S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Getting Parktronic to work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 07:39 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
2015 S550
Getting Parktronic to work

I have tried several times to get the car to park itself as it supposedly can, but can never seem to get it to work. I asked the salesman at the dealer and they were able to get it to work after a couple of tries. Is this just technology that is highly unreliable or is it user error?

Any experience and comments are appreciated.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:00 AM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
C43 Coupe
I've never had any issues with parktronic. Seems easy enough, drive past parking spot so the car can pick it up on the scanners, wait for the arrow to show up beside the P on your instrument cluster, shift to R, and then a prompt for parking assist pops up.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
I have it going back to dealer. I have 2 problems. Very often it will not find the spot, driving slow, less than 10MPH, about 2' away from parked cars. When it does finally give me the go, 95% of the time the rear tire hits the curb and the car just sits there. Have one ding in the rim from this episode, dealer trying to get system calibrated. So far no luck, and they will not help with the damage to a very expensive rim. was told to contact MB. Still under warrantee.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz 2015 S350 Bluetec
Also had similar issues with rear wheel hitting the curb, two things have worked for me:

- Set the side mirror to a reversing position that gives you a very clear view of the rear tyre - When you park the car with parktronic make sure that you press that side mirror adjustment button before starting to park so that the mirror moves to the reverse position(showing you the rear tyre). When you get close to the curb with the tyre use the brakes to slow the car down till you are almost on the curb and then brake to a stop and change gear into drive even if not prompted to do this. The car will continue with the auto parking if it is already in a suitable position, which it usually is at this point. (I discovered this by accident when I wanted to abort the parking and it just continued as if nothing happened)
- Alternatively make sure that you park behind a vehicle that is not very narrow or not parked very close to the curb - As I understand it Parktronic cannot "see" the parking but rather positions the vehicle relative to other vehicles. This unfortunately means that if you park behind a significantly narrower car or one that it is very close to the curb it will probably try to mount the curb.

Hope this helps
Old 09-14-2016, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by allie14705
Also had similar issues with rear wheel hitting the curb, two things have worked for me:

- Set the side mirror to a reversing position that gives you a very clear view of the rear tyre - When you park the car with parktronic make sure that you press that side mirror adjustment button before starting to park so that the mirror moves to the reverse position(showing you the rear tyre). When you get close to the curb with the tyre use the brakes to slow the car down till you are almost on the curb and then brake to a stop and change gear into drive even if not prompted to do this. The car will continue with the auto parking if it is already in a suitable position, which it usually is at this point. (I discovered this by accident when I wanted to abort the parking and it just continued as if nothing happened)
- Alternatively make sure that you park behind a vehicle that is not very narrow or not parked very close to the curb - As I understand it Parktronic cannot "see" the parking but rather positions the vehicle relative to other vehicles. This unfortunately means that if you park behind a significantly narrower car or one that it is very close to the curb it will probably try to mount the curb.

Hope this helps
Well, car back from dealer, did same exact thing. Tire hits curb and just sits there. I appreciate your suggestions, it is actually easier and quicker just to park the same way I have for the past 30 years... Nothing but the best.... Not with parktronic. Going back to dealer again. Will keep you posted.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,238 Likes on 2,017 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Well, car back from dealer, did same exact thing. Tire hits curb and just sits there. I appreciate your suggestions, it is actually easier and quicker just to park the same way I have for the past 30 years... Nothing but the best.... Not with parktronic. Going back to dealer again. Will keep you posted.
If I recall, the system assumes the width of the parking spot is based on the car behind the opening. If there is a car that is narrower than the S-Class (smaller car) it will likely hit the Curb as it uses the front-driverside corner of that car as a guide.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by Wolfman
If I recall, the system assumes the width of the parking spot is based on the car behind the opening. If there is a car that is narrower than the S-Class (smaller car) it will likely hit the Curb as it uses the front-driverside corner of that car as a guide.
Don't know for sure on that one, it should state that in the owners manual if so...

Its a bit sad they use the term "nothing but the best" with them falling short often....
No one and nothing is perfect, I get it but its a bit of a stretch. MBRACE is a disaster compared to OnStar...
Old 09-21-2016, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,238 Likes on 2,017 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Don't know for sure on that one, it should state that in the owners manual if so...

Its a bit sad they use the term "nothing but the best" with them falling short often....
No one and nothing is perfect, I get it but its a bit of a stretch. MBRACE is a disaster compared to OnStar...
The manual will almost never state how things work. They just state how to use it

Re. mbrace, it depends on what you mean. Internet, roadside assistance, the apps, concierge services, remote locking or start, or?

Some things are decent, some horrible. Overall a useless service (just like on-star IMO). I only use it for emergency services with gps location in case of an accident. That worth it to me. The rest is done via iPhone/Bluetooth.

I have to admit that Mbrace is much improved in the SL with LTE Internet speeds. Still wouldn't use it...
CarPlay with Siri is great for everything else
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
MBS just called, they cant figure out why the car cant park itself.... They said other models don't have this problem and in the SClass they have no bulletins yet from MB. I told them to keep the car till they figure it out... Nuttin but da best...
Old 10-23-2016, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
MBS just called, they cant figure out why the car cant park itself.... They said other models don't have this problem and in the SClass they have no bulletins yet from MB. I told them to keep the car till they figure it out... Nuttin but da best...
MB Dealer said they have 2 other cars with the same problem. MB field rep test drove the car, stated at this time they do not have a resolution and information was sent to MB. Will keep you posted. I guess more cars have the problem but most people don't use it. I would recommend you test it a few times to at least get in documented before your warrantee runs out...