S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

If tranny fluid is low, do you get a message or warning?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 08:50 AM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
2008 S550
If tranny fluid is low, do you get a message or warning?

I have a 2008 S550 and recently had the transmission serviced with a new filter and Mercedes fluid. Sometimes when the fluid is cold and I'm coasting to a stop and the transmission is downshifting , it slighyly slams into the lower gear. Wondering if the fluid level is low.
Old 04-20-2024, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 946 Likes on 778 Posts
S500
there is no way to tell for the driver....
never looked with diagnostics but the procedure is to get tranny oil to temp (it has a sensor in there) and I think then manually check using a funny tube u use to fill it

the boxes wear heavily and have some dimwitted adaptiveness - I think the only way to get it to really behave (assuming its not worn out) is to clean the gauze bits on each of the 6 solenoids... it builds up swarf and restricts the flow - usually OK hot not so clever when the fluid id less than 20C - the bits I did with dealer tools I thought helped with really cold weather and still OK hot - but now I'm getting strange rough shifts 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 at ambient temps around 14C for the first 1.5 miles - after this 100% normal

If I felt the dealer tool would bother to function and behave in any sensible fashion I'd try again - maybe I'll give the snap-on one a go - seems merc like to play games on whether it even tries and or how to reach certain special features and get the fix to stick
Old 04-20-2024, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 946 Likes on 778 Posts
S500
of course if you used Comfort, on my car many features of Xentry swap the car over to Sport (and if you've left it there) it will get nasty changes 2 to 1 (that you can't get using Comfort)
Old 04-20-2024, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The message you get is oil on your floor.

Transmissions do not consume oil as engines do and there is no reason for a low oil condition other than a leak.

If you have a leak, you fix the leak. Topping up oil is a near impossible and not very smart alternate solution.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 606 Likes on 440 Posts
222 S-65
Originally Posted by lkchris
The message you get is oil on your floor.

Transmissions do not consume oil as engines do and there is no reason for a low oil condition other than a leak.

If you have a leak, you fix the leak. Topping up oil is a near impossible and not very smart alternate solution.
Where there is no external oil leak..... Most common is an incorrect quantity of oil pumped into the box after a transmission service.

Am still curious as to what 'problem' got solved by eliminating the dipstick tube for the box.

Checking fluid level is not difficult on a hoist.

Next time I have the trans pan off I will be welding a bung to the pan for a separate drain plug so the pan doesn't have to be removed to deal with the (stupid) plastic guy that is supposed to be a one use only thing that sets fluid level.