S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Couple of questions/problems about W221

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2024 | 05:54 PM

Couple of questions/problems about W221

Hello MBWorld,

I bought my first S-Class about six weeks ago, and I love it—such an amazing car! However, I have a couple of things that have been bothering me, and I need help with them. I tried using the search function, but I couldn't find enough information about these issues, so here we go:

Car details: W221, 2007, S500, 4Matic.

Problem number 1:
When I start my car, the radio volume is always very high. It doesn’t seem to matter if I leave the volume really low when I park; it always blasts loudly when I start the car. It’s quite annoying to be ready to tap the volume down when I start the car. Is there any way to control the volume when the car starts? Perhaps through STAR?

Problem number 2:
After two weeks of driving the car, one of the bladders inside the seat inflated itself. It feels like it’s the lumbar part of the seat. I’ve changed the seat settings to 0, but it hasn’t affected anything. It’s been like this for four weeks now, and it feels like I have a pillow in my back—definitely not fun! I’ve tried adjusting the seat settings in the command menu, but nothing seems to deflate it. I’ve seen some people mention a leak, but that doesn’t sound right to me. If there were a leak, it should be empty, right? Or at least if I don’t drive for 3-5 days. Is there any way to manually “empty” the bags/bladders or “reset” the seat/bladder settings? If not, how can I repair this? Is the module broken?

Problem number 3:
When I bought the car, the keyless entry didn’t work on any of the doors, though it did work on the trunk and inside the car (I didn’t need to insert the key). I read here that the wires from the door handle often break, which is the problem 95% of the time. I took the driver’s door handle off and, sure enough, the wire was broken. I soldered it back together, and now the keyless entry/locking works for that door. I took off two more door handles (I couldn’t get the last one off because the screw was too tight), and they had the same problem—broken wires. I soldered those as well and reattached the handles, but the keyless entry doesn’t work on the other doors, only the driver’s door. It’s not a big problem as long as it works on the driver’s door, but I’m wondering why that is. Did I mess up the soldering on the other two?

Problem number 4:
Garage door opener, i just cannot get it working, unit is working but i cannot get them saved, i tried reading manual, youtube, forums and so on but it just doesnt get saved into system. Any help or tricks with this one?

And one last random question: Is it possible to buy just the phone dial cover? Mine is worn out, and I would like to replace it, but I only see people selling the whole dial mount.

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Last edited by Jormakorkki; 10-15-2024 at 07:29 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 10-16-2024 | 04:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
Originally Posted by Jormakorkki
Hello MBWorld,

I bought my first S-Class about six weeks ago, and I love it—such an amazing car! However, I have a couple of things that have been bothering me, and I need help with them. I tried using the search function, but I couldn't find enough information about these issues, so here we go:

Car details: W221, 2007, S500, 4Matic.

Problem number 1:
When I start my car, the radio volume is always very high. It doesn’t seem to matter if I leave the volume really low when I park; it always blasts loudly when I start the car. It’s quite annoying to be ready to tap the volume down when I start the car. Is there any way to control the volume when the car starts? Perhaps through STAR?

the car on both source volume (radio / dvd / tv etc.) is designed to to remember and retain the last used vol setting - its the same process, but different features for the Sat Nav, TMC and Phone volume levels
either its a) broken, b) never had the last update to fix hundreds of bugs (quite normal merc dealers are complete idiots who never bother), you might get lucky getting it installed, c) its had aftermarket stuff added on and its buggy Chinese tat waiting on the next firmware release no one is ever going to work on (normal)

Problem number 2:
After two weeks of driving the car, one of the bladders inside the seat inflated itself. It feels like it’s the lumbar part of the seat. I’ve changed the seat settings to 0, but it hasn’t affected anything. It’s been like this for four weeks now, and it feels like I have a pillow in my back—definitely not fun! I’ve tried adjusting the seat settings in the command menu, but nothing seems to deflate it. I’ve seen some people mention a leak, but that doesn’t sound right to me. If there were a leak, it should be empty, right? Or at least if I don’t drive for 3-5 days. Is there any way to manually “empty” the bags/bladders or “reset” the seat/bladder settings? If not, how can I repair this? Is the module broken?

