S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Lack of Trim levels in S-class hurt its resale values

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s550
Lack of Trim levels in S-class hurt its resale values

I would argue that highly optioned S-class resale values are terrible terrible because of lack of trim levels. What do you say?
Old 12-29-2016, 07:31 PM

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
s550
and your notion is based on what?
Old 12-30-2016, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by e_dasani
I would argue that highly optioned S-class resale values are terrible terrible because of lack of trim levels. What do you say?
For every $1k more you spend on options you get back maybe a $100 in resale.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by absent
I don't think you can solely look at it that way.

You don't get certain options and the amount of potential buyers decreases significantly.

You don't get any options and no one will want to buy it.

Example: I don't ever use the SATNAV in my cars. But I pretty much always spec it as that is a huge deal breaker for a lot of people when buying a car.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Nothing new here.

It has always been this way, for years and years. Nothing is different this year.

Historically, optioning out a car was never a profitable way to go on resale value.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:00 AM

s550
I tend to agree, interesting quantification!

Old 12-30-2016, 10:20 AM

s550
This maybe a more simplistic notion that more options more buyers and more value. In my view, MB structures the various options in a way that makes it hard for marketability of them, i.e. lack of 'awareness theory'. Folks on this forum in general are the enthusiasts - very particular about options, a small but highly aware crowd, but for the sizeable typical buyer, they cant go through the highly disorganized maze of options due to lack of structure i.e. lack of trim levels.

Take for e.g. sale sites, I went through like 100 listings and couldn't find a single listing, a single listing, with correctly laid out options. It appeared to seem that a standard s550 with nothing added to it, to be almost same as a highly optioned one. For a typical buyer, had had there been s550 gold trim (that includes Night vision option, rear seat package, etc. etc) vs, s550 silver trim (that does not include any of gold trim, but basic distronics etc). Such info in my view would lift resale value for options, simply due to 'awareness theory'.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:23 AM

s550
agreed.

Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
Historically, optioning out a car was never a profitable way to go on resale value.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:24 AM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Mixing sellability and price are two different things.

Options tend to make minimal price difference, but make it much easier to sell. How much of a difference if trading in is probably in the $2-300 range.

Private sale could put off 50% of buyers and mean it takes longer to sell for the right price.

But compared to what you would shell out in new options, not having them at sale time is a minor issue financially in comparison.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by e_dasani
This maybe a more simplistic notion that more options more buyers and more value. In my view, MB structures the various options in a way that makes it hard for marketability of them, i.e. lack of 'awareness theory'. Folks on this forum in general are the enthusiasts - very particular about options, a small but highly aware crowd, but for the sizeable typical buyer, they cant go through the highly disorganized maze of options due to lack of structure i.e. lack of trim levels.

Take for e.g. sale sites, I went through like 100 listings and couldn't find a single listing, a single listing, with correctly laid out options. It appeared to seem that a standard s550 with nothing added to it, to be almost same as a highly optioned one. For a typical buyer, had had there been s550 gold trim (that includes Night vision option, rear seat package, etc. etc) vs, s550 silver trim (that does not include any of gold trim, but basic distronics etc). Such info in my view would lift resale value for options, simply due to 'awareness theory'.
I agree. For the most part, so many people are just like sheep when buying a new car. They find the model they want in a color they like and they get it. You just can't imagine how many times I explain about the Driver's Assistance Pkg. to other late model MB owners, who have absolutely NO IDEA what it is. As an expensive option, dealers don't order it for cars put into stock and salespeople rarely even mention it. Magic Body Control?? Forgetaboutit! Even on this site, so many members seen WAY more interested in things like the Sports Pkg and AMG wheels than they are in all the other, amazing options.

As far as designating trim levels, I don't believe any of the big German companies have ever done this and I doubt that they will start. I just wish the option list was longer, so one could truly "tailor make" their car, even more so, exactly as they want it. At the price level of the S Class and other high end MB vehicles, such flexibility in ordering should be a given. Oh well.