G90

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 09:03 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts
G90

Saw the new Genesis G90 on the road blk/blk and with all the goodies (nice rims etc). At first from the rear 3/4 view I thought it was a Bentley, but as I got closer I wasn't sure what it was, it looked good with a commanding presence. Granted it certainly is not an S class, but for the money $70k gets top of the line trim with a 420 hp 5.0 V8, 8 speed and all the latest safety features...even the 19"rims are sound absorbing. This appears to be a very solid effort by Hyundai with very select (Genesis only) dealerships selling it (they better be very selective here). I don't know all that much about these cars and would most likely never own one, but while remaining objective I must say good for them. Car and Driver gave it 4.5 stars.

Pictures may not do this car justice but here's a decent one from the web and an interior shot of the well sized back seat/area:

Last edited by RJC; 12-20-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 642 Likes on 481 Posts
W212 FL
I don't know whether designers of these are also in vacuum cleaning business because interior quality SUCK . I can see how poorly manufactured those faux wood trim as well as cheap looking gray surrounding trim
Sorry, I would stick to real deal in this case a Mercedes-Benz S Class .These Asian cars are reminiscent of wanna be Rolex brands who emulate the real thing to incorporate of their hallmark features
Old 12-21-2016, 10:31 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

The head designer was hired from Bugatti and there's no fake wood from what I just read...actually most materials, systems and components appear to be quite high end on par with MB, BMW, Lexus etc:

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...b#/8069a72b/19

http://www.genesisnewsusa.com/us/en/...sreleases/list

Interestingly Genesis is saying this is a mid size luxury car, so they must have something even grander in the works...the car I saw appeared to be quite large. Like I said earlier, nice effort and good for them.

Last edited by RJC; 12-21-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:02 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,417 Likes on 2,856 Posts
2012 CLS63
I agree.......a lot of car makers have caught up to these 'other guys'.....I won't be shopping MB next go 'round
Old 12-22-2016, 10:05 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think this is healthy competition from S Korea and good medicine to keep all of the big Euro brands on their toes. Look at how much market share Lexus took away from the Euro big four since they debuted here in 1989. I really like MB and they have done right by me over the years, but they are still not as good in some areas as others. By owning different Euro/US/Asian car brands I can clearly see/feel the difference on say who makes a better engine or trans, or who's leather wears better as an example. The Asians have caught up in many cases, while exceeding the Euro makers in some areas. but they still lack in others. The US has come a long way but unfortunately imho still lags in many areas. Look what the Asians did to the US market share forcing us to dramatically increase quality. All good stuff.

Last edited by RJC; 12-22-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,729 Likes on 2,130 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by RJC
I think this is healthy competition from S Korea and good medicine to keep all of the big Euro brands on their toes. Look at how much market share Lexus took away from the Euro big four since they debuted here in 1989. I really like MB and they have done right by me over the years, but they are still not as good in some areas as others. By owning different Euro/US/Asian car brands I can clearly see/feel the difference on say who makes a better engine or trans, or who's leather wears better as an example. The Asians have caught up in many cases, while exceeding the Euro makers in some areas. but they still lack in others. The US has come a long way but unfortunately imho still lags in many areas. Look what the Asians did to the US market share forcing us to dramatically increase quality. All good stuff.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I would like to see a crash test "shoot out" done between the W222, 7 Series, A8, Lexus LS and this new G90. I believe that the MB is the safest of the group, but I would really like to know if a true winner can be clearly determined. Probably never happen, unless one of the manufacturers was convinced they would win and would fund the entire test to prove it. What a PR sensation that would be!
The following users liked this post:
aypues (12-27-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 09:25 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Streamliner
I would like to see a crash test "shoot out" done between the W222, 7 Series, A8, Lexus LS and this new G90. I believe that the MB is the safest of the group, but I would really like to know if a true winner can be clearly determined. Probably never happen, unless one of the manufacturers was convinced they would win and would fund the entire test to prove it. What a PR sensation that would be!
That would be nice to see indeed, but does MB even provide S classes for these types of tests?

FWIW, the G90 was provided for testing and is a 2017 IIHS Top Safety Pick Plus http://www.genesisnewsusa.com/us/en/...sreleases/list

Last edited by RJC; 12-23-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:28 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for understanding this and the objectivity
Old 12-23-2016, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RJC
That would be nice too see indeed, but does MB even provide S classes for these types of tests?

