S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

W221 ABC to AirMatic conversion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2024, 07:43 AM

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
2006 W221 S500L
W221 ABC to AirMatic conversion?

I'm getting sick of the repairs on the ABC system on my S500.
Does anybody have any experience replacing their ABC with AirMatic and getting everything to work error-free?
Any links to write-ups or video's are highly appreciated also.
Old 10-01-2024, 09:24 PM

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts
2007 SL550 & 2012 S550 4matic
Knowing its not the same MB chassis, I would recommend checking for educational purposes the R230 forums for ABC conversions to coil overs. W221 have similar ABC design (All R230s have ABC standard) and perhaps some components as well, not sure. Forums have loads of expertise on the challenges, suppliers, successes and failues in the adventure. Note: I have ABC in my SL and Airmatic in Sclass, both have been very kind to me so far.
The following 2 users liked this post by MBCO:
Jaap (10-02-2024), Senecat (10-02-2024)
Old 10-02-2024, 07:35 AM

Received 378 Likes on 233 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
My guess is this would be next to impossible, and even if so incredibly complex. BTW, I've been studying up on part availability for ABC parts. Several things such as lines are now NLA. I've been buying up some spares on Ebay for NLA parts to have for backups. You all might want to do the same if you plan to keep the car long term like I do.
The following users liked this post:
Senecat (10-02-2024)
Old 10-02-2024, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 359 Posts
1983 Nissan Shltbox
Totally possible, but it would be a standalone system (not a big deal, lots of '69 Impalas have them) and you'd have to code out a bunch of stuff related to the ABC system to keep the car from complaining.
BOTUS (10-02-2024)
Old 10-02-2024, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 947 Likes on 779 Posts
S500
I don't think you should swap to air tragic - it's awful - go to real springs and dampers like proper cars used to have - better handling, better ride, no reliability issues

all we get is loads of pointless features no one needed to market the idea this costly buggy and unreliable change was something you needed / wanted
Senecat (10-02-2024)
Old 10-02-2024, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by nath_h
My guess is this would be next to impossible, and even if so incredibly complex. BTW, I've been studying up on part availability for ABC parts. Several things such as lines are now NLA. I've been buying up some spares on Ebay for NLA parts to have for backups. You all might want to do the same if you plan to keep the car long term like I do.
I thought about that as well but decided against it. Rubber parts age, especially ones that are not in use. If the hoses go, I would rather have them remade by a hydraulic shop with new parts. As far as the struts and pump, there are Chinese alternatives out for 1/4 of the price of OEM parts. Reviews seem to be good so far so we may be in luck.

As far as swapping from ABC to air...would it be possible and expensive? Yes. Would it be smart and provide advantages? No. Maintain ABC or go to coilovers...or do an aftermarket air setup if you need the height options.
Senecat (10-02-2024)
Old 10-02-2024, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 359 Posts
1983 Nissan Shltbox
Yep, a good hydraulic shop will have more than what is needed to take care of an ABC car. I've even had a hydraulic shop make bespoke AC high side and low side lines/hoses with connections for an engine swap in my 2003 Nissan Maxima. They've got all the hoses, connections, tubing, tubing benders, welders, brazing/soldering capability, crimpers, etc.. Wouldn't be a problem at all to keep an ABC system on par without any factory parts.
Baltistyle (Yesterday)
Old 10-02-2024, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by Senecat
Yep, a good hydraulic shop will have more than what is needed to take care of an ABC car. I've even had a hydraulic shop make bespoke AC high side and low side lines/hoses with connections for an engine swap in my 2003 Nissan Maxima. They've got all the hoses, connections, tubing, tubing benders, welders, brazing/soldering capability, crimpers, etc.. Wouldn't be a problem at all to keep an ABC system on par without any factory parts.
Yup, the other thing I forgot to mention is that there are several spots that remanufacture ABC struts at roughly 600 a pop. So, if you're scared of the Chinese ABC struts you have other options.

Also, no, the ride on coilovers is not on par with ABC, not even close, no matter how many Youtube videos say otherwise. Plus driving a car with no sway bars seems really stupid. I know you can swap the front one from a W220...but is there an option for the rear?

