S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Question...If have you driven the Tesla model S vs S550, why did you choose the S550?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Range has never been an issue to me. We would drive only in the city. For that and with the speed of charging with the dual chargers I think the car already hits the spot.
From a drive train perspective I would take a Tesla over a BMW i8...

That said, I detest the notion that the Tesla somehow looks more "modern" and the S-Class is old school. I love tech and there many things to like in the Tesla but the car is incredible boring (not modern) looking. It looks just like a Ford. Just lame for that price class...

Interior-wise all that is said in this thread is true. The interior options for a $65k car are the same as for the $125k one. So this equals getting an S-class with E-class interior.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
The "range" is everything in my book. I drive a lot and it petrifies me to see myself stuck in the traffic, constantly looking at the battery gage, guessing will I, or will I not to make home.
Silly of me to expose myself to such a thing.

On the other hand I totally agree with you about the looks. Ford is more exciting/better looking than Tesla. And that's only on the outside. Inside ... is just hideous, taxi cab hideous.

Hopefully, they are working on it.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Red Marko
The "range" is everything in my book. I drive a lot and it petrifies me to see myself stuck in the traffic, constantly looking at the battery gage, guessing will I, or will I not to make home. Silly of me to expose myself to such a thing. On the other hand I totally agree with you about the looks. Ford is more exciting/better looking than Tesla. And that's only on the outside. Inside ... is just hideous, taxi cab hideous. Hopefully, they are working on it.
If you need range, any EV is not for you at this juncture. I don't think If have put more than 200 miles a day on any sedan in the last 10 years.
But then we only use them in the winter or for dinner (4 wheel drive, no kids just occasional business associates/friends).

We drive top down/coupe the rest of the year. That includes road trips.

For my situation an EV would be perfect and I tried to like it but there is nothing for me right now. So it will be the S-class coupe or AMG GTS as we got an SUV for errands/snow
Old 02-15-2015, 11:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,529 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I actually like that other people like/buy Teslas.
I, myself, would never purchase one. But, there is nothing wrong with using other peoples money to test and improve the range...
+1000
Old 02-16-2015, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by UrBusted
Just met a Tesla fan that's sure the Tesla is more luxurious than the s class.
"Nope, most Tesla owners agree that the Tesla offers more in luxury and convenience. And Tesla owners have slept in their car like their actual home. The only people who think the merc is more luxurious are people with their dick up their tailpipes.

There a bunch other owners around the internet who said the merc is old and murky, they prefer the modern interior of the Tesla, and that alone besides the Tesla experience was enough to make their decision to own the car.*

Point is Tesla makes many more people happy than an old merc, and it is the more desirable car."
And then there's this.
"Doesn't matter because to people the Tesla offers more luxury than the S class. As I posted before they are people selling their mercs for Teslas.*

The heated seats on the Tesla is way faster than the merc. You are left in the freezer. The Tesla has a bigger back area, and no tunnel in the middle. And it fits way more cargo.*

Others have said its like a space ship, something out of a scifi film.*
http://theaviationist.com/wp-content...n-empty-2.jpeg

You wake up to reality, people value refinement, sleek modernism, and cool over posh interiors of grandma's house.*

And as I said before the dino car offers less luxury than the Tesla."

Luxury and Tesla Model S do not even belong in the same sentence lol. There is nothing Luxurious about it.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
Luxury and Tesla Model S do not even belong in the same sentence lol. There is nothing Luxurious about it.
Correct. The only thing similar about them is the price.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Though I am looking at purchasing a new S600 (most likely) or S63, I could not resist test driving the dual motor Tesla P85D last Friday. It was extremely impressive! How could it not be when you floor the accelerator and hit 60mph in just over 3 seconds with full power instantaneously on in almost total silence. No ICE car is ever going to be able to compete with that experience.

And that is it, the Tesla is really a whole different experience to the S-Class and not a one on one comparison. If interior design and comfort is key, then no contest it is currently the S-Class. Likewise, if experiencing the bleeding edge of automotive technology and performance is important, then it is the Tesla.

It seems to me that one more battery generation on (perhaps within a couple of years) offering additional range, (Say 350-500 miles) perhaps sub 3 second 0-60mph performance, and continuing improvements to the interior comforts, Tesla could really start hurting MB/BMW/Audi/Lexus etc.

Chris
Old 02-16-2015, 02:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
my tricycle
Say hypothetically the interior does come up to par.

How long do these battery cells last? Is it calculated by hours used or miles run?

What does it cost to charge up every time? Is the battery pack sealed from all weather conditions? Is it convenient enough to travel to any state and be able to charge?

These are the questions I would be asking myself before I buy this car. Ultimately the answers or lack there of would steer me clear away from the Tesla. How can you spend a 100k and not be able to go anywhere and everywhere??? Seems like a really limited, good weather car to me.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fkim011
Say hypothetically the interior does come up to par.

How long do these battery cells last? Is it calculated by hours used or miles run?