FWIW, the G90 was provided for testing and is a 2017 IIHS Top Safety Pick Plus http://www.genesisnewsusa.com/us/en/...sreleases/list
This is great. If enough of the competitors in this segment provide test cars, pretty soon, they will all feel compelled to do so as well. What a frigging shoot out that would be!
Merry Christmas to all,
Streamliner
Old 12-23-2016, 09:34 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is great. If enough of the competitors in this segment provide test cars, pretty soon, they will all feel compelled to do so as well. What a frigging shoot out that would be!
Merry Christmas to all,
Streamliner
Merry Christmas to you and everyone here.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,319 Likes on 2,055 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by RJC
Competition is great and everyone wins in the process.
Lexus was a different issue though. The Germans at the time felt they had a safe market and were simply caught off guard.
Lexus did their homework and launched their brand successfully. At the time of course their LS400 started at $35k while the S-Class was in the $70k range. Big enticement. The LS was sold at a loss at the time. This naturally changed as we know from the LS460 pricing. Expensive, ancient and a combination of boring and ugly.

Re. the G90, it is a fine car so I would never dismiss that but technically the Germans are better. The G90 is not better, just cheaper.

The G90 has also received decent ratings in Germany but clearly was rated below the German models.

What still bothers me the amount of design theft and the G90 has a good amount of that in it...
Old 12-24-2016, 07:06 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Competition is great and everyone wins in the process.
Lexus was a different issue though. The Germans at the time felt they had a safe market and were simply caught off guard.
Lexus did their homework and launched their brand successfully. At the time of course their LS400 started at $35k while the S-Class was in the $70k range. Big enticement. The LS was sold at a loss at the time. This naturally changed as we know from the LS460 pricing. Expensive, ancient and a combination of boring and ugly.

Re. the G90, it is a fine car so I would never dismiss that but technically the Germans are better. The G90 is not better, just cheaper.

The G90 has also received decent ratings in Germany but clearly was rated below the German models.

What still bothers me the amount of design theft and the G90 has a good amount of that in it...
Lexus' big appeal was also its quality and the treatment of their clients which were both superb. It also offered some a choice of not having to by German for a high quality luxury car.

Keep in mind I subsequently discovered the G90 is their mid-size luxury car and not a direct competitor to the full size euro cars like our S. It will be interesting to see what the Genesis' big dog version will be.

I agree, the Asian's are guilty of 'using' many design elements of others; that's why when I saw the G90's rear 3/4 view from a distance I thought it was a Bentley.

Last edited by RJC; 12-24-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,319 Likes on 2,055 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by RJC
Lexus' big appeal was also its quality and the treatment of their clients which were both superb. It also offered some a choice of not having to by German for a high quality luxury car.

Keep in mind I subsequently discovered the G90 is their mid-size luxury car and not a direct competitor to the full size euro cars like our S. It will be interesting to see what the Genesis' big dog version will be.

I agree, the Asian's are guilty of 'using' many design elements of others; that's why when I saw the G90's rear 3/4 view from a distance I thought it was a Bentley.
Agree that Lexus had had the quality aspect in the first years the primary appeal was price. If Lexus would have launched the LS400 at MB's price point, the company would either not exist or be a small player.

Re. the G90, they are calling it their flagship sedan and I doubt that they are coming out with anything bigger, unless it's a China-only product. They don't have the brand to support that.

The car doesn't sell much anywhere but Asia. Reported US sales to date are 400 cars and less in Europe.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2016, 08:58 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Agree that Lexus had had the quality aspect in the first years the primary appeal was price. If Lexus would have launched the LS400 at MB's price point, the company would either not exist or be a small player.

Re. the G90, they are calling it their flagship sedan and I doubt that they are coming out with anything bigger, unless it's a China-only product. They don't have the brand to support that.

The car doesn't sell much anywhere but Asia. Reported US sales to date are 400 cars and less in Europe.

Merry Christmas!
This must not be their mid-size effort if it's a flagship. I believe the G90 just came out mid-late Oct and there's been little to no marketing here so far.

Merry Christmas to you!

Last edited by RJC; 12-24-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by RJC

The G90 is NOT their midsize car. Where are you getting this from? It is their full size, top of the line car. The G80 is their midsize car.

M
Old 12-26-2016, 11:18 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Germancar1
The G90 is NOT their midsize car. Where are you getting this from? It is their full size, top of the line car. The G80 is their midsize car.

M
Read it somewhere.
See my post above where I corrected this. This must not be their mid-size effort if it's a flagship
Old 12-27-2016, 10:24 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2016 CLS 400 4matic
An interesting offering for sure for people who do not necessarily want to pay S class money. Of course it is quite close to the price of an LS.