GPS problem??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 302 Likes on 209 Posts
2022 EQS580
GPS problem??

Yesterday, when I set my destination from Worcester, MA to Akron, OH, I immediately ran into a problem of zooming in and zooming out on the Navigation screen. It just would not work properly. For example, if it was set on a half mile scale and I would try to go to 2 or five mile scale, it would not budge from a half mile. Eventually, it would after a few minutes passed by. This problem continued I believe until I reached central PA or so. Additionally, the active traffic assist was a piece of you know what. It would give me several traffic instructions for my route and then say "cancel". Btw, that traffic info feature by Sirius/XM sucks. I am not going to get that feature when I renew in a couple weeks.

In any case, the zooming in and out started working perfectly again once I reached central PA. Was this a case of too many people in the congested Northeast U.S. trying to access GPS or is there some problem with the car's navigation system? I had never experienced this problem before.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today I experienced the same exact problem that you described, plus in addition to that, I was not able to enter a destination. Hopefully it's just a software glich that can be fixed with a reprogram.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:40 AM

2015 S550
I encountered the same problem yesterday (twice actually). In the morning, I noticed the GPS was slow in the sense that zooming in and out was taking a lot longer. Shortly after, I wasn't even able to get into the GPS screen, even though I kept pressing the button numerous times. Only after parking the car in the morning and leaving work in the evening, was I able to get back into the GPS screen. Then strangely enough, when driving to the mall in the evening, the GPS screen became inaccessible again (even though the directions and navigation instructions where audible through the car speakers). When I left the mall (after parking and leaving the car off for 2 hours), I noticed that the GPS was accessible and was attempting to download something or was uploading/downloading data (indicated by two yellow/orange arrows in the top right corner within the GPS screen) ... I've not had issues before and I have a little over 1K miles on the car, so I'm wondering whether Mercedes is pushing some "Over the Air" update for GPS (perhaps?) ... I'll monitor it for a few days and see if it goes away.

Also, oddly enough, I picked up an iPhone 6 at the mall and bluetooth does not work (as stated by many iPhone users across several manufactures including Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Honda, etc.) ... It cannot be an issue with IOS 8 as my iPhone 5S worked with no issues, so must be the new hardware. I'll try a few options suggested by other Mercedes owners (i.e. resetting Network settings on the phone) to see if that works. Mercedes however, did acknowledge to one other Mercedes owner that the GPS software needed to be updated or wasn't yet compatible with the new iPhone 6 phones (not sure of the correlation between bluetooth and GPS), but that led me to the initial thought of whether Mercedes was pushing any "Over the Air" updates resulting in the slowness to the GPS (and whether "over the air" updates are even an option) ... If I find out anything new, I'll keep the forum posted ...
Old 09-27-2014, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 302 Likes on 209 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by mlewicki
I encountered the same problem yesterday (twice actually). In the morning, I noticed the GPS was slow in the sense that zooming in and out was taking a lot longer. Shortly after, I wasn't even able to get into the GPS screen, even though I kept pressing the button numerous times. Only after parking the car in the morning and leaving work in the evening, was I able to get back into the GPS screen. Then strangely enough, when driving to the mall in the evening, the GPS screen became inaccessible again (even though the directions and navigation instructions where audible through the car speakers). When I left the mall (after parking and leaving the car off for 2 hours), I noticed that the GPS was accessible and was attempting to download something or was uploading/downloading data (indicated by two yellow/orange arrows in the top right corner within the GPS screen) ... I've not had issues before and I have a little over 1K miles on the car, so I'm wondering whether Mercedes is pushing some "Over the Air" update for GPS (perhaps?) ... I'll monitor it for a few days and see if it goes away.

Also, oddly enough, I picked up an iPhone 6 at the mall and bluetooth does not work (as stated by many iPhone users across several manufactures including Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Honda, etc.) ... It cannot be an issue with IOS 8 as my iPhone 5S worked with no issues, so must be the new hardware. I'll try a few options suggested by other Mercedes owners (i.e. resetting Network settings on the phone) to see if that works. Mercedes however, did acknowledge to one other Mercedes owner that the GPS software needed to be updated or wasn't yet compatible with the new iPhone 6 phones (not sure of the correlation between bluetooth and GPS), but that led me to the initial thought of whether Mercedes was pushing any "Over the Air" updates resulting in the slowness to the GPS (and whether "over the air" updates are even an option) ... If I find out anything new, I'll keep the forum posted ...
Thank you for this feedback. Now I know that I was not the only one with this problem. My car has almost 10,000 miles on it now and I had never seen this before. I have been using the system the past couple days in the Akron, OH area and I have had no issues. It works flawlessly. So, what you say makes sense. Maybe MB was sending some GPS software over the air. The iPhone 6 issue seems very strange as well. I plan to purchase an iPhone 6 when I get back home in Des Moines at the Apple Store. I sure hope MB resolves this issue rapidly as well.

Yes, please keep us posted on these issues if you hear any news about it.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
Maybe MB was sending some GPS software over the air. The iPhone 6 issue seems very strange as well.

I plan to purchase an iPhone 6 when I get back home in Des Moines at the Apple Store. I sure hope MB resolves this issue rapidly as well.
No over the air updates so far. Most likely a COMAND SW hiccup, the unit may have been busy with some traffic updates (still a SW issue) or anything similar. There was supposed to be a big update coming later this year, I wonder have they already released it.

Why the heck are you asking MB to fix the iPhone 6 problem, wouldn't it be better if Apple made their new phone work like the previous one (for the same features that were used in the previous one)? MB cannot watch after all new products that possibly come years after the model production has stopped but they have to rely on the bluetooth standard (even if the standard is a bit vague). Much easier for Apple to make the product compatible with existing cars rather than MB to make their car compatible with random phone implementations of the future.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:53 PM

2015 S550
Agreed that this is not a specific issue with MB (I'm sure it's a software issue on Apple's side as my prior iPhone 5S ran fine without any issues) ... same issue is also being reported by Audi, BMW, Honda, etc ... users. When speaking to Apple today, they requested that I contact Mercedes directly ... However, I refused to do that as it made no sense ... I said if something has to go back, it's the phone (LOL) ... they were able to connect me to a senior Apple technical and I was able to resolve the issue (see below if you encountered something similar).

Update: I contacted Apple today and spoke to a senior technical regarding the issues I had encountered with paring my new iPhone 6. The symptoms that I encountered were unstable bluetooth connectivity and dropped call.

In case you experience a similar issue, here's what I did the resolve the issue (running iOS 8.0.2):
  1. I cleared all bluetooth devices in the car
  2. On the iPhone 6 I went to Settings --> General --> Reset and selected "Reset All Settings"
  3. Once the iPhone 6 settings were cleared, I proceeded to pair the phone via bluetooth by selecting the option in the car that allowed me to pair the connection directly from the phone ... opposed to pairing from the car itself (where Mercedes first searches for the phone opposed to having the phone search for the MB Bluetooth connection)

After following these steps, I was able to connect via Bluetooth and make several calls without any stability issues or dropped calls (something I was not able to do earlier).

If anyone has also encountered a similar issue, I hope this helps.