Things I learned today about MB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Things I learned today about MB

Was just doing some reading today and learned about some interesting tidbits I didn't know. So I thought I share...

1. For anyone having allergies. Mercedes is the benchmark for low allergy car interiors. This is done through testing of materials for contact and inhalation and certifying them. They have a database of about 8000 non-allergenic materials that designers are allowed to use when designing new MB interiors.
MB is the only car manufacturer that is quality certified (from the European Center of Allergy Research) and apparently has done so for the last 22 years.

2. Perusing the digital operating manual, I came across the term "active bonnet". I guess someone from the UK has been responsible for the translation, but I didn't realize that in case of an accident, the hood is lifted by about 4 inches at the hinge right by the A-pillars to protect a person from injury by getting too close to the engine.
This is accomplished through "Pyro-Technics"!?! Hope that wasn't responsible for the burned S-Class mentioned in another thread...

Last edited by Rock; 04-21-2014 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Because I care
Old 04-21-2014, 09:47 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
S550
Cool stuff Wolf. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Wolfman
2. Perusing the digital operating manual, I came across the term "active bonnet". I guess someone from the UK has been responsible for the translation, but I didn't realize that in case of an accident, the hood is lifted by about 4 inches at the hinge right by the A-pillars to protect a person from injury by getting too close to the engine.
This is accomplished through "Pyro-Technics"!?! Hope that wasn't responsible for the burned S-Class mentioned in another thread...
We've had pyro-technics in these cars for decades. Airbags and seat belts (in an accident) and even certain fuses operate with "explosives".
Old 04-22-2014, 06:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts
W212 FL
Thanks anyway Wolfman , I knew active hood but #1 about interior's materials is totally news to me
Old 04-22-2014, 07:11 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
The active hood, (which was first used on the W212, I believe) is actually there because M-B's got comparatively poor-ish (vs BMW, and others) pedestrian impact ratings. Since postponing doing the "Softnose" front like all the other Euro cars out there have, for as long as they did, they had to devise other ways to meet at least the minimum requirements for pedestrian impacts, therefore they did the active bonnet. It cost them more R&D and saved them from the not so great "Softnoese" flat frontal look (with the hood shut line jarringly so high up), but only the cars with the "Luxury" grilles really need it. The other M-B's are now coming out with the unfortunate "Softnose" look, which means they'll get better pedestrian ratings, and won't need (therefore probably don't have, going forward) the active bonnet.

As for allergies, that's interesting, but I always found M-B interior plastics to give off the most odor after time. Maybe it's because my M-B's had MB Tex, which start stinking pretty quickly.