I for one will try to keep ABC going on both my CLs until it makes me homeless so wish me luck .
The following 2 users liked this post by megacrazy:
doni01 (10-02-2024), Senecat (10-02-2024)
Old 10-02-2024, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 609 Likes on 443 Posts
222 S-65
Originally Posted by Jaap
I'm getting sick of the repairs on the ABC system on my S500.
Does anybody have any experience replacing their ABC with AirMatic and getting everything to work error-free?
Any links to write-ups or video's are highly appreciated also.
ABC in 221 cars is hugely improved compared with 220 chassis.

What is so wrong in your car that has you pondering what will prove a fool’s errand?
Old 10-02-2024, 03:46 PM

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
2006 W221 S500L
When i got the car i had the garage replace the accumulators and the pulsation dampers + flush + filter.
Then the ABC pump seized and the belt left rubber deposits all over the pulleys and destroyed 1.
And now an ABC hose is starting to leak (and i guess the others may be bad too)

So it's a no on the AirMatic.
Not a big fan of the coilovers because of the harsh ride and the inevitable errors in the car looking for ABC sensors and such.
This sucks.
Old 10-02-2024, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
plenty of car ride and handle properly with steel springs and dampers - all cars had it till some halfwit invented the rubbish we suffer today

are we really saying no anti-roll bars on ABC cars ? find that quite shocking, Whats the big deal fitting them if thats the case - its not like they made the body shell differently there must be far more 221 in the scrap yard than on the road....
Old Yesterday, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

222 S-65
Originally Posted by Jaap
When i got the car i had the garage replace the accumulators and the pulsation dampers + flush + filter.
Then the ABC pump seized and the belt left rubber deposits all over the pulleys and destroyed 1.
And now an ABC hose is starting to leak (and i guess the others may be bad too)

So it's a no on the AirMatic.
Not a big fan of the coilovers because of the harsh ride and the inevitable errors in the car looking for ABC sensors and such.
This sucks.
ABC pump seized? That’s one I have not seen before. So replace the pump. I would fit a used OEM pump before trying out Chinese trash.

Hose leaking? Which hose? Not common in 221s. My 221 chassis S65 went 150,000 miles without a pump or hose failure. Just got to do the pulsation dampener that threads into the ABC pump (twice) and change fluid + filter. I also got to wipe off a L/F strut every time it was in the air. It would drip at full droop on the hoist. No leak while driving or with weight on the car.
Old Yesterday, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

222 S-65
Originally Posted by BOTUS
plenty of car ride and handle properly with steel springs and dampers - all cars had it till some halfwit invented the rubbish we suffer today

are we really saying no anti-roll bars on ABC cars ? find that quite shocking, Whats the big deal fitting them if thats the case - its not like they made the body shell differently there must be far more 221 in the scrap yard than on the road....
Airmatic cars got sway bars. ABC cars used ABC... Active Body Control.... to eliminate body roll via hydraulic fluid delivered to struts to counter act the forces that make body roll. Not having left and right sides of the car tied together with sway bars makes for much improved ride and handling. Ripping out ABC to fit coil overs and sway bars just stinks of taking on a project that won’t get finished... or if it does get finished will net an end result that is much less enjoyable to drive than with operational ABC.
Old Yesterday, 03:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
the first two cars I test drove had ABC - at the time I had no idea it was an option or that it existed - (caveat of course a test drive with the guy from the garage beside, is not the same as living with a car for a month) - at the time they both drove like a car. Neither stood out as having anything remotely interesting, special or indeed different to an ordinary car. I did not come away thinking the suspension was anything other than it was there. Months later I can across the one I have now, with half the mileage and twice the condition of the two I'd looked at but this one had many more options I was after.

Maybe because it was months later but I didn't notice a single thing different about the way it drove in comparison to the two other ABC cars. Years in to the experience, I can tell you air tragic is an utter joke - this was the first and last car I'll own with air suspension. It is utter garbage - being both a squidgy mess and a brittle incompetent disaster all at once - which is what air suspension is.