What does it cost to charge up every time? Is the battery pack sealed from all weather conditions? Is it convenient enough to travel to any state and be able to charge?

These are the questions I would be asking myself before I buy this car. Ultimately the answers or lack there of would steer me clear away from the Tesla. How can you spend a 100k and not be able to go anywhere and everywhere??? Seems like a really limited, good weather car to me.
The battery lasts infinite miles and 8 years under warranty. Probably a real life of about 20 years.

Cost to charge is $11 for 250 miles

Yes it's sealed. Ppl in Miami have driven through floods and no issues.

Yes you can Travel all states. By 2015 end an 2016 there will be even more superchargers. The map is clear on the tesla website.

Your questions are valid but are all answered on the website.

People say they are not hurting mb/audi/bmw till gen 2 but they are. They sell more than the s class and way way more than any other $100k car. They have taken 50k buyers away from luxury German products. I would be one of those.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jason B

Correct. The only thing similar about them is the price.
I think they are competitive. Except the interior. Similar performance. Weight. Handling. Smoothness. Ride. Quietness. Etc.

I cross shopped the 2.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 SL550
I have been in the A8, 7 Sries, S Class range for years, I know many other people with similar buying ranges. Not once have I considered a Tesla, nor have I ever had 1 conversation with anyone else who is seriously considering a Tesla.

Maybe at some point in the future, but my unofficial yet, "real world" experince would not think that Tesla is currently a viable alternative. Plus the fact that they continue to miss all of their sales projections (even though they have creative excuses).
Old 02-17-2015, 11:53 AM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Originally Posted by drsaab
The battery lasts infinite miles and 8 years under warranty. Probably a real life of about 20 years.

Cost to charge is $11 for 250 miles

Yes it's sealed. Ppl in Miami have driven through floods and no issues.

Yes you can Travel all states. By 2015 end an 2016 there will be even more superchargers. The map is clear on the tesla website.

Your questions are valid but are all answered on the website.

People say they are not hurting mb/audi/bmw till gen 2 but they are. They sell more than the s class and way way more than any other $100k car. They have taken 50k buyers away from luxury German products. I would be one of those.
They are NOT selling more than the s class.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 349 Likes on 216 Posts
S560
They are NOT selling more than the s class.
In the US they do, but not globally....
Old 02-17-2015, 12:32 PM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Originally Posted by emilner
In the US they do, but not globally....
I doubt it. By October 2014 Tesla were on track to sell their 50,000th Model S. http://www.hybridcars.com/tesla-on-track-to-sell-50000th-model-s-this-month/
In a few months less, starting at least 4 months after Tesla the s class managed to get over 100,000 sales in roughly the same time. http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-633234-1-1752312-1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0.html
Also, read this article.http://www.thestreet.mobi/story/12893251/1/no-tesla-does-not-outsell-the-mercedes-s-class-in-the-us-or-globally.html
Not saying Tesla are lying but an educated guess is that the s class outsold the model s by double around the world, and maybe a bit less in America.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 349 Likes on 216 Posts
S560
I doubt it. By October 2014 Tesla were on track to sell their 50,000th Model S. http://www.hybridcars.com/tesla-on-t...-s-this-month/
In a few months less, starting at least 4 months after Tesla the s class managed to get over 100,000 sales in roughly the same time. http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-633...0-0-0-0-0.html
Also, read this article.http://www.thestreet.mobi/story/1289...-globally.html
Not saying Tesla are lying but an educated guess is that the s class outsold the model s by double around the world, and maybe a bit less in America.
Mercedes sold 25,276 S classes in the US last year. Tesla does not break out sales numbers but it is estimated that they sold roughly 30,000 cars in the US last year and the remaining 5000 were sold globally. Globally S classes outsell Model S's by 3:1. The Model S also decimated 7 series and A8's combined in the US....
Old 02-17-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550
According to this report on cnet, total sales of Model S for 2014 was 17300 units.

http://www.cnet.com/videos/top-5-best-selling-evs/
Old 02-17-2015, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Ayone that has a Rolex watch, I mean Mercedes, knows that it's no better at telling time than an ordinary $30 digital throwaway. But these same people aren't going to sell their Rolex for that digital throwaway.

If you've had an S class, you know what it's about. I don't see w222 owners jumping and selling their cars for a Tesla. If they do, they are the 1%. Now, owning a S class and a Tesla would make more sense.

Last edited by Jason B; 02-17-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Trying to inject little balance here, what do you say?

Any reaction like that from S550 owners?
Old 02-17-2015, 07:13 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Tesla is much more of a drivers car. Especially the blistering P85D. It's a sexier, more youthful car, while the S is old world luxury, more mature, geared at your more "mature" sensibilities in this price range. Tesla is a car you have to drive, it's not great to be driven in. The S is best to be driven in, IMO, as even when you drive it, you (I) kind of look back and feel like it's a limo and long to just relax in the comforting back seats.

