S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

My European Delivery Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004.7 C180 Kompressor, BMW X5, Chevrolet Camaro LT, Mercedes S, Cesna 152.
You lucky *******!!
Old 01-30-2014, 02:24 PM

Received 66 Likes on 22 Posts
W223 S580, Range Rover Supercharged LWB, Audi A8L, BMW 750i, Porsche 911 Carrera S (997)
Current status as of this morning is "VPC Ready"....can anyone in the know help define? Does that mean its out of vpc and awaiting a truck?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OBP
I think our cars will come with the standard US speed limiter already in place cos we are not allowed to get Euro spec cars even though we are driving them in Europe for a few days or weeks. The regional spec determines the build standard per factory procedure.

I was told by the MB factory staff in Sindelfingen to keep the revs/speed at 5000/90mph and below for the break in period. I was good about it for the first 700 miles but on day 9 when we were driving Munich to Stuttgart, I opened her up a bit. 115-120 mph tops cos I had wife and kid with me. Much more than that and I would have had family issues for endangering a 3 yr old etc ... I knew then that that was the max speed my car would go on public roads in its life time cos the next day would be spent in Stuttgart between the MB Museum and the Porsche Museum in Zuffenhausen and the day after that the car would start its journey back to the US. And of course driving Munich to Stuttgart, at 115 mph, an Audi wagon and a BMW wagon flew right by on my left, probably doing 140-150 mph...

For the two of you doing ED, a tip if you visit the MB Museum ( you're supposed to get free tix so why not right ? ), try to get a spot in the parking lot next to some cool display car. I luckily found a spot next to a 300SL Gullwing display car which had actually seen real life service on the roads - its original paint showed minor road rash here and there. That pic of my CLS next to a classic Gullwing is something that will be hard to replicate here in the US. Made multiple copies of this pic for posterity. Hope you get some good ones for yourselves too.
I rented and E class diesel and did 153, it would not go any faster
Old 01-30-2014, 05:33 PM

2014 Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by Skerdian
Current status as of this morning is "VPC Ready"....can anyone in the know help define? Does that mean its out of vpc and awaiting a truck?
I would like to know the answer to this as well....
Old 02-03-2014, 02:30 PM

2014 E550 Coupe
how are you able to keep track of the status of your car? MB give you a link to a site?

Kirk

Old 02-03-2014, 02:34 PM
OBP

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Lexus SC430, CLS550 4matic, GLK350 4matic, Volvo XC90 T8, E63 S AMG
MB USA will give you the contact of someone in the logistics company who can tell you things like when your car is supposed to get loaded onto which ship and when the ship gets Stateside.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:57 PM

'14.5 RR LWB, '14 s63, '14 Ford Raptor Screw, '13 G63
Skerdian - any updates on your end?

my car arrived on Friday in Baltimore. Still waiting for it to go through VPC.

spoke to a few people at my dealer and at MB, they think with the weather, I'm looking at the car leaving Baltimore towards the end of the week.

disappointing as I was hoping for the car this week, but with the snow storms arriving this week, I don't think it's the end of the world
Old 02-03-2014, 06:27 PM

W223 S580, Range Rover Supercharged LWB, Audi A8L, BMW 750i, Porsche 911 Carrera S (997)
Originally Posted by oswiff
Skerdian - any updates on your end?

my car arrived on Friday in Baltimore. Still waiting for it to go through VPC.

spoke to a few people at my dealer and at MB, they think with the weather, I'm looking at the car leaving Baltimore towards the end of the week.

disappointing as I was hoping for the car this week, but with the snow storms arriving this week, I don't think it's the end of the world

My car was all set to go this past Thursday. It arrived at my dealer Friday morning but I took delivery earlier today, despite the snow.

For all those wondering, car had zero damage. Total travel time from drop off until redelivery: 39 days. Not bad. Total savings, $14k+ including tax difference on what I would have paid sans Euro Delivery.

Will post pics after snow clears up.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:53 PM

ML63
Looking forward to it. Congrats!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:56 PM

ML63
oswiff, how much did you manage to squeeze from the transaction with your S63? Did you end up paying the full MSRP or less?
Old 02-03-2014, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator2029
oswiff, how much did you manage to squeeze from the transaction with your S63? Did you end up paying the full MSRP or less?
less... i paid 6K off sticker. 1K of that was from my redeeming AMEX points to get 1K off a mercedes.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:40 PM

My car was all set to go this past Thursday. It arrived at my dealer Friday morning but I took delivery earlier today, despite the snow.

For all those wondering, car had zero damage. Total travel time from drop off until redelivery: 39 days. Not bad. Total savings, $14k+ including tax difference on what I would have paid sans Euro Delivery.

