S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Help Cleaning Hood

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550 2014
Help Cleaning Hood

Please help me clean these yellow spots that are not going away even after a few washes. The spots look like microfiber particles but just do not come off the hood.
Attached Thumbnails Help Cleaning Hood-image-1265161037.jpg  
Old 08-18-2014, 11:19 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by DP2014
Please help me clean these yellow spots that are not going away even after a few washes. The spots look like microfiber particles but just do not come off the hood.
Try a clay bar, then compound, then wax. But most of all - clay bar - with express detail spray. One second - I'll get you a video.

Last edited by Chucky300; 08-18-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 550
Originally Posted by Chucky300
Try a clay bar, then compound, then wax. But most of all - clay bar - with express detail spray. One second - I'll get you a video.
I agree with Chucky, using a clay bar should remove most surface contamination.

First - thoroughly wash the car, next use the clay car with a lubricant such as detail spray. Depending on how rough the paint was during the claying process I will typically then wash the car again after claying to be sure the paint is now clean before proceeding to drying the car. After drying the car then determine if any polishing is needed to remove any micro marring from the clay process. Typically the clear coat on MB is very hard and resistant to micro marring from claying (assuming that you follow good protocol: use good amount of detail spray as a lube, don't use high pressure or scrub when claying and inspect and fold the clay bar regularly) so you won't NEED to compound/polish after claying but you may need to, depending on your level of perfectionism.

Claying will remove most surface contamination which includes any sealant or wax - so you will need to reapply the sealant or wax of your choice.

Here is another video of claying (but not demo'd on a MB). You will notice the instruction and technique similarities between this and the video that Chucky shared. This is easy to do, just a few simple rules.