Earlier this year I took my 18" wheel air tragic car to be tested by a local indy who's daily driver is a very similar spec immaculate 221 V12 with ABC. But he has 19" wheels - after a test thrash without me in it, he came back and said ride comfort in mine is light and day different to his - mine is MUCH softer

I have a mate with an immaculate CL500 (550 to USA guys) with std ABC and 19" wheels - all he does is have servicing done on his ABC, weeping, noisy pumps, popped hoses or struts that have failed. Or he's driving the car to wheel repair shops to have them replaced due to cracking or trying to make uncracked ones look round again

for 50 years all cars I worked on, or drove had steel springs and dampers - many of these were the best cars for either ride or handling available at the time - yes, you don't tend to have both (unless it says Jaguar on the boot - and then they have other issues where they forgot to try and use quality components - in many ways just ahead of where Merc have taken their brand !) - but a crooked back, cracked wheels and paying for 11" wide tyres isn't my idea of a sophisticated compromise either

There is new tech coming out on car suspension but its not air tragic or ABC... like triple stage adaptive dampers with NO electronics are becoming normal - and 25 years late independent rear wheel steering
(by the way the company they try to mention is ZED F (Zahnradfabrik Friedrichshafen a German technology manufacturing company))

I have no idea how successful or reliable active anti-roll bars are - but been out around 8 years or more - where they decouple the mess when there are no corners - ought to be brilliant

Last edited by BOTUS; Yesterday at 07:59 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM

Received 378 Likes on 233 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by Senecat
I went to three different hydraulic shops where I live. All advertised they would do any and all makes and all types of hydraulic work. All said no thank you to working on my car. I don't know why--it seems like a hydraulic hose would be pretty doable for a shop. Maybe if I lived in a larger metro I would have more options. This was when I started sourcing some spares.

I have investigated going to springs, but decided to try to keep my ABC system alive. I've looked at the Chinese parts which seem to have pretty good reviews at 1/4 the price as someone else said. If anyone has gone with this option, please let us know how it went.

BTW, I'm finding some really cheap prices on spares. Some sellers are charging like 3/4 of list price for the lines, but others are charging junk yard like prices. I got a bunch of lines out of a 52,000 mile car for a fraction of their original cost. So look around if you are shopping.

Last edited by nath_h; Yesterday at 07:50 AM. Reason: addition
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

Received 408 Likes on 284 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Originally Posted by nath_h
I went to three different hydraulic shops where I live. All advertised they would do any and all makes and all types of hydraulic work. All said no thank you to working on my car. I don't know why--it seems like a hydraulic hose would be pretty doable for a shop. Maybe if I lived in a larger metro I would have more options. This was when I started sourcing some spares.

I have investigated going to springs, but decided to try to keep my ABC system alive. I've looked at the Chinese parts which seem to have pretty good reviews at 1/4 the price as someone else said. If anyone has gone with this option, please let us know how it went.

BTW, I'm finding some really cheap prices on spares. Some sellers are charging like 3/4 of list price for the lines, but others are charging junk yard like prices. I got a bunch of lines out of a 52,000 mile car for a fraction of their original cost. So look around if you are shopping.
I went with China front shocks on my s55 220. They were better than the rebuild experience I had, and seemed the exact same as stock. Brand new arnott were leaking new out of the box (old stock sitting in a basement) and arnott was NO help. The warranty and the price are not what they used to be. Arnott is a case of bigger is not always better for the customer.

For the poster that said the hydraulic shop would not work on their car, did you just take them a line and they refused? That’s awfully lazy of them. I do understand if they did not want to removed or replace anything from the catr.
Old Today, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

222 S-65
Present the hydraulic shop with a line well away from the car and it is just a hose. Mention MB and they may get squeamish.... but at the end of the day it is a hydraulic hose. They fix them for all manner of equipment all day every day.

Botus..... ABC in an AMG S-65 is very different from ABC in an S600. S-600 is all about being quiet, smooth serene. The AMG car is for savages like me. I want to hear the engine and expect firmer more responsive handling that it delivers in spades.... while not beating me to death. The sport setting in the AMG car with ABC tightens up suspension a lot.