Congratulations - 39 days doesn't seem too bad.

How many days from the docking to when it arrived at your dealer?

Just curious because my car arrived in Baltimore on Friday night but today would be the first day the VPC would see it.

Do you know if your vessel was a WWL vessel?

The snow is not helping the timing
Old 02-03-2014, 08:15 PM

Congratulations - 39 days doesn't seem too bad.

How many days from the docking to when it arrived at your dealer?

Just curious because my car arrived in Baltimore on Friday night but today would be the first day the VPC would see it.

Do you know if your vessel was a WWL vessel?

The snow is not helping the timing
About 6 days...4 of which were working days. Did you do ED also? If not, car usually stays at vpc no more than 1-2 days.

My car was on the Don Juan vessel, a WWL ship. You should expect your car end of this week. Which dealer?
Old 02-03-2014, 08:22 PM

About 6 days...4 of which were working days. Did you do ED also? If not, car usually stays at vpc no more than 1-2 days.

My car was on the Don Juan vessel, a WWL ship. You should expect your car end of this week. Which dealer?
Thanks for that info. Mine is not an ED.

My vessel was the Torrens, if you go on the WWL track and trace website, could you tell me what the status details are? Your VIN in the cargo ID should pull it up. Mine is at discharged and has been at that since Saturday. Today would be the first day VPC sees it but I'm still at "discharged" and supposedly the details update in real time.

My dealer is MB North Olmsted in Ohio. It takes a day or two to get from Baltimore to them and I see it two days after that (one day to check it over and one day to come back to NY).

If I get it by next weekend I'll be happy, this weekend is not going to happen unfortunately
Old 02-05-2014, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 217 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Hi all,

Interesting to see the delivery times. My '14 S550 4matic was a Euro Delivery on Don Juan and was VPC ready on 2/3/14. ETA to dealer in Pittsburgh is 2/10/14. Can't wait!

I actually did not do Euro Delivery but my dealer in Pittsburgh purchased eight Euro Cars that apparently people ordered and cancelled. Mine was on of those cars.

The dealer sent a sales rep over to Germany to drive the eight cars about one mile from the delivery center to the shipping agent. The dealer delivered it to the shipping agent on 12/16/13 and it looks like it will be at the dealer on or about 2/10/14.

I am enjoying everyone's posts so I thought I would post my own experience here.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:58 PM

sorry to hijack this thread OP... i'm moving this back to the thread I started "production and delivery"
Old 02-06-2014, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by MTrauman
Hi all,

Interesting to see the delivery times. My '14 S550 4matic was a Euro Delivery on Don Juan and was VPC ready on 2/3/14. ETA to dealer in Pittsburgh is 2/10/14. Can't wait!

I actually did not do Euro Delivery but my dealer in Pittsburgh purchased eight Euro Cars that apparently people ordered and cancelled. Mine was on of those cars.

The dealer sent a sales rep over to Germany to drive the eight cars about one mile from the delivery center to the shipping agent. The dealer delivered it to the shipping agent on 12/16/13 and it looks like it will be at the dealer on or about 2/10/14.

I am enjoying everyone's posts so I thought I would post my own experience here.

Update on my Euro Delivery car. It is at the dealer. My office is 1/4 mile from dealership. I drove by after coming back from a meeting . I saw the approximate 8 Euro Delivery cars being unloaded and confirmed mine car was in the group.

I have set up delivery for 9am Friday morning.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 S550 4matic Palladium, 12 G550 Edition Select Silver, 10 BMW 128i Cabrio Blue Water
Originally Posted by MTrauman
Hi all,

Just curious, who is your dealer and did you receive any "additional discount" for your vehicle as a result of it being a cancelled ED car.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by 13pauls
Just curious, who is your dealer and did you receive any "additional discount" for your vehicle as a result of it being a cancelled ED car.

Dealer is Bobby Rahal Motorcar in Wexford, PA. Bobby Rahal also owns Mercedes Benz of Pittsburgh. These are the two largest dealers in Pittsburgh (They are an absolutely 1st class dealership--I have purchased MBs from a number of places around the country in the past as well).

They were given the option, along with other dealers, to purchase Euro Delivery Cars (this was on top of their normal allocations). I believe there were 36 Euro Delivery Cars on the Don Juan Ship that mine was on that were cancelled ED cars. My understanding is that MB in Germany "always" has some cars that people cancel and they ship them out to dealers as part of their normal allocation. But because the allocation of '14 S550 4matics have been limited to the US dealers, MB decided to "clear the deck" of the cancelled Euro cars and not keep them in a "pool" for people who want to do Euro Delivery on short notice. In other words, the demand in the US is higher than the supply so they wanted to sell the Euro Delivery cars ASAP.

