*2 Min Survey about Next Gen Suspension - Please help me for my class at MIT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Self Driving Car
*2 Min Survey about Next Gen Suspension - Please help me for my class at MIT

Hey Fellow Enthusiasts,

As part of a class project, I am working with a local MIT Start-Up (ClearMotion)to help them with their pricing strategy for their next-gen suspension system. They are targeting luxury vehicles, the system would be an option via the OEM.
Please help me out by taking the survey. I promise it till only take 2-3 minutes and you'll enjoy it!

Survey Link: http://mit.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_86osxQauHAy7kZT

Cheers!
Old 10-14-2016, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 354 Likes on 232 Posts
S600
As to the underlying premis::

I am different than many to most drivers:
a) I find drivers aids annoying and sometimes dangerous
b) I find predictability of the car to be preferred over absolute comfort

I am a qualified "High Performance Driving" instructor. I am qualified to teach people how not to wreck cars at high speeds on road race tracks, how to have fun doing this, and how to drive home safely afterwards.

About 10 years ago we started to notice certain cars spinning off the tracks backwards towards the insides of turns. This is highly unusual. When we finally put out finger on the problem what happens is the a driver gets the car a "little bit" outside of the normal driven envelope. Then the car makes a correction at the same time the driver makes a correction. Either one or the other would be fine, but both corrections at the same time results in a spin towards the insides of the track.

We are trying to teach the students how to drive at the edge of the envelope, how to feel the car at the edge of the envelope, how and when to make corrections, how long to wait until the correction is removed.

When the car interferes, it makes it vastly harder to teach these necessary skills.
And so few cars with these features allow the drivers to switch them off.
Having the car default to the safe mode at each startup is equally dangerous, because the cars undergo startups dozens of times per day.