S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

stop&go pilot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S class
stop&go pilot

I'm confused about stop&go pilot. Also German car makers stop making up names for simple things. (Parktronic really? For parking sensors!) now back to my point about stop&go pilot.

1. How do I turn it on. (Maybe a stupid question, but I'd rather be careful than crash)
2. Does distronic need to be activate for this? And which distronic plus or no plus
3. It's supposed to make my car come to a complete stop without any intervention ?
4. Wtf is distronic and distronic +? Which one do I use to get my car to stop completely.
5. When I press on the steering wheel icon button, I get a grey steering wheel icon on the dash. What does this grey icon mean? Will my car come to a complete stop if required with the grey icon?
6 The manual says something about a green icon on the dash. Does the icon need to be green for my car to completely stop?

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Depending on the MB model, it may have Distronic, Distronic+ or Distronic Plus with steering assist. Your car would have Distronic plus with steering assist, no need to discuss what Distronic does, you cannot change your car to behave like it had Distronic only.

Distronic (I'll call it just Distronic now) adjusts your car speed to what you want like any CC would do. In addition it slows down the car if there is someone in front of you driving slower than the set speed. It even slows down the car to standstill if needed. I guess this is what you call stop&go pilot.

The steering wheel refers to the "steering assist" portion. If the car has been able to detect lane markings, it is able to assist you to stay on your lane. The grey steering wheel means you have activated this feature. If the icon is green, steering assist can be activated (I can't remember if it becomes green only when activated and ready for operation).

The steering wheel does not need to be grey or green to make the car stop when following a car that stops e.g. at traffic lights.

The manual explains all of this in more detail.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550 2014
Does Distronic need to be on and active for the active lane keeping assist to work? My steering wheel icon is always grey unless I turn on the Distronic.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by DP2014
Does Distronic need to be on and active for the active lane keeping assist to work? My steering wheel icon is always grey unless I turn on the Distronic.
Active lane keeping assist works (if activated) more or less independently from Distronic Plus. The steering wheel icon is not related to Active lane keeping assist, lane keeping assist after all does not use the active steering capability, it is using brakes (at one side of the car) to steer and slow down the car to keep it on its lane.

Steering assist (via the steering gear, using electric power steering) works when Distronic Plus with Steering Assist is on (vehicle speed and other prerequisites explained in the manual).

You can feel it from the steering wheel when active steering assist is working. Also if you do not steer yourself firmly enough, you will get a warning about too loose grip on the steering wheel.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:26 PM

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
2015 S-550
Stop@Go Pilot and Steering Assist

The Stop&Go Pilot and Steering-Assist on my 2015 S-550 barely turns the wheel so the car is unable to follow the car in front and unable to stay in lane unless the road is perfectly straight.

That is not what the MB literature says. There are videos on internet showing the Steering-Assist turning the wheel around 60 degrees. On my car it can't even turn 10 degrees.

It is not a Steering-Assist but a dangerous distraction.

The car has been to MB shops. They are unable to find what is wrong and unable to answer simple questions about system operation.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
SL 500
It is my understanding that the Steering Assist will only follow the car or truck that is ahead of your car - it is not designed to follow lanes on the road. Some are under the mistaken idea that it follows the road. Unfortunately some MB dealers have staff that do not understand this either and explain the cars ability to follow lanes.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:50 PM

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
2015 S-550
Steering-Assist

Originally Posted by Rocketman
It is my understanding that the Steering Assist will only follow the car or truck that is ahead of your car - it is not designed to follow lanes on the road. Some are under the mistaken idea that it follows the road. Unfortunately some MB dealers have staff that do not understand this either and explain the cars ability to follow lanes.

The manual says it will focus on the car/lanes in front up to 37 MPH, above that speed it will use lane markers only to stay in the lane. Up to 125 MPH (I obey speed limits). The system on my car can't follow a Metro bus, a BMW or anything else because it is barely turning the the wheel. The MB people are not helpful at all and are unable to answer the simplest questions. Very arrogant, I'd say.