2014 S550
Originally Posted by TwinCam
RIGHT ON, CHUCKY!
Old 03-07-2014, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 208 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by Kratos-TM
The Bridgestones have been ordered.....will arrive at my house Monday. I'll let you guys know how the ride improves....
Please set me straight Kratos. Why is it that MBUSA is allowing you to replace the RFT'd with non RFT's and they will not budge with Chuckey? Are you paying out of your pocket, is that the reason? Or, do you have 19 inch wheels in your car and that's the reason. I'm lost as you can tell.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:46 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
Please set me straight Kratos. Why is it that MBUSA is allowing you to replace the RFT'd with non RFT's and they will not budge with Chuckey? Are you paying out of your pocket, is that the reason? Or, do you have 19 inch wheels in your car and that's the reason. I'm lost as you can tell.
He's paying out of pocket.

I think its wrong Mercedes is obligating him to be in this position but truthfully, these run flats are for the birds.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by lsdreem

lol reading this thread it is as if kratos and chucky are getting eachother all riled up. I love the enthusiasm though.
Respected your post up until this part. Totally not necessary.

I've been calm the entire discussion. And I have some good tires coming because of the info Chucky, Dave, Twin, Wolf, and others been sharing. :-)

Last edited by Kratos-TM; 03-07-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:52 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Chucky is correct, I'm paying out of pocket. But hey, when I get these bad boys on, I'll tell you guys the truth about the RFT's. :-)
Old 03-07-2014, 06:02 PM

2014 Mercedes S550

Last edited by Kratos-TM; 03-07-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,243 Likes on 2,019 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Chucky300
Condescending posts are not needed. I wholeheartedly disagree with what you wrote. I, too, did not test drive the car before I purchased it. I did not test drive the one before that. Or the one before that. Prior to that, I did test drive a 1999 S500 and loved it and knew any future cars would only be improvements upon this vehicle. Naturally, I loved the S500 from 2002 which replaced the 1999. I loved the S550 from 2007 which replaced the 2002. I ASSUMED I would love the 2014 S550 which would replace the 2007, especially with the Magic Body Control and updated ABC. I have never had a car with runflat tires before. I was not told in advance that the ride would be very different. (yes....very different). I had no way of knowing. On Mercedes website, the 19" wheels are noted to have Runflats....the 20" wheels are noted to have high performance tires. We were given ZERO warning. I purchase the insurance on the wheels and tires because in the past, I popped tires over pot holes and wished to sleep well at night knowing I was covered. After having to replace all four tires, and having a much harsher ride, I am asking Mercedes to see my side of this, and take the runflats off the car, and replace them with non runflats so that the rest of my years with this car would not involve me feeling the jarring experience of hitting a bump, pothole, or twig. If you are happy with your car, I am thrilled for you. I am not, and I think spending $128,000 plus warranty gives me the right to air my grievances out with the Mercedes dealership and corporate offices. Reading your post without reading the entire thread, one would assume Kratos and I wanted to move heaven and earth and turn this car into something it is not. I'm really not sure where you deduce that we are just bitter or trying to rile each other up when the problem extends to not just S Class drivers, but to other class drivers, and as documented above, other manufacturers such as BMW and Mini. I'm not declaring these runflats to be defective. I'm declaring them to be too stiff to offer a comfortable boaty ride, which is what the S Class is known for. With that said, I am glad you are entertained...that is the second reason for this forum's existence, only after its beneficial public spot to figure out solutions to problems.
+1
This is a good conversation and important to know for others you are or planning to purchase the car.
Most people just don't think about RFT's and I was surprised as well that our new SL came with runflats. There was no indication on the specs or from my dealer.

Keep it coming! One suggestion though: just use the one "run flats" thread. No need for parallel threads for just tires
Old 03-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
+1
This is a good conversation and important to know for others you are or planning to purchase the car.
Most people just don't think about RFT's and I was surprised as well that our new SL came with runflats. There was no indication on the specs or from my dealer.

Keep it coming! One suggestion though: just use the one "run flats" thread. No need for parallel threads for just tires
Got skitso on the other.

