S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

W222 interior equal to V12 interiors on previous SL and S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL65 45th Anniversary Edition, 2014 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
W222 interior equal to V12 interiors on previous SL and S?

Hi,

I love the new S Class interior design so much I'm considering trading in my '13 SL65. But I have only been able to see the base leather and trim packages in person, which do not compare well to my SL or the S600 that preceded it.

Does the Exclusive Nappa interior on the new S63 feature equally extensive (and equal quality) leather to the previous generation V12s? Specifically, are the lower door, glovebox door, and lower dash finished in leather?

-Paul
Old 12-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,267 Likes on 2,032 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by pmrogers
Hi, I love the new S Class interior design so much I'm considering trading in my '13 SL65. But I have only been able to see the base leather and trim packages in person, which do not compare well to my SL or the S600 that preceded it. Does the Exclusive Nappa interior on the new S63 feature equally extensive (and equal quality) leather to the previous generation V12s? Specifically, are the lower door, glovebox door, and lower dash finished in leather? -Paul
If you already have a R231 SL65, your leather matches the Designo/exclusive nappa leather on the W222. The only thing that the s65 will offer is a leather headliner option in addition to the dynamica ultra suede. The 65's get the nicest interior options by default (better than 63's)

Not sure of why you trade a convertible for a sedan because of the interior. Different designs to meet their purpose.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
If you already have a R231 SL65, your leather matches the Designo/exclusive nappa leather on the W222. The only thing that the s65 will offer is a leather headliner option in addition to the dynamica ultra suede. The 65's get the nicest interior options by default (better than 63's)
Glad to hear the leathers are of equal quality. Just to confirm, the exclusive nappa includes leather on the lower door, lower dash and center console sides?

Not sure of why you trade a convertible for a sedan because of the interior. Different designs to meet their purpose.
I've flipped several times between convertible and sedan. For me the most important factors are interior and exterior design, drive, and tech. The distinguishing characteristics-- drop top and sporty handling on the SL vs 4 seats and storage in the S-- aren't key decision factors. I only use the sporty handling of the SL about 10% of the time and the drop top about one time in 3; while in the case of the sedan I only need 4 seats or a trunk about 15% of the time. So in my weird world they are equally interesting options.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:51 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Not sure designo 63 matches 65 leathers throughout esp in subtle places like rear shelf, etc

Real question is if one can deal with jerkiness/active safety risks of the POS 63 MCT box vs smoother (though not ideally smooth, but likely far more robust, 7sp 65 autobox) or chassis precision/stability of Airmatic/4Matic vs ABC

Have several '13 SL65s in family: view as best-engineered/built cars ever from anyone at any price (and have had many AMG SL/CL/S over past 10+yrs); drive 'em as daily commuters/wkend twisties cars; have zero interest in top-down driving even in CA weather (find can best enjoy 65 engine/exhaust/downshift blip acoustics top/windows-up w/zero audio/BT noise/distrac)

Only car would migrate to in '14 is S65 Coupe but struggle with extra 600lbs, longer wb, higher ctr of gravity, less aural pleasure, etc vs grtr safety of S65 Coupe struc/ctr of gvty (and like many repeat 65 buyers have zero need for rear seat/sunroof/convert)
But will eval perhaps more advanced tech of 65 Coupe
To be seen if new S platform is reliable (witness MCT/DCT as POS some 5yrs post-launch, esp in context of 700+lb-ft 65s where dainty, allegedly fast-shifting, gearboxes are a major safety/reliability/ergonomic liability w/dubious upside outside downshift blip music)
Also to be seen if, net, net S65 Coupe drivetrain/chassis tech advances driving pleasure/perf/safety enough for typical affluent suburban driver in SF/BH, for whom latest SL65 works grt until proven otherwise
However, the fugly steering wheel of '14 S65 Sedan is troubling early datapt....
Old 12-24-2013, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by WSH
However, the fugly steering wheel of '14 S65 Sedan is troubling early datapt....
The new S Coupe concept has a decent looking steering wheel,it is very ,very disappointing they did not use it in AMG sedans.
Using a stock wheel from a diesel airport limo,with just a bit better leather or alcantara trim looks to me as cheap as the Ford Taurus airbag in the Aston Virage in early 90s.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:01 AM

Lower doors and center console sides are plastic

I was able to see an S63 with exclusive nappa and executive rear seat package this week. While the leather is of the same quality as on the 600/65, the lower doors and center console sides are plastic.

I guess I will have to wait for next year's model and hope they release a designo interior option that addresses these unfortunate details. I would just go for a 600 or 65, but I really want to get out of rear wheel drive. A big frustration with the SL65 is that for most of my real world around town driving it actually feels slower than our 510hp RRS simply because it can't put the power to the ground.

Paul

2013 SL65, 45th Anniversary Edition
2014 Range Rover Sport Autobiography, Fuji White, Tan/Ebony
2014 Maserati Quattroporte GTS, Grigio Touring Metallic, Marrone/Sabbia