S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Lease end

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Lease end

So the lease is going to end on my S550 in October. It is a 30 month lease and I have a total of 6400 miles on it (Didn't drive it that much). I leased it for 10k miles a year because that was the lowest mileage they had available. I took the car to car max for a buy out price to see if I would have some benefit to selling to to them. Turns out carmax offered me $62k. I then had them call MB Financial and the pay off is $70k! I don't know if that is good or bad. I was hoping I would have some equity with the low mileage but apparently not. I have had success with my Cadillac Escalades. Now I parked the S550 in front of my Tesla and I won't drive anything but the S550 to even Home Depot (why not?)

Thoughts?
Old 07-26-2017, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by heffneil
So the lease is going to end on my S550 in October. It is a 30 month lease and I have a total of 6400 miles on it (Didn't drive it that much). I leased it for 10k miles a year because that was the lowest mileage they had available. I took the car to car max for a buy out price to see if I would have some benefit to selling to to them. Turns out carmax offered me $62k. I then had them call MB Financial and the pay off is $70k! I don't know if that is good or bad. I was hoping I would have some equity with the low mileage but apparently not. I have had success with my Cadillac Escalades. Now I parked the S550 in front of my Tesla and I won't drive anything but the S550 to even Home Depot (why not?)

Thoughts?
In the good old days, you used to be able to get some equity built up on these cars, in some limited circumstances.

Today, MB Financial uses the residuals as a financing tool to lower monthly rates. It is very unlikely, in recent years environment, that you will ever be able to build up equity in your car, compared to the residual buyout value.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts
Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by heffneil

Thoughts?
Just turn in the lease and move on.
Let MB slap a CPO sticker on it and sell it to the next guy for $75000.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
Today, MB Financial uses the residuals as a financing tool to lower monthly rates. It is very unlikely, in recent years environment, that you will ever be able to build up equity in your car, compared to the residual buyout value.
For the purpose of a lease, that approach seems better than paying more for the rare event of building enough equity in case of a sale/trade.