Whining noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 11:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
2009 S550 AMG sport pckg. 2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrewcab
Originally Posted by yo1234
Latest update:

The S600 spent another week at the dealership.

On instruction from MB Germany the dealer replaced the timing belt tensioner but this did not help.

A technician from Germany then arrived in Durban to examine the car. After consultation with his colleagues in Germany, they've decided to now replace the gearbox. No idea yet how long this will take.

Whilst I'm happy that they're doing something about it (rather than adopting the MB South Africa stance that the noise was acceptable and due to "minute build tolerances"), it's disappointing that the car needs such a major repair. I can only hope that my dealer's workshop puts the gearbox in with the same quality and precision as one would expect on the production line.

In the meantime the whining noise has definitely been getting worse.

The vehicle has now spent almost 2 out of the 9 months that I've owned it at the dealership.
If the transmission replacement ends up solving it, it was most likely a bad transmission pump
Old 01-23-2016, 06:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2 X S600
Smile Final word on whining noise

The gearbox on my car was replaced during December. The dealer tested the car and reported that the whining noise was still there. The matter was again referred to MB South Africa and it seems they could not (or couldn't care to) assist further.

My car had spent 92 of the 303 days that I'd owned it at the dealership. I refused to take the car back, or for it to be subject to further MB experiments.

After some negotiation the dealer made a reasonable trade offer on the car and I purchase a new C63S and V250, both of which don't whine like the S600.

I have to give credit to the dealer for persisting in trying to resolve the problem, and eventually agreeing to a reasonable offer to get me out of the S600.

But the response from MB South Africa was ridiculously lethargic. It seemed like they were really quite happy with a whining S Class and a very unhappy customer.

Anyway they've sold another two cars to this sucker - so they can't be too troubled .
Old 01-23-2016, 10:50 AM

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
Good grief South Africa, you have patience of a saint.
I have a cricket/ticking noise in cabin of my S 5500. Was told this was a 'normal noise'. Sounds like an oxymoron to me. Was diagnosed as hi pressure fuel pump. Tried replacing them, no help. REALLY aggravated with my situation as you are with yours. Stay after them.
Cajun in south Louisiana