S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Comments on 2015 S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 ML63; 2012 XKR Conv
Comments on 2015 S550

I have had the chance to drive a new S550 while waiting for an S65 to be delivered to the states. I have had many, many M-B products (S, SL, ML, CL, CLK and AMG variants):
1) The new 550 is clearly the best MB product released to date
2) Displays, control surfaces, lighting (interior and exterior) exceed previous product
3) Mirror position, seats, doors/door sills are improvements
4) Panoramic roof is much better than last version
Loaner has 20" wheels and sport package - I would strongly encourage this combo; the ride is great and wheel size fits the car. I have seen 18/19" packages - don't think that they do the design of the car justice.
A few other notes:
- The trunk (no 3-D, rear seat package or refrigerator on loaner) is large - equal to previous
- The trunk "ceiling" is finished with carpeted surface (there was a post that said it was painted metal) - not so at least on US versions

For all of you who own one - congrats. .
For those of you who are waiting for one - sure that you will enjoy the ride!

Will post pics when the S65 arrives (roughly 2 to 3 weeks!)

J
Old 06-10-2014, 11:04 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Too Many
Originally Posted by JLamg
I have had the chance to drive a new S550 while waiting for an S65 to be delivered to the states. I have had many, many M-B products (S, SL, ML, CL, CLK and AMG variants):
2) Displays, control surfaces, lighting (interior and exterior) exceed previous product
Loaner has 20" wheels and sport package - I would strongly encourage this combo; the ride is great and wheel size fits the car. I have seen 18/19" packages - don't think that they do the design of the car justice.
A few other notes:
- The trunk (no 3-D, rear seat package or refrigerator on loaner) is large - equal to previous
- The trunk "ceiling" is finished with carpeted surface (there was a post that said it was painted metal) - not so at least on US versions

J
Congrats!! Can't wait to see that beauty
Old 06-11-2014, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
A few other notes:

J
I know you are getting conventional tires on your S65 but what did you think of the run flats on the 20 inch wheels on the S550?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:55 AM

2012 ML63; 2012 XKR Conv
So far good. .
Goodyear extended mobility
Will be on highway today. .
Old 06-11-2014, 09:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 GL63, 2015 S550, 2006 SL55
Trunk ceiling

I agree with your comments on the quality of the new S550. I was the person who questioned why my US 2015 had bare metal exposed in the trunk ceiling interior, where in the previous model there had been retractable hooks to hang groceries and the like. Perhaps, when you reported that the one you drove had a carpeted ceiling, you did not look far enough back to the ceiling that would correspond to the back shelf under the rear window. If I am wrong about this, I would like to know, inasmuch then I could approach the dealer about ordering the missing piece.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 320 Likes on 220 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by lh713
I agree with your comments on the quality of the new S550. I was the person who questioned why my US 2015 had bare metal exposed in the trunk ceiling interior, where in the previous model there had been retractable hooks to hang groceries and the like. Perhaps, when you reported that the one you drove had a carpeted ceiling, you did not look far enough back to the ceiling that would correspond to the back shelf under the rear window. If I am wrong about this, I would like to know, inasmuch then I could approach the dealer about ordering the missing piece.

My '14 S550 4matic also does not have anything except bare metal in the ceiling of the trunk. So I would also like to know how many other people have a bare metal ceiling in the trunk since I too am missing this piece if it should have some other material is this area.

To clarify--the ceiling of the trunk we are referring to is the rear seat deck lid area that has bare metal and not the ceiling on the moveable trunk itself.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:23 AM

Too Many
Originally Posted by MTrauman
My '14 S550 4matic also does not have anything except bare metal in the ceiling of the trunk. So I would also like to know how many other people have a bare metal ceiling in the trunk since I too am missing this piece if it should have some other material is this area.

To clarify--the ceiling of the trunk we are referring to is the rear seat deck lid area that has bare metal and not the ceiling on the moveable trunk itself.
Here's a pic of my 2015--bare metal. Quite frankly can't see that area so could careless personally. I also have comfort box which covers this anyways.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:46 AM

2012 ML63; 2012 XKR Conv
Oops - you are all correct - bare on that part of the trunk!
Sorry for the confusion!
Old 06-11-2014, 10:22 PM

2012 ML63; 2012 XKR Conv
Update on highway driving. . .

Continued great experience. .
1) Power sufficient (restrained) for most situations
2) Run flats show themselves on joints and rough surface
3) Lane keeping worked brilliantly
4) Heavy rain was no issue

One oops - got my sunglasses jammed in overhead storage. . ugh

One fyi - all manuals are available for download (just google MY 2015 S-class operators guide)

Cheers
J
Old 06-12-2014, 07:46 AM

Too Many
Continued great experience. .
1) Power sufficient (restrained) for most situations
2) Run flats show themselves on joints and rough surface
3) Lane keeping worked brilliantly
4) Heavy rain was no issue

One oops - got my sunglasses jammed in overhead storage. . ugh

One fyi - all manuals are available for download (just google MY 2015 S-class operators guide)

Cheers
J
Had the same experience with sunglasses. The one other positive note, the brake dust is almost non-exisitent, which is HUGE. My Audi's rims were almost black after a few drives.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:58 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,419 Likes on 2,857 Posts
2012 CLS63
I have not officially washed my car yet, and yes, the brake dust is so minimal it's awesome!
I wiped my wheels down two days ago and they were hardly dirty