) have 1/2" longer wheel bolts - you can't interchange

it might go round but only by ripping chunks out