Will keep it all here

With that said.... an article from Motor Trend Magazine:

http://wot.motortrend.com/1311_2014_...#ixzz2vK3gj6ZL

The 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class may be the most technologically advanced 2014 Motor Trend Car of the Year contender. With a steering assist system, an advanced suspension that scans for road imperfections, and an automatic perfuming system, Benz's new flagship is the benchmark in its segment. It's hard to believe the 4.7-liter twin-turbo V-8 in the 2014 S550 is considered the base engine. With 455 hp and 516 lb-ft on tap, the large sedan needs only 4.7 seconds to run from 0 to 60 mph. The aforementioned suspension system, dubbed Magic Body Control, ensures an almost eerily smooth ride, occasionally marred, however, by the stiff run-flat tires.

All the more glad I am fighting for non runflats. Happy to see the test vehicle has MBC and still complains of the tires.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
540 6spd
Finding buyers for the RFTs won't be difficult. On BMW forums the guys who lease frequently need new rubber before they return their cars. If you have space to store them at least.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:46 AM
Banned

2014 S550
WOW..........

Mercedes just called me back and have APPROVED ME for a 20" NON RUNFLAT TIRE! I don't know what happened, but I had my old service adviser and my current call MBUSA and tell them they were really making a bad decision with fighting me on this. Here's the tire!!! I couldn't be happier. They are also giving me a free tire repair kit!

KRATOS - you should call Robin (Number above) and tell them to compensate you for your purchase! If they are doing it for me - they need to do this for everyone!

Old 03-10-2014, 12:14 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
WOW..........

Mercedes just called me back and have APPROVED ME for a 20" NON RUNFLAT TIRE! I don't know what happened, but I had my old service adviser and my current call MBUSA and tell them they were really making a bad decision with fighting me on this. Here's the tire!!! I couldn't be happier. They are also giving me a free tire repair kit!

KRATOS - you should call Robin (Number above) and tell them to compensate you for your purchase! If they are doing it for me - they need to do this for everyone!

Wow....that's awesome Chucky. And for those that thought you were being out of line.....well Chucky got it done....so nuff said.

Curious....why the Dunlops? Are they better?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Wow....that's awesome Chucky. And for those that thought you were being out of line.....well Chucky got it done....so nuff said.

Curious....why the Dunlops? Are they better?
They said "it was the only one they would approve".

I was going to argue to get the bridgestones but you know what - i won't fight them anymore.

At the end of the day - riding on the rims themselves would be a smoother ride - these dunlops are going to be perfectly acceptable.

I've had them before on previous S Classes and I'm fine with this.

Let this be a lesson to all - if you are absolutely 100% sure you are right, you never ever back down. Just make sure you can put on paper exactly what the issue is, and move forward with that. No opinions, just facts.

In this scenario - Mercedes put on their own website a picture of the Sports package with the 19" tires and a picture of the sports package plus 1 with the 20" tires.

19s were designated Runflats
20s were designated High Performance

20s were shipped with Runflats instead.

That's discrepancy #1.

When the problems with the bubbles arose, and we had to keep coming back to deal with it - that's above and beyond what a car buyer should have to go through - whether they are under warranty or not.

Thats Problem #2.

Finally, when you are driving the most luxurious brand ever, and we were riding around what felt like bricks.

That's an embarrassment to Mercedes (or should be).

We did not ask for anything out of the ordinary. We weren't being crybabies about it.

I have 3 tires NOW with bubbles. This, after replacing all 4 already!

There's not a soul on the road that would say this is acceptable, normal, or something that doesn't warrant a complaint, warranty or not.

Whatever the reason for the change of heart, can be debated later. I know I had people call them up and tell them that they'd all be making mistakes if they fought the customer on this. I'm glad they were able to back down and do what is right. We were not given any favors here...let that be clear.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 S550, 2011 E350 Cabriolet, Asgard Mothership
As I have mentioned, the tire option 53R (20 inch 5 spoke wheel) is listed as non-runflat in the 2015 dealer ordering guide. Based on that, I cannot imagine why they would not have had a non runflat available they could put on the 2014.

