S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

License Plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 S550
License Plate

For those of you that live in States that require a Front License plate. Do you know if the plate-holder needs to be screwed onto the front bumper by the dealer?

I was thinking to tie the plate-holder to the bumper using zip-ties (i saw a youtube video that someone did that on their VW jetta). I would then attach the license plate to the zip-tied plate holder.

my question is....how do i screw the plate to the plate-holder? Is it via nuts and bolts? Was my dealer (really lousy and dishonest dealer whom I do not want to go back to) supposed to provide me with nuts & bolts along with the plate-holder which i found in the trunk? Can I just bring it to any other MB dealer even if i did not purchase my car there?
Old 09-05-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
UNIMOG
Just don't put your plates on. Keep the sticker on your window.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 302 Likes on 209 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by cheapbrass
For those of you that live in States that require a Front License plate. Do you know if the plate-holder needs to be screwed onto the front bumper by the dealer?

I was thinking to tie the plate-holder to the bumper using zip-ties (i saw a youtube video that someone did that on their VW jetta). I would then attach the license plate to the zip-tied plate holder.

my question is....how do i screw the plate to the plate-holder? Is it via nuts and bolts? Was my dealer (really lousy and dishonest dealer whom I do not want to go back to) supposed to provide me with nuts & bolts along with the plate-holder which i found in the trunk? Can I just bring it to any other MB dealer even if i did not purchase my car there?
My state also requires a front plate. However, I don't give a damn. I am not installing it. Since late December 2007, when I purchased a 2008 LS460L, I have not had a front license plate installed. I am certainly not going to install a plate on my S550. No way. Since December, 2007, I got stopped once here in Iowa for not having a front plate. The cop issued me a warning but no fine. He just said "put the plate in the front bumper ASAP". That was 2 years ago when I still drove the LS460. The fine if they stop me again is $84. I am willing to take that chance.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 S550 4Matic, 2016 GLC300 4Matic , 2018 Porsche Panamera 4 E-Hybrid
They look for any excuse to raise revenue in my area of NYS. Didn't want them drilling through the bumper so I zip tied mine. You'll get some movement regardless of how tight you get it so I installed some foam weatherstripping around the back edges so as not to scuff the paint. I used the screws provided by the dealer to attach the plate to the bracket.