360 Surround View Cameras (FIX!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 208 Posts
2022 EQS580
360 Surround View Cameras (FIX!)

The problem with the 360 Surround View system at night has been brought up here and there in this forum, but I think it deserves its own thread. Until I saw konigstiger's post in the bulletins topic that there was a software update available for the very dark image at night, I thought that it had something to do with the back up lights being too dim or that it was a problem with the back up camera. But after reading the discussion on the bulletins for the W222, I finally came to the realization that the problem was totally due to the Surround View cameras projecting a dark image. In the dark, it was next to impossible to view the surroundings.

I am very happy to report that there is a very easy fix as BadMojo pointed out in that bulletins topic. I made an appointment for this morning with the local Mercedes dealer here in Des Moines to have the update installed. I was told that I was the first 2014 S550 owner to request this update at this dealership. In fact, they had no clue that such a problem existed or that there was a software update available for it. I only waited for about 45 minutes and the service manager indicated that the update was complete and that the problem should be fixed. I did not know for sure until I would test it in the dark. Sure enough, I just did and let me tell you that the difference on the before and after is like "night and day". I can now clearly see all the surroundings in the dark.

I imagine that BadMojo and I are not the only ones in this forum that had this problem. In fact, I would venture to guess that most of you, if not all of you, have this problem. Perhaps some of you probably think (like I did for a few months) that this is the way it is and nothing can be done about it. I encourage each and everyone of you that have the 360 Surround View option to check it out and make an appointment with you local dealer to have it fixed. You will be extremely pleased just like BadMojo and I are.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
Any idea if 2015's have the update already applied at the factory? we just took delivery but I have not had a chance to test the car in the dark.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G550, G65, Conti GT V8S
2015 S63 has same issue. Was told 2015 software update not until August. The existing update for MY14.