S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Misfires badly when warm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2024, 05:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2009 S600
Misfires badly when warm

Back again. Replaced the washer fluid reservoir and the rear heater core and that fixed both of the issues. Now the issue with driving it is that it misfires really badly when warm. The car sat for about 9 months with the same gas so I'm thinking it could just be bad gas. Maybe it needs new injectors because of it. I ran the codes and it's all just misfire codes. Cylinders 1-8 and 11
Old 07-29-2024, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 885 Likes on 734 Posts
S500
the v12 has an ignition system that is a bit like going to a 7* hotel its pretty nice, but cost lots to use it...

when we keep the same thread running.... everyone gets one decent set of posts to read through learn and ideally contribute - when everyone sets up a new thread every other day we get lots of silly odds and ends and searching for the right bits is an utter nightmare...

on most forums this leads to a lack of use / interest, as its full of rubbish instead of quality info - here we do far better than most.... and the search features almost function... the best way to add value for others is to do a bit of home work and try search first

https://www.v12icpack.com/

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ml#post8803861

Last edited by BOTUS; 07-29-2024 at 06:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BOTUS:
cruiser02 (07-29-2024), vettebk (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 885 Likes on 734 Posts
S500
having pushed some info of the pitfalls of the V12 ignition system above (as that causes every v12 owner a big headache at some point during their tenure with the car)

the distraction of creating new posts and losing the original information contained - or not seeing when I raised the potential risk this car might be suffering from on three previous occasions, overnight I remembered something likely caused the massive pressure spike to pop bits of your cooling system.

you must stop running the car and do a cyl compression test to rule out this risk

Last edited by BOTUS; Yesterday at 03:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vettebk (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts
2007 S600, 2007 Chrysler 300 SRT8, 2000 C5 Corvette, and 2017 Mustang GT, and just got a 2023 300C
I agree. When I first read about the steam in the rear heater and bubbling overflow of windshield washer, I suspected a head gasket. Before you go any further on this engine, you need to do two tests. One is the compression test BOTUS, who is one of the more knowledgeable and discerning members here, advises you to do and the second is a hydrocarbon test on the coolant (a small bottle you place over the coolant reservoir and it changes fluid color on the presence of hydrocarbons in the coolant indicating a blown head gasket).

You may have some big problems and if you know ahead of time, you can plan what you need to do. If the engine is bad, you can replace it pretty easily for about $4K. There are numerous YouTubes on this kind of engine replacement. Hoovie did one years ago on the Silver Elephant which had a bad engine due to overheating caused by some idiot who tried to JBWeld the radiator leak. I hope your engine did not suffer the same way.

Keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
BOTUS (Yesterday)