S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Why the W222 is better than the W221

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
UNIMOG
Why the W222 is better than the W221

Just thought I would start a thread that New owners could list the little things that make the new S-Class better or Worse than its predecessor the W221 as well as post some tips and tricks that you have discovered.

Things I love.

1) The fragrance atomizer/ionizer . At first I thought this was a gimmick but it really is amazing. Keeps your car smelling fresh and clean. It doesn't just mask odors. I believe this is why there is no "new car smell".

2) The headlights. Up/Down/Left/Right the beam points towards whatever direction you are going.

3) The little portable Ash Tray.

4) Exclusive buttons to access top-level menu items.

------

Things I don't love.

1) Command. Feels much slower, too many safety popups, difficult to navigate. Will probably take some getting used to.

2) ECO Mode. Pointless start-stop of the engine. (Yes I know you can turn it off)

3) Touch sensitive keypad. Only displays which button your finger is touching .

There are many more I would list pros/cons but saving some of them for others to chime in.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
I don't like the steering wheel and the fact that even AMG models (S63/65) have the same wheel.
They should have the new wheel from S Coupe Concept.....
Old 01-07-2014, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by lsdreem
Just thought I would start a thread that New owners could list the little things that make the new S-Class better or Worse than its predecessor the W221 as well as post some tips and tricks that you have discovered.

Things I love.

2) The headlights. Up/Down/Left/Right the beam points towards whatever direction you are going.

4) Exclusive buttons to access top-level menu items.

------

Things I don't love.

3) Touch sensitive keypad. Only displays which button your finger is touching .
I've seen your list before but only now paid attention to a few points. At least Euro W221 models have had Bi-Xenon lights that turn to the direction you steer. The W222 has an option for a dynamic light pattern like "long beams excluding the are of a car in front" etc.

The exclusive buttons for top level menus seem the same to me for both models, I wonder if I've missed something from the 222.

What do you expect the touch sensitive keypad should display in addition to the actual button being pressed? I understand one can program features for each button and in this case you would get more info, are you after something else?

Considering the keypad, I wonder how does one use the new touchpad, like dialling a number or simply selecting a radio preset. I have not seen the touchpad "live" in any presentation yet.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:36 AM

UNIMOG
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I've seen your list before but only now paid attention to a few points. At least Euro W221 models have had Bi-Xenon lights that turn to the direction you steer. The W222 has an option for a dynamic light pattern like "long beams excluding the are of a car in front" etc.

The exclusive buttons for top level menus seem the same to me for both models, I wonder if I've missed something from the 222.
w221
Why the W222 is better than the W221-1oqkmtr.jpg

w222
Why the W222 is better than the W221-dcpeomx.jpg

I never used the console buttons in the w221 to access command aside from the "back" button. I find myself using the console buttons without having to look down very easily in my w222.

Also you can mute the radio by pressing down on the volume wheel as opposed to the steering controls in the w221.

What do you expect the touch sensitive keypad should display in addition to the actual button being pressed? I understand one can program features for each button and in this case you would get more info, are you after something else?
All it does is highlight the button shown in the dialpad/favorites menu in command that your finger is hovering above. I don't have much expectations of this feature but now having given some thought, it would be nice to have the button spoken as you touch it would be a good option. That way it is less distracting having to look down to make sure you press the right one.

Considering the keypad, I wonder how does one use the new touchpad, like dialling a number or simply selecting a radio preset. I have not seen the touchpad "live" in any presentation yet.
IMO the layout and controls on the w222 are more "command" focused rather than random on the W221.
The following users liked this post:
riv-stage 1 (03-13-2021)
Old 01-07-2014, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lsdreem, thanks for your clarifications. Even if I knew the difference between top level menu buttons, I did not consider them different. Now I understand what you actually mean with the exclusive buttons.

PS. it will still be interesting to see how the touchpad works when compared to the current keypad.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:03 AM

UNIMOG
lsdreem, thanks for your clarifications. Even if I knew the difference between top level menu buttons, I did not consider them different. Now I understand what you actually mean with the exclusive buttons.

PS. it will still be interesting to see how the touchpad works when compared to the current keypad.
You mean the Touch sensitive keypad? Or Touch Screen that is supposedly going to be in MY2015 ??

If you mean touch screen, I have touchscreen/haptic feedback in my cadillac suv and I hate it. The smudges get so bad that the screen turns into a blurry haze. It is likely to be a very glossy screen which is a fingerprint and grease magnet.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lsdreem
You mean the Touch sensitive keypad? Or Touch Screen that is supposedly going to be in MY2015 ??

If you mean touch screen, I have touchscreen/haptic feedback in my cadillac suv and I hate it. The smudges get so bad that the screen turns into a blurry haze. It is likely to be a very glossy screen which is a fingerprint and grease magnet.
I don't mean touch screen and I don't mean touch sensitive keypad (as it is today) but the laptop touchpad type replacement of the touch sensitive keypad. I still believe there will not be a touch screen, sounds like a confusion but we will see it at latest when the cars appear.

I absolutely agree with the touchscreen issues. Even if the car had a touchscreen, I would never use it if at all it was possible to operate features without making fingerprints to the screen.