The Tesla interior isn't as "sexy" as you'd think it would be. It kind of feels like a 60's family car in some ways, yet also sporty, a bit luxury, and high tech, and rudimentary.... all in one. I don't like the center console being so low without the transmission tunnel. Takes away from some driver orientation feel.

As far as a handling car, there's no comparison really, the Tesla feels much more sharp and very capable even though it's so heavy. It's a more dynamic drive, and it even rivals the S in waft and solidity I think. The center of gravity is apparently the lowest of any vehicle out. Like them or not, but EV's are a fundamentally superior form of drivetrain for a vehicle, as you don't have all the complexities of an engine concentrated on one area of the car, trans, fluids, etc. Just a bit battery spanning the lowest point of the car possible. It lacks a visceral feel, sound and engagement of an exhilarating motor, but I'm speaking on objectives here, as those are emotional connections which are of course important to us enthusiasts.

Safety wise, the Model S is apparently extremely safe. It weighs near an S Class, and Tesla constantly make improvements. For example; an early Tesla is an unrealistic barometer for what they're putting out now. As a startup, early cars were especially crude in fit and finish and workmanship. They seem to continue to improve.

As for interior, it's no S Class, but it's a different vibe. The S is very classic luxury, non sport, big 2 rim steering wheel, etc. The Model S is more driver focused, more tech, much much more cold and less classic luxury (a bit of an awkward classic attempt). That huge screen gives great usability in a tech aspect, but looks horrendously integrated. I'm not a big in-car-tech guy, I like drivers cars that engage you into the mechanical product where tech takes a backseat to contribute to that experience (not overshadow it). But the Tesla is a tech car through and through, that's its MO.

As for interior quality, again, no S Class, not close, but the P85D has greatly improved some of the weak spots. Materials are nicer now, and it's rounding itself out nicely.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Trying to inject little balance here, what do you say? Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qFV5i8tBhs Any reaction like that from S550 owners?
No reaction because you don't buy the S-class for that. Different priorities. Also 0-60 holds some special meaning to the U.S. In Germany you want to have the car drives great at 130mph plus. Guess which one is better there...

Show this to the Corvette/Hellcat crowd

Last edited by Wolfman; 02-17-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Using the iPad app, the summary still shows posts from people on your ignore list. Not great, but I do see some of K-A's partial posts, unfortunately...
Same stuff as always, but I had to choke on the phrase that the Tesla is a sexier, more youthful car for drivers.. What a joke, at least in my opinion.
Nothing sexy about the Ford look, the hatchback and certainly nothing youthful about the car. There is tech in there, but that doesn't equate to youth.
And if you look at it, EV's are technically dramatically simpler than the S-Class and hybrids for that matter..

To some that car maybe cool, but sexy?? Aston Martin, Ferrari, Huracan? yes. Tesla, NOT.

Btw, Tesla keeps on sending us emails every other day to take them up on their Q1 special. Guess they are going the way of every other manufacturer...
Old 02-17-2015, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by drsaab
I think they are competitive. Except the interior. Similar performance. Weight. Handling. Smoothness. Ride. Quietness. Etc. I cross shopped the 2.
I think it makes sense to cross-shop the E-Class and CLS with the Tesla. The P85D with their AMG equivalents. Not the S-Class
Old 02-17-2015, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Same stuff as always, but I had to choke on the phrase that the Tesla is a sexier, more youthful car for drivers.. What a joke, at least in my opinion.
Nothing sexy about the Ford look, the hatchback and certainly nothing youthful about the car. There is tech in there, but that doesn't equate to youth.

To some that car maybe cool, but sexy?? Aston Martin, Ferrari, Huracan? yes. Tesla, NOT.

Btw, Tesla keeps on sending us emails every other day to take them up on their Q1 special. Guess they are going the way of every other manufacturer...
I'm 100 percent sure you can take a survey of under 40 year old's and the tesla will be crowned as more sexy. No one said it's a Ferrari.

Can you give details on the discount you are getting in email on a new ordered tesla? I have not heard on the tesla forums about it. There is a 2-3 month wait so I'm not sure why they are giving discounts. They do discount loaners, which they call inventory cars.

Last edited by drsaab; 02-17-2015 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by alshaikh85
According to this report on cnet, total sales of Model S for 2014 was 17300 units.

http://www.cnet.com/videos/top-5-best-selling-evs/
Per Teslas own quarterly investor report they sold 35000 model s cars in 2014 and delivered 33500. The remaining were delivered early 2015 due to some delays in parts, shipping, etc.

I don't know how many were USA vs international.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 SL600, 2015 Lexus RX450h, 2014 S550
The Tesla reminds me of my first lap top with 6GB hard drive back in '99 that cost me $1,500. Every time Tesla improves their beta tested car, the one before it becomes obsolete with pi$$ed off owners. Tesla then offers a greatly depreciated value if one what's to upgrade to the newer model.

Upgrades happen often in a Tesla's model year. I for one don't want to be left holding the bag with an obsolete $100K + vehicle after a few months of ownership.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: Question...If have you driven the Tesla model S vs S550, why did you choose the S550?