I ordered 53R on my 2014 as I did not want the sport package. I half-expect that when I gt to the Center of Excellence on next Tuesday to see non-runflats on my car. I know the majority of the folks on here ordered the sport package when they got their 20 inch wheels. I figured MB may not have validated that combo (53R tire on the 20inch sport wheel). If that was the case, perhaps that is what they just did.

On another note, I wanted to say thanks to the folks on this forum. You have made this wait a little more bearable. I received the email the other day that Herbert set me up to take delivery of the car in the Center of Excellence rather than the regular delivery center. Business Class to Frankfurt, ICE train to Stuttgart, the Cuban cigar shop, then off to the factory early on Tuesday. I am greatly looking forward to the trip.

I will post in a separate thread my EDP experience, pictures and other parts of the trip related to the car.

Tom
8 Days to Stuttgart

PS Someone will have to remind me how excited I was this week as I am moping around waiting for the car to be delivered to the dealer here in Clearwater by June (I hope).

Last edited by TomS; 03-10-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Typo - Change runflat to non-runflat
Old 03-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by TomS
PS Someone will have to remind me how excited I was this week as I am moping around waiting for the car to be delivered to the dealer here in Clearwater by June (I hope).
That's our job
Old 03-10-2014, 01:57 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Look what just dropped in....

Old 03-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Look what just dropped in....

Remind me what that is again?
OH yes.... your salvation!

Are you putting them on the car today?
Old 03-10-2014, 02:46 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Most likely tomorrow. The closest MB dealership is an hour away, so finding the time to get there is not as convenient.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
WOW..........

Chucky, that is FANTASTIC news. MB came to their senses. I am now torn as to what to do with my car when it finally gets here. My plan was to see how the RFT's ride on my standard 18 inch wheels and then decide.

Btw, it was confirmed today that I will not be taking delivery in mid March. The new scheduled ETA for Baltimore is March 15 (it was suppose to be the 12th) So, It will not get to KC at least until the 20th. Darn! Does anyone here know why it takes so long to cross the ocean? That boggles my mind. Does it make a stop in the Eastern Provinces of Canada (like Nova Scotia) before heading to Baltimore? That's the only possible explanation I can come up with. The ship has been in the water since about February 25 I believe.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:13 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
It's all the stops they make before the Baltimore port. I tracked my ship everyday with marinetraffic.com and knew exactly where it was all the time and could guess when it would port.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Most likely tomorrow. The closest MB dealership is an hour away, so finding the time to get there is not as convenient.
Needless to say, we are all ( including myself ) are anxiously awaiting your verdict.

I feel like I am waiting to hear if OJ really did kill Nicole.... you know...since the ride of the car is killing my back.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:18 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Chucky, that is FANTASTIC news. MB came to their senses. I am now torn as to what to do with my car when it finally gets here. My plan was to see how the RFT's ride on my standard 18 inch wheels and then decide.
DONT DO IT. Get non runflats. I'm telling you - it's really not good.

Btw, it was confirmed today that I will not be taking delivery in mid March. The new scheduled ETA for Baltimore is March 15 (it was suppose to be the 12th) So, It will not get to KC at least until the 20th. Darn! Does anyone here know why it takes so long to cross the ocean? That boggles my mind. Does it make a stop in the Eastern Provinces of Canada (like Nova Scotia) before heading to Baltimore? That's the only possible explanation I can come up with. The ship has been in the water since about February 25 I believe.
Obama wants the 1% to suffer, so he used executive order on the ships bringing the cars.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 550
Can't wait to hear how much of a difference this makes for you! And then wait to hear how much change Chucky's tire change makes for his ride comfort.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
It's all the stops they make before the Baltimore port. I tracked my ship everyday with marinetraffic.com and knew exactly where it was all the time and could guess when it would port.
Oh wow. I had no idea. So Kratos, where are some of the stops?
Old 03-10-2014, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Yes, we will all be anxiously waiting to hear how the ride quality improves with the non RFT's from both Chucky and Kratos.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Run Flats?