S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

S350 W222 looking to retrofit Burmester

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 06:05 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2012 W221 S63, 2016 W166 GLE350d
How did they run the wires for the centre and surround speakers and did they just cut a hole in the roofliner or is that new as well?
Old 10-25-2014, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
@LovinMercedes I think his speaker is the same aluminum silver color. I think it's just the lighting/shadows that make it look darker in the center section. You can see the edges are still silver.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:36 AM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Originally Posted by bb1510
How did they run the wires for the centre and surround speakers and did they just cut a hole in the roofliner or is that new as well?
You open the rear mirrors and it comes off, and the hole in the roof for the speakers was already there.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:41 PM

Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
This 3-D speaker looks great and it also looks black. I thought the standard was silver.

Did you paint it?
It is silver, but all of those holes are black because of the material on the other side of the holes. None of it has been painted.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:19 AM

I think I've finished tinkering with this car! Burmester 3D Subwoofer with rockford fosgate amplifier + twoddle. SAP Module retrofitted, and keypad changed to the touchpad!

Old 04-06-2016, 03:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S350L Amg Line
Really nice retrofit. I have the standard Burmester and was thinking to retrofit the High End system. Could you please make a list of parts you needed to do this retrofit? Did you just go to your local MB dealership for the parts? I want to do the funky tweeters as well 😊

The Sub you installed did it come with the enclose or was that done by yourself?
Old 04-06-2016, 08:13 AM

The sub enclosure is a genuine Mercedes part. I had issues using the amplifier that came with the Rear Subwoofer(it's a separate one) so I used a Rockford Fosgate one with a twoddle wired. I wouldn't recommend attempting to retrofit the Burmester 3D doors or other parts as I found it cost too much and wasted too much time in comparison to the gains. For the two speakers on the roof, there was no wiring around that area, it had to be done by hand. If you send me a private message, I can send you a wiring diagram, but you'd need a professional to understand it. My local Mercedes Dealership was available to order the parts from, it should be quite easy to find on their system. Unfortunately I don't have the part numbers on me, the dealer offered me no assistance except programming for the amplifier. I had a friend whose a Mercedes technician help me about. You would need to find an audio shop with a Mercedes Star System. To be honest, I wouldn't recommend doing the full retrofit of Burmester 3D. It would probably be cheaper and waste a lot less time, depending on location, selling your car and buying a S Class with Burmester 3D or doing a custom install. I'll be home later and see what else I can include.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:02 AM

S350L Amg Line
Perfect. That would be very helpful. I would probably leave the tweeters out then and just add the speakers you did. Cheers
Old 05-02-2016, 12:50 PM

2016 S550 Sedan
Need your guys help

Just picked up a 2016 S550 sedan with the matte grey exterior and executive porcelain/black interior.Love the car besides the stock Burmester sound. Does not even sound as good as my 2014 Infiniti Q50 Bose did.

Obviously i don't want to retrofit this car with the 3D sound, but what can i do to increase the quality of sound and my enjoyment. I was thinking of getting a JL audio W7 for bass, but still would have issues with highs and mids, escpaclly in the front seats.

When you sit in the back of the car it sounds a lot better than the front. I played with all the setting (not that many options even exist) and cant get the stereo to sound great.

Any advice is much appreciated. I cant believe they would make the stock Burmester so ****ty on a 124,000 MSRP car.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by success
Just picked up a 2016 S550 sedan with the matte grey exterior and executive porcelain/black interior.Love the car besides the stock Burmester sound. Does not even sound as good as my 2014 Infiniti Q50 Bose did.

Obviously i don't want to retrofit this car with the 3D sound, but what can i do to increase the quality of sound and my enjoyment. I was thinking of getting a JL audio W7 for bass, but still would have issues with highs and mids, escpaclly in the front seats.

When you sit in the back of the car it sounds a lot better than the front. I played with all the setting (not that many options even exist) and cant get the stereo to sound great.

Any advice is much appreciated. I cant believe they would make the stock Burmester so ****ty on a 124,000 MSRP car.
Hi,
I found the standard Burmester not too good, so I added 3 3D parts and it ended up being much better. They started the system with the 3D one, and then went down to the standard one, instead of going the usual way which I personally thought to have caused some problems. If you're going aftermarket, I would at least recommend finding a shop that is used to Bentleys, Ferrari and the likes who have access to the Mercedes Star System. If you wish to increase surround sound quality, I would at least think of retrofitting the two roof speakers. It improves the surround sound. If you want to go custom, an audio shop would be your best bet, but in the S Class it is quite difficult due to the size of the speakers. I may have more to say in the morning.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:23 PM

2016 S550 Sedan
What is the approximate cost to purchase the 2 roof speakers and also the two front tweeters? Its sad that I didn't order the 3D sound because residualized it would of cost me only $70-80 bucks a month extra to have them.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550
Hey UrBusted,

Do you have the part numbers for the back amp sub and shroud? Is there a wiring harness needed too? I see you are in the UK. Would the USA part numbers would be different? All I want is a little more extra bass in the back, it seems to be all in the front. I went to 4 audio shops and they all want 1500-3500 to build a box in the back, but i don't want to take up too much additional space if I don't have to and all o them want like 2500 more to something custom on the left side of the trunk or in the battery well area. Please reply or send me a PM I'm interested to know what kind of cost and parts part numbers involved. Thank you. TJ
Old 09-08-2016, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by italiano
Hey UrBusted,

Do you have the part numbers for the back amp sub and shroud? Is there a wiring harness needed too? I see you are in the UK. Would the USA part numbers would be different? All I want is a little more extra bass in the back, it seems to be all in the front. I went to 4 audio shops and they all want 1500-3500 to build a box in the back, but i don't want to take up too much additional space if I don't have to and all o them want like 2500 more to something custom on the left side of the trunk or in the battery well area. Please reply or send me a PM I'm interested to know what kind of cost and parts part numbers involved. Thank you. TJ
All of the part numbers needed should be here :

This entire retrofit cost me just over £3,000 but that includes discounts given by my local Mercedes service centre and money saved doing things myself. I didn't use the Burmester subwoofer amp as there was difficulty connecting it, and I wouldn't have that much access to it. With the aftermarket Rockford Fosgate amplifier, I have the twoddle to control the bass and it sounds much better than previously. By enclosure, are you doing leather and everything? 5000 dollars sound like an absurd amount for a custom enclosure. I don't even think the other person with a modified audio system here paid that much. If you need more help don't hesitate to send me a message.