the air pipes between the pump in the boot to the seats and inside the seat crack and the pump wears out and or overloads - the seats are uncomfortable anyway so don't waste time trying to fix - if your like a pointless fight check search is work well - and there's lots of very long threads to give idea how

Problem number 3:
When I bought the car, the keyless entry didn’t work on any of the doors, though it did work on the trunk and inside the car (I didn’t need to insert the key). I read here that the wires from the door handle often break, which is the problem 95% of the time. I took the driver’s door handle off and, sure enough, the wire was broken. I soldered it back together, and now the keyless entry/locking works for that door. I took off two more door handles (I couldn’t get the last one off because the screw was too tight), and they had the same problem—broken wires. I soldered those as well and reattached the handles, but the keyless entry doesn’t work on the other doors, only the driver’s door. It’s not a big problem as long as it works on the driver’s door, but I’m wondering why that is. Did I mess up the soldering on the other two?

replace key batteries and not the antenna pick ups in the doors and boot like to die - there should be another inside the car somewhere near the key - FYI its also know as keyless theft as its utterly insecure and best not working

Problem number 4:
Garage door opener, i just cannot get it working, unit is working but i cannot get them saved, i tried reading manual, youtube, forums and so on but it just doesnt get saved into system. Any help or tricks with this one?

never tried, but usually some critical steps to follow for many features - the manual carefully hides in the detritus of useless unnecessary info they push across 6 pages of nothingness
also - maybe the battery is flat by the time you managed to add it ? these things eat so many volts the battery when new can't cope for much more than 10 mins with the engine off - and some stuff might need the engine off to cope - the roof module is a particularly interesting muddle up

And one last random question: Is it possible to buy just the phone dial cover? Mine is worn out, and I would like to replace it, but I only see people selling the whole dial mount.

look on ebay - 90% of S classes ever made are in the scrap yard - they have more spares on ebay than Merc USA and europe put together

Thank you in advance for your answers!

see red

also check if under the bonnet is a baby battery 35 amp hour - if so likely hidden at the back of the boot a dead 25kg monster battery - with these at 11.2 volts the car is even more unreliable than usual - they changed during 2007 / 2008 to one large single battery up front
The following users liked this post:
justchangeoil63 (10-16-2024)
Old 10-16-2024 | 05:47 AM

2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
About the garage door opener, you need. Homelink repeater in order to talk to a modern garage door unit...see link below.

About the phone cover, I doubt you can buy just the cover, but used ones are plentiful on Ebay. I just bought myself a rare wood one out of a CL600 and installed it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272433069582
Old 10-16-2024 | 11:42 AM

E320
For your high radio volume issue, a possible cause might be a setting in the audio system’s default start-up volume configuration. Dealer can change this. In some cases, the vehicle’s MOST system might reset to a factory setting due to a fault or software mismatch. I'd recommend checking under the vehicle’s COMAND system menu or using a STAR diagnostic tool to see if there's a configurable start-up volume setting. If this doesn't work, a firmware update might be required to correct any software glitches causing this anomaly. Running a full system diagnostic with the youcanic scanner is something I highly recommend as it can read all control modules, providing insights from the comfort system module affecting the seat bladders to the audio unit. This tool has become essential for me because it reveals hidden codes and data that a basic tool, like the Innova 3100, might miss. Missing connections or faults in the seat control module can be easily diagnosed with a comprehensive scan, which will also guide you on resolving the keyless entry issues. By the way, did you make sure that all connectors were secure and that the new solders on the wires were clean and intact, especially on the passenger's side? That could explain why the keyless entry isn’t working on some doors.
Old 10-16-2024 | 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Problem 1: Have you tried to save seat position with lowered volume level? It might be part of the memory, like radio station can be in some cars.

Problem 3: I had the driver door handle break internally. No broken wires, it just stopped working. Bought used handle from eBay and all is good now.
The following users liked this post:
vettebk (10-16-2024)