So good question since I attempted to get the 7% ED discount but the dealer "said no way". They offered a 3% discount to long standing clients like me. I do not know if they have sold all the Euro Delivery cars since they have not had a 4Matic on their lot since late November. They pre-sold all their allocations to people who have ordered the cars.

I did sell them my 2008 S550 4Matic before the end of 2013 and I am positive they made good money on that car since they sold it in less than one week. I am a fanatic about taking care of my cars.

I have purchased 7 MBs from Bobby Rahal since they opened in 1997 (mostly S Classes, with one E Class, and one ML) so I had a little bit more leverage than the 3% offered but not much since dealers appear to have had a difficult time getting S 4matic Sport package cars. I believe a lot of the supply went to China in the early going of production.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by MTrauman; 02-06-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:08 AM

2014 E550 Coupe
My Euro Delivery adventure is really starting to feel real to me now that I got my "package" delivered in the mail yesterday with my car vouchers, hotel certificate , etc. March 28 is the day we leave for Stuggart. 44 days left to go.
When i talked to herbert last night, he estimated my car would get back to me by mid-June with a April 3 drop off date in Zurich. Dropping the car off outside of Germany adds some time i guess. My lease on my Infiniti isn't up until July, so that good. Get this..I call Infiniti to see if i can drop the car off a month early. They said, sure..make the last payment (july) and you can drop it off earlier if you like. My response. That car is sitting in my driveway until July 31st and BTW..i will never buy a Infiniti again. Their customer service is the worst...
Old 02-11-2014, 09:16 AM
OBP

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Lexus SC430, CLS550 4matic, GLK350 4matic, Volvo XC90 T8, E63 S AMG
It's going to be a wonderful experience. You will really enjoy it. My sales guy back at the dealership was so envious that we got to see the MB Museum with all its MB history in Stuttgart. We also took some scenic shots of our car traversing the Alps. Check out the competition in Zuffenhausen, Munich and Ingolstadt if you have the time. Enjoy !
Old 02-11-2014, 09:46 AM

2014 E550 Coupe
We get in a couple of days before the car pick up so we are going to the MB Museum and try to get to Munich to visit the Welt. From there it's Switzerland (free night) Lake como, Zurich to drop the car off and then taking the TGV nonstop to Paris, then home a couple of days later. It's my first trip to Europe and my first Mercedes, so this is going to be something. I've been planning this for over a year. If anyone else decides to do this make sure you use Herbert at MB Escondido. Extra discount for out of town customers.

Originally Posted by OBP
It's going to be a wonderful experience. You will really enjoy it. My sales guy back at the dealership was so envious that we got to see the MB Museum with all its MB history in Stuttgart. We also took some scenic shots of our car traversing the Alps. Check out the competition in Zuffenhausen, Munich and Ingolstadt if you have the time. Enjoy !
Old 02-11-2014, 02:50 PM

2014 E550 Coupe
I think that was record delivery time! Loking forward to the pictures...

Old 02-20-2014, 06:40 PM

2015 E63S AMG
Not really, otherwise they wouldn't do it at all. They don't tell you this, but MBUSA gives dealers 10% of final sale price. And this is not related to bonuses, allocations, etc. One of the stipulations is that 7% is taken off automatically. However, you may negotiate higher, which will just be less money out of that 10%.

Sure, I guess they would make much more money on a brand new S off the lot, however, this is program is pure paperwork and phone calls, so not too bad either. Its sort of like extra income for the dealership.

In any case, I'm not expert. I've just been doing alot of research these past few months and the bottom line is that instead of paying full msrp, i'm paying way less, which let me option the car a little better for my budget.

Only real downside- The month long wait for redelivery.

Your correct, I just got back from picking up my C63 AMG 507 there. The dealer gets 10% of final price and they get their check cut the day you sign paperwork, which for me was 30 days prior to my trip.

I was told 11 weeks from drop off from the IFF lady,

I dropped of in Frankfurt on 2/3 and tracking says ETD: 2/23 ETA:3/7, your saying with zero damage I should have my car mid march?

BTW, I almost used Herbert as well, my dealer is the worst with this purchase. They screwed everything up and I mean everything. MB of Freehold, NJ . but, I got 14 off from them after all the rectifying of screw ups.

Last edited by autockr989; 02-20-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:14 PM

2015 AMG C63s Edition 1
Picking up a C63 507 Edition. Delivery date 2 May 14. Going through Herbert as well. Looking forward to everyone's experience here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My European Delivery Experience