S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Night Vision - Something I've Noticed - Strange

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 GL63; 2012 S63
Night Vision - Something I've Noticed - Strange

I've got a 2015 s-class with the night vision. I'm coming from a 2012 s-class also with night vision. I've noticed something strange when it comes to the night vision system activating itself when it identifies a pedestrian or an animal (deer). Once i see it do this on the screen and highlight the pedestrian in a red box I turn my attention to outside the car and to the person its identifying. At that point I can see two very quick white flashes projected onto that person. I'm not sure if this is the cars way of showing me the person or if its the night vision's way of identifying the person to put them in the red box.
I've had it happen more than a dozen times in the few weeks of ownership so I don't think its a fluke. Was wondering if this is normal and if others have experienced it as well.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550 2014
It is the cars way to let you know that somebody is their. Night view uses the infrared camera to identify people and animals.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Originally Posted by mjeagent
I've got a 2015 s-class with the night vision. I'm coming from a 2012 s-class also with night vision. I've noticed something strange when it comes to the night vision system activating itself when it identifies a pedestrian or an animal (deer). Once i see it do this on the screen and highlight the pedestrian in a red box I turn my attention to outside the car and to the person its identifying. At that point I can see two very quick white flashes projected onto that person. I'm not sure if this is the cars way of showing me the person or if its the night vision's way of identifying the person to put them in the red box.
I've had it happen more than a dozen times in the few weeks of ownership so I don't think its a fluke. Was wondering if this is normal and if others have experienced it as well.
This is a feature that's supposed to happen. It's called "Spotlight Function," I believe, and it flashes the pedestrian as to alert them that you are approaching.