S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Very Weird ABS, ESP Inop Issue: S600, S320CDI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2024, 06:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
S320CDI
Well, we had a really hot summer day and some slow inner city traffic on top. And after the hot vehicle had been parked for 10 minutes ... similar faults messages came up again.

But it was not exactly the same behavior. For example the ABS etc. .etc. messages cleared all by themselves every time after a couple of meters of driving without a quick restart of the engine as before. Sometimes there was just a quick flash of these messages and they disappeared immediately in a fraction of a second after startup after parking during that hot day.

So yeah, very interesting to connect Xentry and check for faults once again. Hmmm, NO faults from the new speed sensors on the font axle.

BUT a stored unplausible speed fault from the left REAR speed sensor. OMG what is this, will it never end???

Or maybe reseating the (possibly to some degree corroded) big N47/5 ABS module connector made the difference in behavior and the old front sensors were all good?

Because there were some stored messages that the N47/5 could not be reached (but maybe this could be caused by a bad sensor too that confuses it?), I did a couple of CAN checks. It was all good (as can be seen in the attached screenshot, other not present module RFK is backup camera btw.) except that the BNS (also called BSG or in English BCM - Battery Control Module) was not present even though it should be according to the setup. So, I thought voltage issues like faulty batteries can cause these strange effects and maybe this module is not doing what it should do.

But this is a one battery generation car and as far as I could do research until now, the BCM was only present in the older two battery cars (N82/1 module above aux battery). So, did Mercedes just forget to eliminate this module from the CAN setup for this (early) one battery generation? Or is there a different BCM module in some other location that is not working properly?

Two more things I did now just to make sure was to locate and reseat all the fuses to the N47/5 ABS module and perform a successful recalibration of this ABS module.

Big question is what to do next:

Replacing rear speed sensors too?
Replacing N47/5?

Or is it the just two year old small backup battery in the dash in the end? Would be weird though, because the 2007 320CDI (that I haven't had the opportunity to continue working on so far) with quite similar issues doesn't even have that backup battery but the big aux battery in the rear...

Old 08-08-2024, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 906 Likes on 752 Posts
S500
the rear ABS sensors usually fail first

suspension movement can break wires in the cables and the IPC chips used to amplify the magnetic field they see, are made of chocolate
the rear reluctor rings corrode and fall off
and disc and pad detritus builds up on the inner front wheel bearing seals

then like most brands the ABS module will die (its just they must have spec'ed the ESP motor brush guides to a normal clearance rather than the fail almost immediately spec BMW buy in on theirs)

if the car was driven on smooth roads vs another that got a rougher ride then snapped wires comes first - otherwise with similar treatment u are only in the hands of the engineers and accountants design to fail magic where they spent 20 years building a method to make deliberate failure come in a clever, more random manner than the moral police have cottoned on to

Last edited by BOTUS; 08-08-2024 at 09:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KiloWatt (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 04:36 PM

S320CDI
Tested the small backup battery that seems fine with 13.1V after 2 days of resting vehicle (but nobody knows if voltage will break under load of course). And checked + reseated the connectors and the hidden 5 amp fuse of that battery.

We will see if the faults come back.

But can anybody tell me if a 2009 pre facelift S600 with single battery actually has that mystery "BNS" module on the CAN bus or if the power/battery management module was eliminated without correcting it in the config of the single battery generation?
Old 08-08-2024, 05:50 PM

S320CDI
Haha, a German w221 pre facelift S600 (don't get confused by the exterior mods) with exactly the same issue it seems. Yes, parking brake going crazy because the car thinks it is moving with parking brake.
And ABS ESP faults disappear after a quick burnout. Here you go...

Last edited by KiloWatt; 08-08-2024 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2024, 03:35 AM

S320CDI
Originally Posted by BOTUS
the rear ABS sensors usually fail first
Come to think of that maybe it has been the rear sensors' fault all the time. If the rear sensors report a speed even though the car is not moving but the car is programmed to "trust" the rear axle more, it might interpret the 0 speed from the front sensors as unplausible speed, store the fault and shut down the ABS module etc.

Interestingly, parking brake management (rear axle!) goes berserk and the car often does not want to pick up power until the fault clears, probably thinking one of the rear wheels is slipping badly...
Old 08-09-2024, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 906 Likes on 752 Posts
S500
my original sensors failing made the park brake go odd before the rear ABS sensors died completely - I was getting extra bings and bongs at pull away for 6 months and at times the park brake was off when I knew I had put it on, and then testing sometimes the auto park brake release on pull away wouldn't operate

a new OEM sensor on the opposite rear wheel died inside 4 years - with a totally different one off, dead as a door nail failure mode - then the gearbox went metal as well - that side is back on its original 17 year old sensor
The following users liked this post:
KiloWatt (08-09-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 01:48 PM

S320CDI
Originally Posted by BOTUS
my original sensors failing made the park brake go odd before the rear ABS sensors died completely - I was getting extra bings and bongs at pull away for 6 months and at times the park brake was off when I knew I had put it on, and then testing sometimes the auto park brake release on pull away wouldn't operate

a new OEM sensor on the opposite rear wheel died inside 4 years - with a totally different one off, dead as a door nail failure mode - then the gearbox went metal as well - that side is back on its original 17 year old sensor
Yes, very interesting - I will replace the rear sensors and long for a hot day to test things thorougly ...